Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Nexplanon implant thing - how I regret that!

(205 Posts)
Alwaysworthchecking Thu 18-Aug-11 16:55:00

Had the implant put in just before travelling abroad (two and half weeks ago) and how I hate the thing! I bleed constanty - enough, initially, to just need pantyliners but for a week and a half now, enough to need the Mooncup. I feel grumpy quite a lot of the time and, much as I can't have sex what with all the bleeding, I don't fancy it all! The one time we managed, it was really uncomfortable. I also hate that I can feel it in my arm, although that is obviously a minor concern.

So, as a contraceptive, it's pretty effective, but it's not what I had in mind.

I can't take oestrogen-based contaceptives, I got pregnant and then miscarried on micronor and I'm not going for the Mirena - not risking messing my hormones about like this again. Want it out and then go back to condoms - never had any problems with them.

If I could take it out myself with the paring knife in the kitchen, I think I would.

Is it likely to settle down, do you think? Also, what are my chances of getting it removed when I get back home in a week or so?

JontyDoggle37 Wed 08-Jul-15 03:30:25

Go to your local family planning clinic and get it removed there, I've found they are much more amenable than GPs about taking them out.

Steph0753 Wed 08-Jul-15 02:59:01

hi there i have only had the nexplanon for 3 months and i want to remove it.i decided its not for me the sideffects are horrible. i tend to get really bad headaches ,moodswings and not to mention the acne and the weight gain. i have gained about 30 pounds...i recently went to see the doctor to see if i could remove it and let her know what was giong on.As soon as i mentioned that i wanted it removed she got startled and started talking to me in a very disrespctful way.she told me that all ppl think that the sideaffects are due to the nexplanon and that how do i know that wasnt giong to occur to me anyway to think of my future,.and that im hilluscinating we exchanged some word due to her reaction.i frankly think her way of approaching me was a complete disrespect .she told me to wait 4 months more and i told her i was done she started arguing and at the end i told her i had already set an appointment then she said she will take it out by then.but is there anything i cant do if she doesnt want to take it out.

Wh0dathunkit Wed 01-Jul-15 21:25:22

Wow. I'm so glad I went for a potter around the health threads before going to see my Dr - I'm on my second implant, the first one was about 3 years and 10 months ago. This one was 10 months ago, and I was beginning to suspect it might be the culprit for my anxiety to have been ramping up in quite impressive style recently. It seems to come in waves, so every couple of weeks, I'm on a downer, which seems to end up in me having panic attacks. In the first couple of cases, the reasons for losing the plot seemed relatively valid, but the last two were a bit OTT, if I were thinking from a rational standpoint.
My first implant worked like a dream, although, towards the end of the 3 years, I was suffering a loss of libido, which I attributed to weight gain and cattus interruptus (cats are a bit on the feisty side!)...it's only been since the second one that the MH side of things has gone badly. My suspicion is that the balance of hormones doesn't work too well for me, and a build up over a long period of time makes things this way.
Previous experiences with hormonal contraception have been similar, however, they have been far more inconvenient.
I'm really not sure where to go in terms of contraception at this point (assuming the GP agrees to change my contraception, rather than prescribe anti-anxiety meds, which I don't want) - I don't want the hormone related faffery where I have to check to see where I am in my cycle before I decide if my feelings are valid. I certainly don't want to go back to condoms (although DP has said he will if needs be), and I certainly don't want children. We are both too long in the tooth for kids!
I think the most sensible option would be for DP to get the snip, but that still leaves me at mercy of my hormones. Oh to be a man, as one of my menopausal friends said only today!

neddy1212 Sun 28-Jun-15 20:52:46

I'm a GP and see patients with these kind of symptoms all the time. I wouldn't refuse to remove an implant, but would question whether it was the right thing to do at 3 weeks.

Unfortunately Implanon has been discontinued (since 2010 or 11 I believe). Nexplanon has the same drug and strength as the implanon, so it's the best we can do. I always stress to patients wanting the implant that it's only a third of ladies who's periods stop, then about a third have lighter periods which may or may not be regular and then a third have long term protracted heavy bleeding - this group some settle with time, some don't and even when you've been fine with it before there's no guarantee you'll be fine with it again.

The benefit of mirena over nexplanon is it's more locally acting, so you get less hormone affecting your whole body ie less of the baby brain, weight gain, spots etc, but for some people hormonal contraception isn't safe or tolerable.

