Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Coil and moon cup

(9 Posts)
lookout Fri 26-Apr-13 09:56:03

Just had my first coil fitted on Tuesday. Started bleeding the day after and have been using towels since. Dr said I shouldn't use tampons for first period, would this eb the same for a mooncup? Only wondering because supposed to take ds2 swimming this afternoon. Any advice appreciated!

WakeyCakey Mon 06-May-13 18:56:30

I read on the moon cup website that you should wait for something like 6weeks after getting the coil fitted

Tau Mon 06-May-13 19:03:12

I think Wakey is right. I didn't use my mooncup for two months after I had my coil fitted.
I used it once after that, but it made me a bit tense - complete nonsense, but I felt that perhaps those little threads would get caught and I'd pull the coil out with the mooncup. I repeat: that is very likely complete nonsense.

Fortunately my periods have become so insignificant that I haven't needed the mooncup, tampons or towels since!grin

janek Mon 06-May-13 19:24:25

I stopped using my mooncup after i had a mirena fitted, as i feared a vacuum extraction. I don't know how much of a danger this is, but it seems like one to me!

But my periods have been negligible anyway, so not really an issue.

lookout Wed 08-May-13 13:01:21

Thanks for the replies.

I have had heavy bleeding for practically the whole two weeks since I had mine fitted and it's driving me mad using towel angry. Not sure I can wait for another 4 weeks!!

Really hoping the bleeding calms down soon, I had no periods at all before (still breastfeeding), and very light before I got pregnant so this is all a bit much for me!

Fourkisses Wed 08-May-13 13:10:03

I was told no tampons or moon cup for 2 weeks. I was also told no swimming for 2 weeks, sorry

lookout Wed 08-May-13 21:16:49

I didn't go swimming that week so it was 10 days after the fitting that I went swimming. 2 weeks or 2 months?? Will try and contact mooncup to find out. Thanks all. PS Anyone know when bleeding calms down?

janek Thu 09-May-13 14:35:33

I think it takes a while, i was breast feeding when i had mine fitted too and found it pretty annoying, i also found i felt a bit ill, like i was going to get mastitis, my breasts were lumpy etc. but it did settle down eventually...

Nettee Wed 19-Jun-13 07:05:27

Hello there - I realise i am a bit late to this thread but just in case anyone googles it - my well established coil just came out with my mooncup in the first month of use. Have used lilets for a long time with no problems. I am feeling a bit annoyed to say the least.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now