Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

ZOMBIE THREAD ALERT: This thread hasn't been posted on for a while.

what is the next best alternative pill to dianette if I have pcos and acne?

(10 Posts)
TinyDiamond Thu 21-Feb-13 15:44:08

Apparently not allowed any more dianette, it's the only thing I have ever got on with. Can someone suggest something similar?
TIA

TinyDiamond Thu 21-Feb-13 21:36:53

NowIncognito Thu 21-Feb-13 21:41:22

Hi Tiny
Apart from Dianette, other combined pills which can be helpful for acne sufferers are Yasmin and Marvelon. Neither of them contain the anti-androgen (anti male hormone) ingredient present in Dianette, but definitely worth a try.

moggle Thu 21-Feb-13 21:44:09

I was on Dianette for acne from age 18 and at 22 or 23 the GP said the same thing about coming off - however another doctor told me it is safe to stay on it, but it's much more expensive than other pills so they're encouraged to move people off it after a few years (I think I was on it for 5 years). Don't know if that's true or not.
I went on Brevinor for a couple of cycles - acne disaster - then Yasmin which was great and kept the spots at bay for me as well as Dianette had.
Came off Yasmin at 30 to TTC... spots have come back with a vengeance so I guess it was working.

DorsetLass Thu 21-Feb-13 21:45:04

Oh I know how annoying that is - I was on it for ages and loved it, then Gp realised how long is been on it and I had to stop. I tired loads - and had a nightmare (sorry) with several. Best one I found was cerezette - I don't know about the science though sorry!

didireallysaythat Thu 21-Feb-13 21:45:11

Yasmin is keeping me spot free at the moment...

louderthanbombs Thu 21-Feb-13 21:48:47

Another one here voting for Yasmin. I was on dianette for ages then had to change, been on Yasmin for a couple of years now and haven't had any spots.

WifeofPie Thu 21-Feb-13 21:54:49

I'm 36 and have been on Dianette (it's called Diane here) for years. My doctor said it's fine to stay on it until menopause. I know that not all doctors share this view but I honestly feel so much better on it than off so I'm willing to take the risk. I've tried lots of others...other ones that worked well were Yasmin, Ortho Tri-Cyclen and Marvelon. There's another one that's recommended called Alesse but I didn't have any luck with that. Some of these might have different names in the UK...

PinkCanary Thu 21-Feb-13 22:02:01

I've been on Dianette for a few years but stopped taking it in May to try for another baby. After 6 months I couldn't bear it any longer and HAD to go back on. I was told that if I hadn't taken the break I would have had to stop as they only allow you about 3 years continued use. Don't know how I'll cope if I do have to stop in a few years as without it my face is more cysts than skin... :-/

TinyDiamond Thu 21-Feb-13 23:53:36

hmm well I've only been on it 6 months this time so maybe I should ask for a repeat script

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now