Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Does anyone think my suddenly giant belly might be to do with DEPO?

(7 Posts)
Posterofapombear Mon 01-Apr-13 00:41:29

I never felt that it increased my appetite particularly, more that I couldn't eat what I used to without OTT weight gain.

I have shifted the weight now but my metabolism is sluggish at best hmm

I'm a bit shocked really. I never gained a pound on oestrogen BCPs, why is it?? The articles I have read suggested it causes increased appetite, but that hasn't been my experience :-/

cookielove Sat 30-Mar-13 18:11:41

I put on a couple of stone on it hmm

Fuckity Sat 30-Mar-13 18:00:18

I put on two stone, and a year after stopping I have yet to shift any of it.

shock four stone poster! That's insane!

Did you find it piled on after the first year?

Posterofapombear Fri 29-Mar-13 12:27:42

I put on four stone in the second year of depo hmm

GP was unhelpful and it was pretty hard to shift. If you think it is stop using it as soon as you can!

So I've been on DEPO for almost 18 months. The first 6 months were blissful: no periods, no side effects, etc. Since then I'm bleeding increasingly, so think I'm coming off it.

Anyway, since January I've felt really podgy. I've always been one of those people who's thin, but a bit wobbly and could usually do with toning up, but it's usually in direct proportion with recent over-indulgence and a healthy few days sorts me out. But my belly has been getting uncontrollably big and wobbly, and I'm becoming alarmed. I've started watching what I eat and calorie counting (which I've never done) and got back into running (which I normally only do when the weather's decent) but I'm becoming increasingly conscious of a big mound which seems to be getting bigger.

Do you think my metabolism is finally catching up with me, or could it be that the famed Depo weight gain?

I was on Oestrogen contraception on and off for years before DEPO and never had any side effects, weight related or otherwise.

I'm not pregnant by the way grin

Thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now