Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Nexplanon implant thing - how I regret that!

(228 Posts)
Alwaysworthchecking Thu 18-Aug-11 16:55:00

Had the implant put in just before travelling abroad (two and half weeks ago) and how I hate the thing! I bleed constanty - enough, initially, to just need pantyliners but for a week and a half now, enough to need the Mooncup. I feel grumpy quite a lot of the time and, much as I can't have sex what with all the bleeding, I don't fancy it all! The one time we managed, it was really uncomfortable. I also hate that I can feel it in my arm, although that is obviously a minor concern.

So, as a contraceptive, it's pretty effective, but it's not what I had in mind.

I can't take oestrogen-based contaceptives, I got pregnant and then miscarried on micronor and I'm not going for the Mirena - not risking messing my hormones about like this again. Want it out and then go back to condoms - never had any problems with them.

If I could take it out myself with the paring knife in the kitchen, I think I would.

Is it likely to settle down, do you think? Also, what are my chances of getting it removed when I get back home in a week or so?

PhobWatch Sat 23-Jul-16 18:07:22

I had nothing but trouble with my implant. Since I suffer with eczema the wound took ages to even heal, it even got infected. Then the worst happen, the end of it broke through my skin and started to come out. Had to be one of the worst panic attacks I ever had. Was rushed to A and E where I was given the option of leaving it or having them take it out. Thankfully since it was basically already out it was a quick procedure. I'm only 18 and I was told it would be effective and fine. Never before have I felt so mugged off in my life. I asked if it would be affected with my eczema and they said it would be fine. Now I have to find another effective way of protection. The pill is no use cause I can't swallow tablets no matter how small they are. But I'm so thankful that my boyfriend was there to help and keep me calm. I'm never having it put in my arm again since my body rejects it completely. It may be effective for some people and it doesn't play up. But it's not right for me, I don't know if anyone else has had this, but I felt really stupid for having it done

Kickstop Tue 21-Jun-16 21:12:09

I know my response to this is quite a few years late. But I've been having the same problem. Its been about two months since my Nexplanon implant and I have not stopped bleeding. The thing is, this is my replacement. The first three years I had this my bleeding was regular. Now with a brand new one it feels like it won't stop. I'm guessing I should give the full six months for it to settle?

purplewaffle105 Tue 31-May-16 19:23:53

Tatiana I don't know why I believed it at the time but I'm sure it's wrong now! It took months for me to get it removed as well as GUM clinics won't take over-25s anymore and the waiting list for my GP was 2 months long as they only do one clinic per week for minor procedures. Now that we're TTC I just want it to happen ASAP!!

Tatiana11235 Tue 31-May-16 13:06:51

Purple, whwn I had it implanted I was told it can take a few months for things to get back to normal confused

purplewaffle105 Mon 30-May-16 21:28:15

It's driving me crazy that there's not any more info on Nexplanon and fertility. I got mine out 5 weeks ago and still no AF! I had 3 years of Implanon and then 3 years of another implant (can't remember which) and then over a year of Nexplanon. Was bleeding for longer and more regularly in the last few years but no major problems and haven't noticed any major differences since I got it out. I'm TTC and wondering how long it'll take my fertility to return to normal. I remember being told when I first got it in that my fertility would return "the day after getting it out" but now I feel more sceptical.

purplewaffle105 Mon 30-May-16 21:27:47

It's driving me crazy that there's not any more info on Nexplanon and fertility. I got mine out 5 weeks ago and still no AF! I had 3 years of Implanon and then 3 years of another implant (can't remember which) and then over a year of Nexplanon. Was bleeding for longer and more regularly in the last few years but no major problems and haven't noticed any major differences since I got it out. I'm TTC and wondering how long it'll take my fertility to return to normal. I remember being told when I first got it in that my fertility would return "the day after getting it out" but now I feel more sceptical.

Tatiana11235 Mon 30-May-16 05:19:58

Let's resurrect this thread - I think all my issues are due to Nexplanon. I would love to hear about your experiences if you have/had it implanted.

