Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Another Cerazette Query...

(9 Posts)
ElizaDoMore Wed 31-Jul-13 17:58:49

I'm just coming to the end of my first 3 months of Cerazette.
I'm having "surprise" periods and it's not much fun.
Can anyone tell me if this is likely to settle down over time or should I try something else?
I've previously been prescribed Microgynon and Micronor. Microgynon made me gain weight and Micronor had a terrible effect on my moods.

Iwaswatchingthat Wed 31-Jul-13 18:09:52

I came off cerazette as I bled almost every day.

Not major - need to use a tampon bleeding, but the kind you get at the start and end of a period where it is just there when you wipe.

I took it for about six months and it did not settle down. It also made me feel really low.

Sorry to not be more positive about it, but honestly I hated it!!!

Iwaswatchingthat Wed 31-Jul-13 18:13:43

I took one specifically for acne and PCOS symptoms for years and it was ace, but they took me off it when they realised I had migraines and apparently too much oestrogen can cause problems.

It was called dianette. Think it has had bad press lately though.

ElizaDoMore Wed 31-Jul-13 23:09:49

Iwaswatchingthat That's the kind I'm having. Think I'll talk it through with my GP. I have a friend who's a Dr and he thinks the coil might be my next option. Not that keen, tbh.

Iwaswatchingthat Thu 01-Aug-13 08:35:05

I was not keen on coil either, so DH went for vasectomy. That brought its own regrets....anyway, that is another thread.

Contraceptive is hard work though!!!!

Good luck in your search.

ElizaDoMore Thu 01-Aug-13 13:01:43

Thanks Iwaswatchingthat flowers

INeedtoDrinkLess Thu 01-Aug-13 13:15:51

I had the same problem for the first 3 months and was going to change to coil but as it turned out I didn't (long story) and luckily by month 4 things had settled down a lot.
Now I get a sort of v light period for a few days every 5-6 weeks - a huge improvement on what things used to be like.
I would suggest holding out for another 3 months, that was what was suggested at FP clinic - you may be lucky.
Fingers crossed.

LouiseAderyn Wed 14-Aug-13 10:52:30

I am taking cerazette because I was getting very heavy periods every 3 weeks or so. Have been taking it for a couple of months and it seemed fine at first (went over a month without a period, which was great) but then had a period (normal - not light but not very heavy either), had about 4 days after with no bleeding and now I have a light period, like you describe.

Am pissed off, because I only went on it so i could control my periods!

ElizaDoMore Sun 18-Aug-13 14:26:27

I'm going to stop taking it. I'm not happy and I've gained half a stone. OH is willing to have a vasectomy too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now