Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

How reliable is Cerazette- and side effects?

(35 Posts)
bella65 Sat 11-May-13 09:36:21

Asking for my DD who is changing pills. She has just come out of a relationship ( but I think she is hoping for a reconciliation) and wants to carry on taking the pill. Pregnancy would be a disaster so she needs something that works!

She has tried about 4 brands before and was on a low dose one- not sure which but oestrogen 20mcgs. Her side effects were getting worse after a few years- mainly migraines during the bleeding stage.

Her new GP has put her on Cerazette _ is it as reliable as combined pill?
Also,she was first put on the pill- Dianette- for acne , then had to have Roaccutane to clear it up. Isn't a POP pill more likely to give her skin problems again?

ThedementedPenguin Sun 12-May-13 17:43:52

Sorry I never seen the reply. Yes I got pregnant on it. Took it everyday same time. Was a shock.

kefybaby Sun 12-May-13 18:04:39

Lion, this is scary. I have also just been prescribed it (again) and I am BF...
Erratic bleading was also an issue for me when I was on it before. I would not have gone back on it if it was not deemed to be safe (?) whilst BF.

Dahlialover Mon 13-May-13 17:48:44

I had bad headaches using some combined pills. The best way to avoid it was to keep a bottle of water by me during the week off, and never get thirsty (ever!).
Then to take paracetamol at the first sign of a headache if that failed, then neurophen plus and bed when all else failed.

DontNickMyMilk Tue 11-Jun-13 22:18:45

Bell65 - are you my mum? wink

I too had Diannette from aged 19 due to bad skin, and also went down the Roaccutane route (evil drug, nosebleeds all the time, didn't sort out my skin). Stayed on Diannette until aged 30. Terrible migraines each month due to withdrawal. Went on cerrazette. Fabulous in terms of having no periods, never having to worry about holidays etc. but I have the skin of a 15 year old (and not in a good way - oil slick!) and am prone to boil-like spots long my jawline. No libido. I'm browsing this set of threads looking for an alternative!

MarshmallowRoot Fri 21-Jun-13 21:29:54

I didn't get on with it - mood swings, exacerbated my acne to horrendous levels, hair started falling out.

I have PCOS though and I have come to the conclusion my body needs the oestrogen balance in combined pills.

I have friends though who love it and get on well with it.

Anyway, I am on low dose combined (Mercilon 20/150) and I get headaches in the pill-free week. If they ONLY occur in the pill-free week , according to my consultant, they are not "real" headaches (although they feel it!) , they are oestrogen withdrawal headaches. She offered me low dose oestrogen patches for during the pill free week to stop the "crash" of oestrogen. I didn't take her up on it because my pill free week headaches are not so severe, but just wanted to let people know of a possible option. Although you may have to get referred to the 'complex contraception clinic' as it's called here. I am inclined to trust her as she writes the guidelines for the NHS on contraception. Often GPs are useless for contraception, I've found family planning are better. x

SizzleSazz Fri 21-Jun-13 21:33:56

I took it for 8 years, never got pregnant and no side effects. Never had ANY bleeding whilst on it.

However I have seen many threads where people really don't get on with it - bleeding/moods etc, so I think she would just have to try it and see how she gets on

FeegleFion Fri 21-Jun-13 21:34:25

The 'side-effect' of using Cerazette, for me, was DS (now 6 months).

I love love love my baby but 13 years of Microgynon resulted in no pg's.

YoniRanger Fri 21-Jun-13 21:41:20

I got pregnant two days after I stopped taking it.

There seems to be a lot of anecdotal evidence that its not the best contraceptive grin

Tubemole1 Mon 24-Jun-13 21:35:51

I have had a very itchy, sore vagina whilst taking cerezette. The lovely dr's at my local sexual health clinic keep giving me full health screens down below but nothing comes up, so dh did some research asnd found evidence that Cerezette can cause vaginal skin infections. The dr's gave me micronidozole for the infection and it went away for as couple of months then it came back again.

I am now coming off it and using condoms to see if the skin infections lessen. I hope eventually to go back to the SH clinic and find yet another contraception that suits. I have tried microgynon, the arm implant, the femidom, cap...all hopeless. Contraception works for me, as most types make sex uncomfortable and my very understanding husband can't get near!

scaevola Mon 24-Jun-13 21:38:50

Tubermole1: when did the itchiness start, and do you by any chance use Always towels or panytliners?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now