Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Out of date Implanon

(3 Posts)
Timeforabiscuit Fri 12-Jul-13 17:09:56

ARRGGGh - I've just stumbled across my implanon card and it was supposed to be replaced by the 28th March.... and as it's now July it's 4 months out of date.

I've booked in with the GP to have it replaced next week - but my periods have been noticeably stronger lately, and DH and I have been ahem continuing as normal.

Does anyone know how long after the expiration an implanon can keep going for?

Before flaming I know contraception is my responsibility but the nurse said a letter would be sent when it was due for replacement and they seem to have no problem reminding me about my ruddy smear test angry

Mine ran out at the end of May, have just had it out this week (I'm not having a replacement as didn't get on with it that well). When I spoke to the GP she seemed fairly relaxed about the implant still being effective after the official 'expiration' date, but obviously it does tail off at some point.

Worth doing a pg test to put your mind at rest, plus using condoms/other contraception until you're fully implanon-ed up again.

Hope it's all fine.

Timeforabiscuit Fri 12-Jul-13 20:13:57

Thanks rhinestone - I pleaded with the receptionist and she found an earlier slot for me ( it was going to be in three weeks time!) - but will be little miss safety until then!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now