Very extremely super low libido to the point where I absolutely cannot imagine myself having sex ever again. I have a H and DD5.
Also hair loss - had to chop off my long hair that I ever so patiently grew out over a year.
Periods are just bizzare. On for a month and off for a month sad
Join me on this lovely Monday morning brew

MinnieStitch Thu 26-May-16 08:32:32

Oh man. I know everyone's different but now I'm a lil like "what did I do?!?"

Ok first ever form of BC I ever tried was a Mirena IUD. I was completely miserable the ENTIRE time. I had nothing but constant pelvic pain, The pain went into my legs, I started losing my hair (when I would wash or brush it, I'd have HANDFULLS of clumps in my hands!) I started getting more black head like zits but theyd swell up huge and my skin got so sensitive to touch, I got fog brain, confusion and extreme irritability/snappiness and the list just continues. I was WILLING to let all that slide away, except the pelvic pain and bleeding from the time I got it in march2016 til the first week of may2016! They wouldn't give me anything to help with pain, the otc meds didn't even help (i had to take my old script for percocet! And that's just to dull it) and they certainly didn't give me anything for the bleeding.

Any who, i skimmed through this thread a lil as well as many others looking for someone, ANYONE that might be gone from Mirena to Nexplanon. If your out there, what was your experience? Did you notice a change or differences between them (other than where they're placed and the means of drug admin to the body). Am I just getting myself into yet ANOTHER friggin nightmare!? They only offered Nexplanon not the Implanon (cause I believe nex replaced imp) but I can't have estrogen pills cause I have a 50/50 chance at a very aggressive cancer that LOVES the stuff! I tried to get genetic testing but insurance claims it's not necessary. So I just be precautious. Im not too worried about the complaints of low libido (as I have none anyways BEFORE BC, long story for another time). I did actually read in the pamphlet, some of the main problems with Nexplanon which don't seem like theyd be too bothersome (except losing hair!/heavy bleeding) I'm no good with taking pills on a deadline and I'm trying to help lessen my period over time or even stop it. I know from research it can cause irregularities and additional bleeding. But will it be as bad and painful as the Mirena was!?!? I know this will get an answer AFTER I have it implanted (May 26, 2016) as I didn't find this until basically last minute. But I will STILL love to read any and all advice/stories/suggestions y'all have even after the fact. It'll just make me better informed and prepared to know what to expect (besides what's in the pamphlet they gave me). I'm so worried now that I've read horror stories and I'm due for the procedure!! Help!!confused

BulaBaby Thu 21-Apr-16 19:14:02

I am getting my Nexplanon removed next month after the full 3 years.

I came across this thread while researching what to do next. I WILL NOT be getting another implant. I have been suffering from depressed moods for few years and looking back, I think it's the implant which has caused them.

Fasha45776 Thu 21-Apr-16 00:41:19

Yeah I would definitely not recommend this form of birth control to anyone. ESPECIALLY people with existing anxiety issues. I had the implant put in in October 2015, for the first few months I had HEAVY bleeding. When I went in to get the implant put in, I was on my period at the time I had just started it the day or two before, and so that period that started in early October lasted until my second visit with PP in December when it finally became too much. I was not able to work without running to the bathroom every hour to for TWO months. I was bleeding so heavy that I would often leak after one hour after having a fresh one in. It was awful, and i went back to the clinic and they prescribed me a higher dose of Tylenol that would, I assume, cause clotting after taking it for the prescribed time. It did work,and I stopped bleeding for a good two months until my period came back at all, but when it did it was back for two or three weeks, then gone again and still hasn't come back now, almost may 1st. On top of this, I have always had problems with mental health growing up as a teenager. It was hard for me to decipher weather or not I was feeling worse due to getting older, life changing, yada yada. Or if it had anything to do with the birth control as they told me when they put it in that it can cause depression symptoms. It's been seven months now since I've had it in and I'm positive that the implant is causing me heavy depression. I have never been a short tempered person, all my life it would take A LOT for me to ever yell at you. But now, I find myself yelling at my boyfriend and bitching at him over the stupidest things. The worst part is, I know that I'm doing it. When I freak out I can recognize that I'm not in the right and I need to calm down but it just feels like I can't. I'm so upset over the littlest things all the time. Not to mention, this is a very affective contraceptive because I almost never get "in the mood" naturally now. I'm usually more wanting to go to sleep. My boyfriend is so loving and supportive and I am so thankful for his patience through this. I plan to get it removed now in the next month..

