Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

I've come off Cerazette today, anyone else and how long did it take you to feel 'normal' again?

(4 Posts)
Snowme Fri 01-Mar-13 23:53:53

Someone said to me recently, that perhaps the only reason you read of so many horror stories about Cerazette when researching it on the net, is that people are more likely to post horror stories than satisfied ones.
So I bore that in ind when doing my extensive research for an alternative to Cerazette.

I was on it for around 6 months I think, possibly longer. This January, I reached a point where I just could not deal with life, I was having a quiet meltdown. I've never been depressed before. Cerazette made me bleed almost constantly, and I remember being angry a lot, or ,I suppose, perhaps it was PMT symptoms, which I'd never had before either.

Within 2 days of stopping it, the bleeding stopped. My period returned on it's regular date, and I haven't had any angry or overwhelming sadness moods since.

I'm about to go on the patch but this brief holiday from hormones has been bliss. I am utterly crestfallen at the idea of taking hormones again but I'm not brave enough to have a non hormonal copper coil inside my abdomen either. So I have no choice. What makes it worse, is that I am with a man who categorically doesn't want children, but chooses not to have a vasectomy. Which is fair enough, that also has health risks attached. Also we are hardly in a long term relationship, as we have only been seeing each other around 10 months.
I wish men realised exactly the serious health risks and daily emotional and physical
traumas women have to undergo with their hormone-based contraception choices sad

I came off depo as I was getting bad side affects, they put me on cerazette, I've been so up and down sad My DP gets the snip in March, I can't bloody wait to get off all birth control TBH. Good luck, hope you feel better.

motherofvikings Fri 15-Feb-13 11:08:50

I've just started a thread in chat about how emotionally numb its left me. I'm meant to be seeing the dr about it in a week but I might just stop now. All my good emotions have gone and I'm left with nothing or anger, tears or anxiety. sad

Have had several other side effects but the mood changes are awful! I've only been on it 6 weeks but that might be my limit. sad

MillyStar Fri 15-Feb-13 09:18:44

Morning!

Was due at the family planning clinic last night to get another 6 months worth of Cerazette.

I was on Ovranette for years until i fell pregnant and had my daughter last April, because of my BMI i then had to go on Cerazette.

I've thought that i was cracking up lately, ive put 1.5 stone on since giving birth, ive had headaches, been constantly exhausted (even when i go to bed at 9pm and my baby sleeps through the night) ive felt sick a lot at night, i've been anxious, every side effect you can think of!

I've had to pull my car over a few times lately to sob my heart out because i've felt so low and i was days away from going to the doctors about depression, then last night it dawned on me that it could be my pill!

Soooooooooo i've stopped taking it, i'm not in a relationship anymore so i'm having a complete break to give my body a rest and get back to normal, i've not had a period since before i fell pregnant in July 2011! I joined slimming world last Saturday so i plan to lose a few stone then when i need contraception again i can go back to Ovranette.

I had a look on the internet and was amazed at how badly this pill effects so many women!

I was just wondering if anyone else has come off it because of similar reasons to myself and when did you start to feel like yourself again?

I cant wait for the fog to lift!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now