Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

My Mirena

(5 Posts)
HenriettaHedgehog Thu 04-Jul-13 23:49:33

Ahh, that scares me as my periods stopped 2 months after I had it so I always wonder how I'll know. How did you find out?

YoniMatopoeia Thu 04-Jul-13 23:44:16

P.s. I got pg with a merina. Dd is 7 in august.

YoniMatopoeia Thu 04-Jul-13 23:43:11

The pill, as I understand it, also thins the lining of the womb, so that it is less likely to hold a fertilised egg. It makes a fretilised egg less likely, by inhibiting egg production and sperm access.

The merina coil is similar. It does two of the same jobs , just less on stopping ovulation.

If you want no fertilised eggs then you need a barrier method.

HenriettaHedgehog Thu 04-Jul-13 23:31:52

*effects

HenriettaHedgehog Thu 04-Jul-13 23:30:58

I must hold my hands up and admit, when I had the mirena fitted I just wanted a solution to the horrible side affects I was having on the pill. After 3-4 years of trying different methods of contraception, the mirena has been working perfectly for almost a year now.
Until I read that it causes the lining of the womb to be incapable of holding a fertilised egg.
I don't want my eggs fertilised, that's why I'm using contraception! Now I feel horrible and can't stop thinking about how many fertilised eggs I could have lost in the past year?!

Am I missing something? I am completely to blame by simply hearing the words "releases hormones" and assuming that it prevents me from ovulating.

What do I do? Go back to miserable side effects from the pill but feel happy knowing my eggs aren't being fertilised? Or carry on, making me even more broody (not starting ttc until next year) and wondering what could be if only the egg was given a chance.

Any advice/thoughts?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now