Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Doctors won't help me with pregnancy

(34 Posts)
Bribri16 Mon 11-Feb-13 21:09:14

Hi all, I have done 2 pregnancy but both came out different, I went to go to my doctors too see if they could do a blood pg test or a urine test but they said that none of the nurses or doctors won't deal won't deal or do it:/ any advice on what I can do now?

Sidge Wed 13-Feb-13 21:02:01

You are far more likely to get a false negative than a false positive so if your most recent test is positive then I'd be inclined to believe it.

Bribri16 Wed 13-Feb-13 08:01:42

I'm doing the Pee in the pot one tomorrow to hopefully help me, he third one came out positive but still had one negative. I wanted to go doctor to make sure or clear things up. I haven't had a proper period for 2 months, only spotting :/ I'm anxious x

LexyMa Wed 13-Feb-13 07:40:13

Do you want to be pregnant or are anxious that you might be?

doublecakeplease Wed 13-Feb-13 07:38:12

You could let us try to help? A few of us have suggested using fmu in a pot?

Are you 'late enough' for a test? They are usually very accurate. I really don't mean to be flippant but you are just possibly pregnant, not ill. Fingers crossed for you.

Bakingtins Wed 13-Feb-13 07:36:13

What result did the third test give, Bribri ?

Bribri16 Wed 13-Feb-13 07:30:04

But they could atleast help me or redirect me somewhere I would of though?

doublecakeplease Tue 12-Feb-13 18:59:57

£1 shop tests -they're as accurate as any. As Dahlia says - first morning wee into a scalded container and dip the test in.

I'm with Sidge - wouldn't think surgeries have the time or resources for random pg tests.
Hope you get the result you want.

Dahlialover Tue 12-Feb-13 17:10:53

I used to pee into a container (1st thing in the morning) and dip it in that, as I could never pee on the right bit......

I just had one done in hospital (gynae op) and the nurse used that method too.

Bribri16 Tue 12-Feb-13 15:55:49

I really do think its stupid. They telling me to get an other counter one when Iv took 3 but 2 have been different , so I wanted a blood pg test or urine test but woludnt give it too me. Not even an appointment , what am I meant to do now?

Sidge Tue 12-Feb-13 09:01:44

I can't speak for all surgeries but we just don't have the time or money to confirm what an accurate and reliable home pregnancy test has already told you!

If you say you're pregnant we tend to believe you grin

pookamoo Tue 12-Feb-13 08:48:35

First time I was pg I went in to see my GP and she made me an appointment with the midwife. Second time, I just phoned the surgery and asked for an appointment with the midwife.

TheSecretCervixDNCOP Mon 11-Feb-13 22:21:06

But its stupid though, when I was pregnant with DD and trying to book in they took a wee sample and sent it off to be tested by lab before they believed I was preg! GP's are usually the first platform to get an appointment with the midwife set up?

gaelicsheep Mon 11-Feb-13 22:08:53

The first thing my doctor did when I went to see with a +ve test was do another one to confirm.

Sidge Mon 11-Feb-13 22:03:17

Even if you made an appt with me for something personal I wouldn't do a routine pregnancy test, better to do your own with Early Morning Urine.

pookamoo Mon 11-Feb-13 22:02:51

the GP usually expects you to book an appointment with a midwife if you are pregnant, that's possibly why they seemed to be refusing to book you in?

I'd follow the advice upthread. Wait a few days and do another test (for my second pregnancy I used tests from Home Bargains, vary basic but only cost £1.99) I did 3.

Then make an appointment but don't tell the receptionist what it's for. You can speak to your GP.

doublecakeplease Mon 11-Feb-13 22:00:56

But cervix - if they don't do pg tests its just a waste of an appointment. Better to wait and test again.

Bribri16 Mon 11-Feb-13 22:00:50

Ok thank you very much , I will take a couple more and go to a health clinic if not i think

LovesBeingWokenEveryNight Mon 11-Feb-13 21:58:58

Listen to thesecretcervix she knows her stuff <taps nose with finger>

Sidge Mon 11-Feb-13 21:58:34

I would wait a few days and test again with your first urine of the day.

I'm a practice nurse and we won't do on demand pregnancy testing (even with an appoiuntment) - we just don't have the budget or appointments to do it.

The tests you buy over the counter are very sensitive so as reliable as anything we would use. We would only do blood tests if there was a need for absolute confirmation of pregnancy with beta-HCG levels as it's an expensive way to do a pregnancy test!

Bribri16 Mon 11-Feb-13 21:57:57

Oh I did not know that, I shall may have to do that, thankyou

doublecakeplease Mon 11-Feb-13 21:57:32

Ours don't do pg tests - just go by the home ones. I'd do another tomorrow with your very first wee. I did 5 a couple before i went to the Dr. Fingers crossed for you but not knowing for a couple of days won't hurt

TheSecretCervixDNCOP Mon 11-Feb-13 21:56:02

Ask for an appointment and when they ask what its for, tell them its personal, you are not obliged to tell the receptionist anything.

Bribri16 Mon 11-Feb-13 21:54:35

They asked me what it was about so I told them and they said they don't deal with it and that they can't give me an appointment , not even with a nurse!?

That isn't right... shock

I don't think GP surgeries can actually refuse to give an appointment, can they? confused

Bribri16 Mon 11-Feb-13 21:51:32

Refuse me full stop , they wouldn't even let me Book an appionment x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now