Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Need help to think of a good little fib...

(10 Posts)
TheFuzz Fri 05-Apr-13 13:40:33

Simple Answer.

Don't tell them.

He will be in and out within 30 minutes if under local. I only mentioned it to my family when mine went wrong - wasn't an issue as my father had been done, but you can't hide it when you ask your parents to come round and mind the kids when you rush into A&E.

Normal recovery is a few days. Most cases are like this. Mine wasn't and I've still got problems after 6 months.

It's put my brother off ever having it done !

Coffee1Sugar Fri 05-Apr-13 09:29:11

An abcess in groin (trapped hair follicle) needs draining

meditrina Thu 04-Apr-13 21:09:52

Does it have to be a medical fib?

Or could it go general - exploding dishwasher, boiler repairs? (Or is that tempting fate?) Car needing MOT?

cbatbh Thu 04-Apr-13 21:05:27

I know its ridiculous, but she is one of those mothers with apron strings firmly attached to all of them. Only DH is down to the last threads.

Think Scaevola is right, it will depend on if he is the straightforward group or not and he wants to be ready with a fib if needed.

scaevola Thu 04-Apr-13 16:16:37

Few things:

a) search MN for the vasectomy threads over the last couple of months. There have been a number of us posting about them, most are straightforward (fortunately) but there have been a a few who have related the "what can go wrong". You may not want to tell DH you are doing this!

b) realise that you won't know whether your DH is in the straightforward majority or the unlucky ones until after the OP. So, do you need to tell extended family anything about his being off work (or is it a family firm)? If it's all OK, they won't even notice as it'll be so brief.

c) only if it's not OK are you likely to need to explain anything. And only when you know what's wrong and how long it might take to be righted will you knw the extent of plausible lie. Bad cold/tummy bug will probably cover it if it's just a few days settling; might need to be more creative if there are complications.

d) the 2WW to POAS is absolutely nothing compared to the 16WW for PVSA!

Had a suspicious mole removed from his bum area - couple of stitches, will explain funny walking & sitting & time off? You can say he got all clear on mole day of procedure so you don't get plagued with questions.

He could have a boil on his groin that he needs lanced,

He could have pulled a muscle.

You could have fallen out and gave him a kick and he has suffered severe bruising grin

BadSpellersUntie Thu 04-Apr-13 16:11:54

Why does his mother need to know that he has a day off work?

Just tell her he fancies a day off if any explanation is required at all.

TWinklyLittleStar Thu 04-Apr-13 16:10:55

Can't you just avoid them for a couple of days?

cbatbh Thu 04-Apr-13 16:08:53

DH is having a vasectomy in a few weeks. Totally his choice, he saw what I went through with DS and doesn't want me to go through that again. We have defo agreed we are happy with the number of children we have.

His biggest fear is actually his parents and siblings finding out. He is one of many children and he doesn't think that they will understand his choice, my MIL in particular will stick her nose in and interfere, say its a bad idea and just generally make him more stressed (she does this with everything, even minute things). She'll probably ring and text him hourly wanting updates on his balls grin.

Whilst I'm quite happy to tell them to keep their noses out, he would rather just come up with a bit of a medical fib story as to why he will be off work for the day (and likely be resting the following day or walking like John Wayne for a day or two grin. Whatever he tells her has to not sound serious or she will just stress like a stress head.

Mad, I know.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now