Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

morning after pill and breastfeeding

(8 Posts)
used2bthin Fri 22-Mar-13 10:24:22

Ok thanks, haven't been to get it yet so that's good to know. Dr is calling later about dd2s reflux so may be cheeky and ask for it to be prescribed, will see what they say.

MerryMingeWhingesAgain Fri 22-Mar-13 07:48:26

You don't need to miss any feeds, you can feed as usual with MAP. I have taken it when BF too, no probs.

used2bthin Fri 22-Mar-13 07:43:00

Thanks for the libation,I think having read that I can take it this morning . Hopefully if I can organise it in time and then bottle feed today then feed tonight.That's if it's just one . Pill now which I think it is.

used2bthin Fri 22-Mar-13 07:38:00

Thank you all. I feel slightly less stressed today but alarmed by reading the side effects are excessive tiredness as I have been up every hour and half with dd2 who has been a rubbish sleeper from birth and the reason I feel I am not sure about pnd, I feel ok on the rare occasion she sleeps in a three or four hour stretch once in the night!

You are right, I really can't cope with pregnancy and keep meaning to make gp appointment about vasectomy for dh (who thinks this is th e best option as we don't think Morris a good plan for many reasons)

Annoying when we tried to be careful. Used the withdrawal method before my periods came back and felt anxious every time about getting pregnant but in fact that probably would have been safer this time!

The thought of ex evasive tiredness,feeling sick etc and being woken constantly is just horrible but early pregnancy lasts longer than this will I guess.

Unlurked Thu 21-Mar-13 22:41:58

I took the map while bf with no problems. I went to the pharmacist rather than the gp and the man i saw was very helpful and knew what he was talking about. If you have trouble getting an appointment first thing go to the pharmacy to get the map then go and see your gp about how you're feeling. I hope you don't have any side effects this time though!

I took the morning after pill while BF, the Kellymom site says its ok. I was worried cos I took it years ago and felt really ill but this time I felt absolutely normal, no nausea or dizziness.

You can pay for the MAP without a prescription at most pharmacies if you can't get an appt.

LeggaDAISYcal Thu 21-Mar-13 22:24:05

Aw, love; sounds like you are having a hard time of things sad. But, chin up....I did a quick search of kellymom and found this

There is another resource for BFing and drugs, but it's been a while and I can't remember where to look. Let me trawl my memorty banks for a bit and see what I can come up with!

Try not to be too upset by it; these things happen. My DC3 is a result of shoddy family planning whilst BFing. DH was meant to have booked in for a vasectomy, but had been ill and it didn't happen. And although we took a calcuated risk it backfired!

the morning after pill doesn't agree with me either, but it might be for the best in your case; if you feel that you are on the verge of PND now, an unplanned pregnancy night just be too much strain and tip you over? <speaks as one who knows>

Go see your GP; tell him about the accident with the condom and also about how you are feeling. Just talking it through might help, or it may be that you need some help in getting through this low.

used2bthin Thu 21-Mar-13 21:38:34

Really stressed as a condom just split. I hate taking the morning after pill,last time was years back but it makes me really emotional and I am bordering on pnd atm as it is, dc2 is still breastfeeding but am substituting at least one feed a day with formula now and she is on soloists.

Can I take it and breastfeed? Been meaning to sort out something better than condoms and now thishashappened I am really upset.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now