Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Implanon implant! What experiences have you had ?

(8 Posts)
Newlywed2013 Mon 19-Aug-13 14:29:30

Hi, I have had the implant for a few years and after having it in had a complete loss in sex drive which followed by sex being far too painful to be able to have intercourse.

Also getting it removed is proving to be a problem, it has gone missing, I had it checked a few years ago and it was there but had moved.
Every time I have started getting into the process of getting it removed I have had to move which puts me back to square one as it takes 3 months to get an appointment for a scan!
Latest scan it can't be found and I don't know what to do or where i stand! What's going to happen now?

What are other people's experiences of the implant?

X

tryasimight Mon 19-Aug-13 15:01:50

I had it and hated it. It sent my moods haywire, I felt like a different person.

I have it removed after a few months and the family planning clinic said they had had loads of people back in to have them removed after a short period on it.

Newlywed2013 Fri 23-Aug-13 14:03:40

woohoo just heard from dr, a referal has gone to the consultant radiologist!! hopefully it wont be too long!! smile

RegainingUnconsciousness Fri 23-Aug-13 14:13:10

I had one years ago. Had a year of breakthrough bleeding and had it removed (mine stayed put, I have a particular talent for scar tissue!).

More recently I've had a copper coil, which has been ideal - no hormones, so I feel like me, and no undesirable symptoms. I'd recommend it.

trinitybleu Fri 23-Aug-13 15:29:37

Just had a new one put in. Had the old one 3 years and loved it. No periods at all. Mine had moved a bit so was a bit tricky to remove but had it done by GP and only sore for a couple of days.

Ruprekt Fri 23-Aug-13 15:32:23

I have bled a lot on it and I think my sex drive has nosedived a bit. Am also a grumpy cow.

We also use condoms as well as the implant. Am terrified of getting pg again but not sure of the alternatives!

HeirToTheIronThrone Fri 23-Aug-13 15:33:02

I think maybe I was lucky - mine was great, periods a bit random but nothing else. The only thing I don't like was I now have a scar where I had it out, but hoping that will fade as it wasn't long ago. I'd have had another straight away but hopefully ttc next year and didn't want to have to have it removed before its time was up!

lost my sex drive so that was no good.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now