Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

I'm having my coil out

(18 Posts)
Coffee1Sugar Tue 19-Mar-13 17:59:01

Next Thursday. What should I expect? I'm also on the pill too at the same time.

Coffee1Sugar Thu 21-Mar-13 17:27:20

Anyone??

WithASpider Thu 21-Mar-13 17:29:21

Which coil is it? I had my copper one out and conceived DS 4 days later.

Dr removed it, told me to cough and whipped it out. No pain at all, tiny bit of bleeding.

Good luck! grin

Coffee1Sugar Thu 21-Mar-13 18:16:14

Mirena coil. Oo good to hear a positive experience!

fuzzyduck1000 Thu 21-Mar-13 23:10:37

I had mine out Monday because of bleeding constantly while having it in place and had it swapped to a copper coil. I was dreading it from all the story's I'd read and it was nothing I'd imagined. It's really quick and you may get a little cramps feeling but that's about it

Coil removal is a bit of a non-event. In a good way grin - don't fret, it is usually easy and pain-free.

Pootlingalong Thu 21-Mar-13 23:19:27

Can you feel the threads? If so should be no bother, examination a bit like when you have a smear then quick cough and its out. If you can't feel the threads may well be rather different

chickenfactory Thu 21-Mar-13 23:34:51

Have to agree with Pacific, non event for me both times. Cough and it was gone.

Coffee1Sugar Fri 22-Mar-13 13:45:33

Great thanks! Did you bleed heavily (ie car crash) afterwards? That's what my practice nurse said confused

messagetoyourudy Fri 22-Mar-13 13:54:38

I think being able to feel the threads is the key thing. I was never told to check about this, and I really wish I had.
I went before christmas to have my coil out but they couldn't find it. I then had to go and have an ultra-sound to check it was still there. They then tried to remove it again - cue me pasing out twice and generally being unwell. Then on to a referal at hospital where a 12 year old gyni tried for a 3rd time to remove it - still no joy!
I am now awaiting surgery to have it out at the end of April!

If you can feel the threads yourself, then you can virtually remove your coil yourself grin - I am not recommending that you do, mind, but it's not technically a difficult thing to do.

If you cannot feel the threads, it does not mean that they are not there. They quite often curl up behind/around the cervix and usually easliy grasped with the help of a speculum and a pair tongy things. So don't fret is you cannot feel them.

Re bleeding: mild spotting is quite common; I have never experienced personally or caused heavy bleeding after coil removal <<counts herself lucky>>

fuzzyduck1000 Mon 25-Mar-13 14:58:41

Mines been out for 8 days now and I think I've just stopped bleeding (fingers crossed) and it was just like a normal/light period length nothing bad and I feel so much better not having it in anymore

Coffee1Sugar Mon 25-Mar-13 17:34:19

I'm really nervous about the removal blush

bishboschone Mon 25-Mar-13 17:36:37

Didn't hurt at all.. Nothing like going in.. Don't worry.

cupcake78 Mon 25-Mar-13 17:38:31

It was so easy! Big cough and it was out, felt nothinggrin. Significantly easier than getting it put in.

Coffee1Sugar Wed 27-Mar-13 17:08:51

Waiting in the docs - shaking! sad

Coffee1Sugar Wed 27-Mar-13 18:51:16

Came out easily grin Only discomfort was from the speculum but as soon as it was in doc smiled and said "that's it" to which I didn't believe it could be that quick! Bit crampy and woozy from all the anxiety I've had about it but no bleeding yet. Tampax are at the ready!

bishboschone Wed 27-Mar-13 19:17:49

Careful . I got pregnant the day after I had mine out ! wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now