Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

mirena coil

(8 Posts)
Docbrock Sat 23-Mar-13 13:59:38

Hi, don't be terrified....
I had mine put in 3 years ago, I have never had a baby so , yes it was painful going in and for a day or two after (like a strong period pain), you may need to take paracetamol and ibuprofen for a couple of days, but its fantastic!
Be warned you may bleed - spotting on and off for up to 6 months (I am a doctor as well and I always warn patients of this) but then it settles down and I have no periods at all. No weight gain or other symptoms because Miranda contains hormones which act locally on the endometrium rather than throughout the body like pills.
The Mirena coil works for 9/10 women and it works well. For some reason 1/10 women it just doesn't suit. This may account for some of the bad experiences.
In terms of them getting lost, I was advised to check the strings regularly (the same advice which i also give patients) which is fairly easy to do. If you don't feel them then the gp can check it out for you and sort it out.

I think if you go into it with all the knowledge about what to expect pain/bleeding wise you will have a better experience.
I would definitely recommend it for long acting reversible contraception or even for heavy periods.

Good luck smile

Sophiathesnowfairy Wed 20-Mar-13 21:41:04

I hate mine. I had it put in in jan and haven't stopped bleeding since. I am cross with the GP forcing me down this route when I said I didn't want artificial hormones. I wanted to be sterilise.

Anoushka2013 Tue 19-Mar-13 22:30:36

Hello, I have put on Mirena Coil 2 month ego and put on 4 kg! whilst exercising and on the a healthy diet. My doctor told me that my putting on weight has nothing to do with the coil. Have you to put on weight on the Mirena? I dont want to take it out if it has nothing to do with the weight.
Thank you

littletime Thu 28-Feb-13 21:58:42

Don't do it. I thought it look wonderful but as I have just returned from two days in hospital following a general anaesthetic to remove it. It took 14 months from when I first complained of excessive bleeding to get it out and serious pain now.
Sorry for the grumpy reply, but I read a lot on mums net the au before having mine fitted and decided that it wouldn't happen to me - how wrong I was?!

SarahGarden80 Tue 26-Feb-13 21:24:47

Hello,
a little bit of a good experience nowsmile

I have my second Mirena now, first fitted in at the age of 21, second just now 2 months ago at the age of 27. Fitting in is a little bit painful, but a very short process, not more than 2 minutes and its in. Taking out is completely free of pain. After both fittings, I had a pain similar to menstruation pain for next week, and was spotting for 2-3 weeks. After that, no monthly periods, no putting on weight, no migraines. You will never put on weight with mirena, because a) that exact type of hormone that is in Mirena is not responsible for water retention and putting on weight. b)even if it did, it works locally and is not going into whole system.

Good luck and all my recommendation.

wolfandi Tue 26-Feb-13 19:29:17

I've had it put in this afternoon. This is the second ive had in. I have a VERY strong reaction to having them in and have now collapsed twice afterwards. The GP told me today that most are very simple and almost pain free and that in his many years of doing this, I am one of the most difficult patients to fit this in.

This isn't meant to frighten you - the opposite. I am an oddity who has a ridiculous reaction - yet 4.5 hours later I am cosied up at home with a bit of stomach ache. That's pretty much worst case scenario for fitting. Most people are in and out and back to normal in no time. And then you should be able to forget it for the next 5 years!

YesAnastasia Wed 13-Feb-13 13:51:38

I had it for 5 years before DC and it was wonderful. It was a bit painful to insert but after that I completely forgot about it (and my periods).

The second time, after have DC, it was a breeze to insert. I'd taken co-codamol beforehand so I just put it down to that working. I then put on weight, felt depressed & moody and was having headaches & my sciatica was worse. I decided to have it removed but they couldn't find it, it was lost in my womb. After 5 different painful gyno attempts to remove, I had to have my womb filled with water and a camera to fish it out. I'm now fine shrugs but I'm back at the beginning option-wise.

There are pros and cons, you might love it like I did the first time.

oscarthegrouch Tue 12-Feb-13 21:04:02

doctor is advising I try this as the pill is just not suiting me (migraine, headaches , weight gain and generally run down). Is it sore? I'm slightly terrified

Any advice from someone who has it?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now