echanicem89 Sun 10-Apr-16 04:07:33

I thought it was just me I have had the nexplanon since October and it has been the worst I have experience weight gain acne I'm often feel myself being depressed I'm always tired pain in leg and now have numbness in my big toe I went to my doctor two weeks ago and he said give it two more months I can't take it I want this thing out immediately

butteredmuffin Wed 06-Apr-16 23:44:49

Well, if you keep it in for the full three years I expect it's very cheap. If you get it out after a few weeks it's pretty pricey! smile

VerBot Tue 05-Apr-16 10:00:50

The cost is £83.43, it can't be much more expensive than other methods.

butteredmuffin Sat 02-Apr-16 19:29:49

I will shortly be having Nexplanon out after the full three years. Before that I had two other implants (the first one was Implanon) and have kept them all in for the full period of time.

For me they have always worked really well and I've never had any obvious side effects. I sometimes wonder whether hormonal contraceptives are to blame for my food cravings and not having a very high libido, but I've no proof that these things are related to having the implant. However, I am now planning to come off hormonal contraceptives altogether and just use condoms, and it will be really interesting to see whether I feel any different, after using them for such a long time.

For contraceptive purposes, obviously it has worked really well for me. Just because some people have had a bad experience, it doesn't mean everyone will. For me, the peace of mind in knowing that I would almost certainly not get pregnant (while I was at university and in the earlier stages of my career) made it the right choice for me. Now I am a bit older and an unplanned pregnancy wouldn't be the end of the world.

I would recommend to anyone to give it a try, because if it works for you, it really is the easiest and most effective method of contraception around. But if you try it and you don't get on with it, have it taken out. Doctors like you to stick with it for a while because it is expensive, and it's true that you might take a couple of months to get used to it before everything settles down. But if it really makes you feel horrible, it's not right for you.

ashleypebbles Fri 01-Apr-16 18:17:42

So I've had the implant since June of last year. I've tried everything from pills, ring, depo, and just couldn't stick to one. Me and my then bf really liked it. As a contraceptive i would say its amazing. We never used condoms and i never came out pregnant. Which of course was wonderful. I loved that I didn't have to worry or have to remember to take something daily because I am horrible with that. So those are the positives.

Now for the negatives. In the beginning i had spotting for almost everyday, then when my period came down it was heavier. Not more then usual tho. After 3 months I didn't have spotting and my period got a little lighter. I did get cramps once in a while. My breasts were sore. What I HATED most was the weight gain. Before I got on the implant I weighted 138lbs. I was on it for 10 months. I just took it out yesterday. And I'm so happy I did. Now that its been 10 months I weigh 166llbs. I cant believe it and I need to shed these pounds FAST! i didn't eat more or drink more so when I realized that my jeans weren't fitting i knew i had to take this out. So finally I made my appointment last week at planned parenthood and had it removed yesterday, and i could be happier. i don't have any symptoms since removing it. i don't think i will. as for birth control i wont be using anything for a while.

So this is how my situation was. And Im glad I got rid of it.

Fiiddlestix Thu 18-Feb-16 13:22:59

I've had the implant for 10 years now, the last 5-6 years have been Nexplanon.
The Implanon was perfect, yes I spotted for the first few months but then nothing for years. Since having the Nexplanon I have had light periods every few months which have not been an issue until recently (one year before removal) they have been every two weeks, I have an iron deficiency so I'm sure this wasn't helping.
Since having the Nexplanon placed I have also gone from a size 8 to as size 12, I have become withdrawn and depressed, I rarely laugh at things that used to have me in hysterics, I feel fuzzy headed and can easily sleep for 12 hours a day and still struggle to get up in the mornings (my iron is currently at a normal level so I do not believe these are related). I have no libido and have had no real relationship for years...infact the thought of being with someone repulses me right now.
I had a good 10 years of being mostly period free but since the Nexplanon I have been a completely different person going from a social butterfly to a lone wolf.
Today I had my implant removed for good, the doctor was lovely and did not object or try to change my mind in anyway. Here's to a brighter, happier future (with periods unfortunately but it'll be worth it). I wish everyone else all the best and hope you all get the successful outcome you deserve.