Everyone is different and the nexplanon affects them all differently and it is a superb form of contraception for 2 in 3 people.

kickingmyself89 Fri 29-May-15 03:42:20

i got the nexplon back in Feb i had it before but this time it has messed with my body so bad just waiting till tricare says i can take it out it has me bleeding all the time my hormones r a wreck had to take pregnancy test because of some signs

meljenks Tue 26-May-15 19:29:50

Even though this is a British thread and old. I'm sharing my nexplanon horror story.
I had implanon for 3 years. Other than minor mood swings, it was awesome. Fast forward to getting it replaced.
My dr said it's identical. Ha. Ha. Ha. LIES.
I'm a small woman, I was 125 pounds at 9 month's pregnant with my second child. Since nexplanon, I weigh nearly 120 pounds. I have horrible break outs on my face, neck, back and chest. Speaking of chest, mine feel almost as tender as when they were engorged after nursing and they leak.
The longer I have it in, the worse it gets. At 18 Month's in, I have CONSTANT pain, like cramps. I don't have periods, just horrible ovarian cysts every 5-6 weeks. I'm nauseated at least every other day. Add in at least one crippling headache a week! Even as a teenager going through puberty, I've NEVER been this moody or emotional. This has been the worst experience of my life and when my dr takes this think out, I want to take it home and burn it in the fire pit.

It was a HUGE relief to see that other women suffered like this thinking it was going to be like implanon all over again

LDNnonMum Tue 19-May-15 22:59:20

I feel so much better afterreading the previous posts, as I have slowly felt like I've been going mad over the past year. I had Implanon taken out in 2014 (the first two years were fantastic, but slowly I developed a deep depression each month in the days leading UK to my period. When I started getting suicidal, I got very scared and went to get it out). My doctor suggested I try the 'same thing' again, thinking the first couple years might result in a positive experience again, at which point we could just replace it again. Instead, they gave me Nexplanon, which is where it all went very very wrong.

I immediately gained at least a stone and while I was no longer quite as depressed before my periods, I was still extremely moody all the time and really irritable, sad and weepy for the week before my period. The cramps and breast pain were uncomfortable but not unbearable, and my period itself was fairly light and uneventful, save for my gratitude that the worst was over (until the next month). I never experienced abnormal bleeding or spotting between periods as it sounds like many people have, but the emotional experience has been absolute hell.

I had the stupid little stick removed today and cannot stop smiling. I'm going to give myself a few weeks free of contraception and then go back on a hormone free device, like the copper coil. I'm glad this works for a select few but am really grateful to know I'm not the only one whose body had a really difficult time with this implant.

Fran3609 Sat 02-May-15 18:43:55

Nexplanon must be the worst decision I have ever made. I've had mine fitted for 15 months now and still having to put up with continuous bleeding, mood swings and now to top it all off the sex drive has gone as well. As if it hasn't been bad enough that my partner and I couldn't have sex due to bleeding, when we can I can't get in the mood! UK's number 1 contraceptive cuz it stops people having sex!

Puffinoshea Sat 28-Mar-15 08:58:32

I realise this is a fairly old thread now but I feel compelled to post and describe my experience, especially to the men who've posted. I was on Nexplanon for about 11 months. Initially it was great, no side effects, everything fine. Or so I thought. I've just had it removed after having been dumped by my boyfriend and feeling like he was probably the last man on earth so whats the point??! But a week after having it removed, I feel absolutely amazing. I feel like myself. I completely understand now why I was completely an ugly and horrible person to be around. I lost all my confidence, I didn't want to do anything, I didn't want to be with anyone. I felt so lonely. My boyfriend now has this awful impression of he, and that's not me at all. And I honestly didn't see it happening. Guys, don't give up on your partners. Show her this post and ask her to get it removed and see what difference it makes before splitting up. I wish I could turn back the clock but it's too late for me. Good luck.

wizzerbean82 Tue 10-Mar-15 15:18:57

Nicolajayne. I had that exact problem too! They just felt really big and heavy. I really thought I had breast cancer because of all the lumps! The nurse I saw told me that the implant CAN cause lumps and tenderness. My biggest issue was the depression. I can't wait til I get it out in two days! grin

wizzerbean82 Tue 10-Mar-15 15:02:44

I got this implant because they thought it might help with my other issues. Did it hell! I got it five months ago and in the last couple of weeks I have had really tender breasts, such sore chest pain that I was convinced it was cancer and the worst depression imaginable! I can't sleep at night because I keep thinking the doctors are wrong and I do have cancer, I can't eat, I don't want to go out. I went to my doctor who agreed to take it out without question. I seem to be the only one that hasn't had any bleeding. I wouldn't recommend this to anybody. The way I feel at the moment is horrible, I cry all the time but at least my partner is supporting me and not leaving me!! Has anyone else felt like this? Just so I can put my mind at ease.

