Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Any ideas - I'm 47, 1 week late, coil, out of date pregnancy test

(5 Posts)
susiefen Fri 23-Aug-13 21:43:30

OK - any thoughts? As above, I'm 47, came off pill about 2 years ago and had a copper coil fitted. Periods have been relatively regular, but a bit hit and miss at times and now are heavier but shorter. I'm now a week late from what I expected and used pregnancy test I found in wardrobe (bought when came off pill and panicked). It was negative, but I realised it had an expiry date of March this year. Not sure if I need to get a new one, or if lateness of period may be start of menopause or something. The PG test gave me the test line OK but nothing in other window, so I'm hoping it's accurate. For the record, my DC are grown up, really not planning on starting again!
Any advice gratefully received
Thanks

asandwichshort Sat 24-Aug-13 09:01:00

This is how my menopause started and I went through quite a few pregnancy tests!!!! I think perhaps this is what yours is but obv get a new test to make sure. To be honest i was a bit paranoid and tested loads during my menopause probably because my last dd was born just before 45th Birthday shock

Gemdar Sat 24-Aug-13 13:07:04

I used a pg test that was 12 months out of date which gave a positive result so hopefully your result is correct!

AuntieStella Sat 24-Aug-13 13:13:57

At 47, menopause is more likely than PG (especially as your cycle has begun to change). I've no idea how long after official date a test would still be reliable. So probably worth doing another one.

Like asandwichshort I went through quite a few tests!

AuntieStella Sat 24-Aug-13 13:15:18

Oh, and the first 'menopausal' test was with a left-over stick that was out of date, and gave a (true) negative.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now