Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

snip or sterilisation?

(29 Posts)
MerryMarigold Sun 19-May-13 21:25:36

Definitely do not want any more kids.

Dh not hugely keen on snip. I don't mind being sterilised, but no idea of how painful or how long I would be out of action (3 youngish kids).

Any experiences? Is either more reliable than the other?

MerryMarigold Mon 20-May-13 19:40:50

ShowOfHands, why are you reluctant to go ahead with the sterilisation?

ShowOfHands Mon 20-May-13 20:28:33

I'm not necessarily reluctant. I prefer the failure rate of the vasectomy. Plus, for 14 years the contraception has fallen largely to me. I've had a coil, I've been on the pill, I've had an unwanted pregnancy, two very difficult labours and two emergency caesareans. I think DH has always sort of felt that this was something he could do iyswim. Our fertility has fallen to me for so long and I suppose I've been through it a bit. He would like to do this bit.

MerryMarigold Mon 20-May-13 22:02:43

That's nice, Show. Yes, my friend keeps saying, "You've carried twins and another child...it's his turn." But he is not that keen. I think the failure rate may sway him (I won't show him Thefuzz's experience).

TheFuzz Tue 21-May-13 13:03:59

Ah, cyclist.

I say that, I too cycle all the time, 30 miles a day, but since my snip anything over the commuting miles, e.g. weekend rides, has me in agony for weeks. Just weeks before I'd ridden 120 miles in 6 hours - no more ! Had planned for a Coast to Coast and back - over 300 miles in 2 days - can't even contemplate that now.

I've never had any touble down stairs, so this has knocked me back.

I'd go back to the GP and explain the history. The snip had me off the bike for 4 weeks, and getting back on was probably one of the most painful experiences I've had - was in agony. I'd also suggest General.

Having the snip puts pressure on the epididimus, and can cause cysts as a result of the proces,s so if he has dodgy bits, he is better getting it done at a hospital rather than the cut and shut GP practice.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now