Worriedbf92 Wed 30-Dec-15 11:21:29

Hi there my girlfriend has had this implant for just over a year now and things have never really been too good with it. She has had a low sex drive pretty much the entire time she has had it and spots on her face/chest. Nothing major but enough for her to notice. Secondly I believe it has made her become stressed more easily and even mildly depressed. She recently stepped up to a managers role in her part time job which tied in with her starting placement for university so she was essentially working 9til10 monday to Friday. Since about 3/4s of the way through placement I noticed she has started to go out drinking more and more and this has taken priority over our relationship. Having read through posts on here I have noticed over time, especially in younger people, this implant can cause depression like symptoms and I know that often makes people behave wrecklessly. We have only had sex once in around 3 or 4 weeks and I barely see her at all. We talked on Sunday and she said that although she sees our future together and wants us to marry and have kids that she doesn't feel like a relationship is what she needs at the present moment because she keeps hurting me/letting me down. Having read up on this implant and the side affects related I believe this could have a big part to play. Am I wrong to think this and simply burying my head in the sand?

ancientascension Wed 30-Dec-15 07:50:39

On August 15, 2015, I began a new relationship with the man of my dreams. I was excited and relieved that I had finally found "the one." I had Nexplanon inserted on August 21st. About 2 weeks after having Nexplanon inserted, I moved to the state my boyfriend lived in and we had fully intended on marrying, having children, and spending the rest of our lives together. However, we wanted to wait a few years before having more children, as we each already had one, so that's why I chose Nexplanon. Around the time I moved in with my boyfriend, my face erupted with large, painful cystic acne along with clusters of gross pustules. I had had severe acne as a teenager, but once I had gotten older and my hormones leveled out my acne had cleared up completely. My new life with the man of my dreams was perfect for maybe another month, then I began having CRAZY mood swings. It started with depression and feeling worthless and quickly escalated into me snapping at my boyfriend and our kids for the smallest things, or nothing at all. I was so irritable and everything made me so angry to the point of what seemed like insanity. I basically began to treat my boyfriend and our children like shit, causing my sensitive, loving boyfriend to get depressed and begin ignoring me and not wanting to be around me. We began fighting a lot and he broke up with me several times because of it. I got so anxious that I would have a panic attack everytime I went grocery shopping or even just driving in heavy traffic. I couldn't get any sleep because I was so restless and pissed off all the time. Most nights were spent tossing and turning with barely any sleep. On Christmas day 2015 I woke up in an awful mood, as usual due to my lack of proper rest. My boyfriend said "Good morning, baby, Merry Christmas." To which I replied with a mean comment or something, which escalated into yet another fight. He broke up with me the next day and I was devastated. Two days after that I packed everything of mine that would fit into my tiny car and my child and I moved back to the state I had originally moved away from. The boyfriend is now my ex boyfriend, and he tells me that the damage has already been done. He got onto a dating website the day we broke up, so quite obviously he got over me quickly and dropped me like a bad habit. I'm fairly certain he got over me so quickly because of how I treated him. So now here I am with my child, living in a homeless shelter. No money, no job, severe depression and grieving so badly over the loss of my one true love that I would much rather be dead than suffer with this broken heart. I can't sleep, eat, socialize, or think about anything other than the love I've lost and everything is still making me very angry as I'm highly irritable. Nexplanon cost me not only my sanity but also the love of my life. My face is also so broken out with disgusting acne that I don't even want to look into a mirror. I'm a very nice person and am not the type of person to treat others badly, even if they do something bad to me first. I'm also not the type to ever get super angry, as I'm a pretty calm, zen type of lady. But not anymore. Nexplanon has completely changed who I am and I absolutely hate it. I feel like I don't even know who I am anymore and I don't recognize myself. I haven't gained any weight, which is cool. My periods have completely stopped, which is also cool because I used to have extremely painful periods. But, I haven't gained anything positive whatsoever from the Nexplanon implant. I'm getting this thing removed on January 4th, but doing that isn't going to bring back the love of my life and his son who I absolutely adored and who my son was best friends with. Nexplanon is a bad choice. If you've ever had issues with depression, anxiety, or acne, DO NOT get Nexplanon! It might just cost you the people closest to you. My recommendation would to thoroughly research natural birth control methods as well as practice the natural family planning method. Nexplanon just isn't worth it.

