Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Anyone use or used a cap?

(8 Posts)
Clockless Sun 02-Sep-12 22:42:03

you have to be really up for messing around quite intimately. if your cervix is far back this will be more difficult. how have you got on?

Gigondas Fri 03-Aug-12 20:04:33

Thanks guy - am off to fpc as Gp admitted it was unusual

JuliaScurr Fri 03-Aug-12 20:04:05

Imagine trying to knit jam while wearing mittens.
The cap can be a leetle distracting ime

MrsGuyOfGisbourne Fri 03-Aug-12 20:01:13

I think caps are the ideal method.... And also have benefit re AF ( I am vintage before mooncups, but caps are just as good grin.)
For some reasons GPs disagree, so had great difficulty when last went for a new cap to get GP to prescribe - maybe in med school they no longer train?
Would recommend you go to FPC as they are trained in sizing, which is they key point. Also, if your partner can detect it is ther, either the sizing is wrong, or is wronly applied, so get it checked.

Gigondas Fri 03-Aug-12 19:45:05

The problem I have with condoms at moment is that had radiotherapy down there which has left me a bit sensitive to things (plus dh not keen but that is a side issuegrin). Will keep in mind about the sensitive ones and also the nicer spermicide.

Jellykat Fri 03-Aug-12 19:31:38

I used to use one when i was younger, found out at that time there were 2 different types of Spermicide, one was the bogstandard cream they prescribed which irritated me badly, but the clear (more expensive for the NHS) gel was fine for a while.

Caps are good, the hoiking them out afterwards didn't bother me although a bit squelchy, and the rinsing them out and leaving to dry somewhere is ok.

I did, after years, go with the non latex condoms, as they're a bit easier and i'd started having problems with the rubber they used for the cap.

catonlap Fri 03-Aug-12 19:12:24

Have you tried different condoms? Sometimes it is the spermicide that causes irritation or can be reaction to latex. You could run into the same problem with the cap as spermicide is advised. Have you tried with spermicide free condoms and non-latex condoms?

this is helpful info

Gigondas Fri 03-Aug-12 17:20:43

That's it- thinking of getting one put in(hormones and coil not suitable and condoms can irritate me). Any pros/cons

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now