Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

What sanitary protection with coil?

(11 Posts)
LaTristesse Tue 26-Mar-13 15:54:13

Some ideas please ladies - just had a coil fitted & they recommend not using tampons. Not keen on pads so what are my other options? I'd be up for trying a mooncup but assuming they're also not recommended with a coil?

ceeveebee Tue 26-Mar-13 16:12:27

How bizarre - I have just wanted to start a thread about this very same subject! I also was wondering whether mooncups can be used with a coil.
Also can you have sex while wearing a mooncup (during period) - the reason I ask is that there was an ad up there for a "softcup" which said you could....

the family planning association says its ok to use tampons with the coil. The mooncup website also says you can use it with a coil but should wait 6 weeks after the coil is fitted.

AmandinePoulain Sat 30-Mar-13 18:01:07

I use a mooncup, I started 6 weeks after insertion as per the mooncup guidelines and I'm still using it several weeks later as I'm still bleeding hmm

ArabellaBeaumaris Sat 30-Mar-13 18:07:02

I use a mooncup.

You can't have sex with a mooncup in, I think soft cups are more like diaphragms.

whosiwhatsit Sat 30-Mar-13 18:14:51

I've had a coil for three years and don't get periods so hopefully you won't either, but if you do how about absorbent thin panty liners? Or if those are too pad-like I suppose tampons but the concern there is that the wires from the coil can tangle up with the tampon and when you pull out the tampon the coil comes too. This isn't dangerous I don't think but would be damn annoying. Up to you if you want to risk it. I don't know about mooncups, sorry.

LaTristesse Tue 02-Apr-13 20:56:14

Thanks ladies. Will give a cup a go and see how I get on.
I have a copper coil so I'm assuming I will still have periods. Yes don't fancy a tampon pulling the thing out after the oh so pleasant experience of having it put in! But if it says you can... Mm... I'll see how I get on with the cup first. Thank you smile

intheshed Tue 02-Apr-13 21:00:28

I've had a copper coil for 2 years and use tampons, never had any problems. The nurse told me it was fine. I think it's highly unlikely a tampon could pull the coil out tbh.

Pamsie Tue 02-Apr-13 21:03:03

I'm the same as intheshed. I've had coil fitted and I've been using a tampon like I used to. I was never told not to and it hasn't caused any problems whatsoever.

Coffee1Sugar Thu 04-Apr-13 10:31:37

I had my mirena removed last week but used tampax lites (flow was so minimal but I despise liners and pads) with no problems whatsoever.

Redfox Thu 04-Apr-13 10:39:41

I have the copper coil and use tampons no problem. I read that you should not use a moon cup when you have a coil as there has been instances of it being pulled/ sucked out!
Anyone know the likelihood of this happening?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now