Love and Blessings,
ancientascension

Charliej86 Sun 27-Dec-15 17:44:19

Pleased I've found this. I've had my second implant put in at end of October after having baby in July. First one was great no side affects and a small 1-4day period every 6-8weeks. But this one I have bled in some way since early November. It's usually light spotting but brown colour, every now and then I'll get a day or 2 of bleeding. Think my OH thinks I'm making it up half the time but it's really getting to me. I'm over due my smear, was due whilst I was pregnant, so I've convinced myself there's something wrong.

MadauntofA Fri 18-Dec-15 09:17:26

I have had 2 lots of the implanon and am now on nexplanon ( had in for about 18mths) both have been pretty similar - bit of weight gain ( now lost) bit moody but main problem has been v heavy periods lasting 2wks every 40days. Also real lack of libido. I'm considering asking DH to get a vasectomy as we are definitely done with having children and I have had to do the contraceptive thing for the whole of our relationship. I'm a bit fed up of the hormonal effect on me but I know that it will be a v difficult conversation as the thought of a knife near his bits would send him running for the hills! I would love not to worry about contraception. I would consider being done myself but I know it is much more straightforward to do the vasectomy. I might try and catch him when he is in the Christmas good mood!

BellaA90 Fri 18-Dec-15 08:34:15

Hi fghijklanie,

I just had to reply when you asked about getting a seconf Nexplanon! I had my first put in aged 19/20 and it was amazing, no periods, happy as can be. Got a second one put in in 2013, and it was fine up until 6 months ago. Since then I've had 3 months of constant bleeding, the most horrendous mood swings and bad skin. My boyfriend and I moved in together around the same time and its been so hard on him - he's been so patient and understanding, but I think he's at the end of his tether having to tiptoe round a worrying, crying and angry girlfriend! We live in Germany but I'm coming back to the UK this week for Christmas and want to try and take it out. Want my body back and be me again!! So first Nexplanon was ace, second time round I wouldn't recommend it - when I got my second put in I did some research online and saw other people saying their second one had caused some bad side effects but went ahead anyway!

fghijklanie Tue 17-Nov-15 01:14:19

After reading these posts I feel I should write about my Nexplanon experience. I have had Nexplanon for three full years, it comes out next month and I am strongly considering getting it put in for a second time because I loved it so much. I got it when I was 19 the first time. I have not had a negative experience, there was no weight gain, no mood swings and my periods settled after the first few months, I then had one every three months. Has anyone had actual Nexplanon for a second time? I am wondering about the risks associated with getting it again.

Gamoore14 Thu 22-Oct-15 15:31:27

Hi , I'm 23 years of age & got the implant in over a month ago , I've only had 3 days which I haven't bleed . Is this normal ? I wouldn't say it's like a period everyday but some days it's light pink blood & then dark brown all very light .

JontyDoggle37 Wed 08-Jul-15 03:30:25

Go to your local family planning clinic and get it removed there, I've found they are much more amenable than GPs about taking them out.

Steph0753 Wed 08-Jul-15 02:59:01

hi there i have only had the nexplanon for 3 months and i want to remove it.i decided its not for me the sideffects are horrible. i tend to get really bad headaches ,moodswings and not to mention the acne and the weight gain. i have gained about 30 pounds...i recently went to see the doctor to see if i could remove it and let her know what was giong on.As soon as i mentioned that i wanted it removed she got startled and started talking to me in a very disrespctful way.she told me that all ppl think that the sideaffects are due to the nexplanon and that how do i know that wasnt giong to occur to me anyway to think of my future,.and that im hilluscinating we exchanged some word due to her reaction.i frankly think her way of approaching me was a complete disrespect .she told me to wait 4 months more and i told her i was done she started arguing and at the end i told her i had already set an appointment then she said she will take it out by then.but is there anything i cant do if she doesnt want to take it out.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now