Treshellclemons12 Mon 09-Mar-15 03:24:04

Well I have been on Nexplanon since June 18th of 2014 and I hate it!!.at first I thought it was working until July when I been bleeding Non stop and haven't stopped since then. Its been 8 almost 9 months of this stressful thing I'm very close to just cutting it out at home but its very dangerous what should I do?

AHopkins Tue 17-Feb-15 14:25:23

I'm on my second Nexplanon implant and the first one I had no problems with whatsoever, but six months in to having the second one I have had nothing but problems, constant period, terrible mood swings,sore breasts, bloatedness, weight gain and Ive been to the doctor and they are sending me for a mamogram, blood tests and scans of my abdomen thinking it may be cancer but I think I know deep down it is the implant, but I'm happy to get it checked out for peace of mind and when they find nothing, I'm going to insist getting it removed.

mummyoffiveboys Mon 16-Feb-15 23:48:22

Ive been on nexoplon since october it is now feburary for the first 3 weeks i never bled i thought it was great then now i bleed between periods have brown discharge and discomft like period pain everyday the doctor put me on a low dose of the pill too to try stop the bleeding but it hasnt worked. I cant even have sex i dont have yhe energy to do so and it doesnt interest me yet however if i do i bleed straight after its not painfull at all just really embrassing
I feel like im loosing the plot 8ve been put on fluoxtine to help my depression as i constantly worry i have a problem i have a problem trying to beleive all wot i am going through and experiencing is linked to the implant

Jenny4499 Sun 15-Feb-15 05:06:29

Also the acne has become horrible, Her back,chest and face are coverd and we have tried everything you can buy from a store.I just dont know what to do to help her.

Jenny4499 Sun 15-Feb-15 04:55:25

My daughter got it a month ago and her mood swings are horrible.I dont know what to do. I thought about having it removed but she wont take anything else.What should I do?

lk13 Tue 10-Feb-15 18:26:40

This is implant number 4. I've had two Implanon and now 2 nexplanon. I've never ever once had bruising like any of the previous pictures even after a previous implant wouldn't come out they were able to easily remove and insert a new one in hospital with very little bruising.

I'm only a few hours after getting implant no.4 and there's only slight tenderness but that's probably because the bandage is still on.

Altho I get headaches occasionally and a period probably once a year that lasts about four weeks the side effects have been almost non existent. No crying. No hormonal changes. No loss of libido. Everything is the same as it always was.

I wanted to share Because a lot of the side effects that are mentioned here could happen for a number of reasons, age, diet etc and having the implant and bruising that badly is very very abnormal. the staff in the fpa are well trained and can usually whip it Out with very minimal pain or damage. The scarring after surgery was about 1cm in lenth and 2 mm in diameter. Not really worth noting.

I needed to comment because the nexplanon does work for a lot of women including myself and certainly isn't always the demonic form of contraception . One of my friends is also very very happy with hers too. smile

sarahwhitehouse Wed 04-Feb-15 23:37:05

Hi all just to join this huge rant is me a once bubbly person now an anxious depressed moody mum of three with brave hubby for sticking it out lol it started after my third child now 3 and doc said nexplannon good for me so Hey I figured yea lets try it I had a good first year really like bery little periods and then none I thought great it works HOW WRONG WAS I? Then on and off for a whole year ups and downs mood wise thought perhaps just me and it will pass but no it continued and got worse the last year has been crazys so far as to say I would go mad and shout and rant over silly things that wouldnt bother me like a complete over reaction and then cry through frustration and feeling alone like no one listening and then seconds later like a click of fingers feeling happier than ever like winning the lottery and nought could be better and then nothing no feelings at all of any kind for days but finding myself thinking about all small things we all supress in our minds that arent all that bad and we choose to ignore creeping to the surface and nagging me to makeme feel isolated and alone once more then on top of that the feelings of preggnacy on and off for the last of nexplannon and thank god iv realised now its the cause of all my issuses of feeling fat due to weight gain and up n down all the time n then lost feelings and its due to be changed in 2 weeks which im affraid to say no way is that happening im having a break from putting false things in my body and getting bk to being me again untill I decide after lots of RESEARCH what method to go with thanks hope it helps somome and rant over

carlshatesnexplanon Mon 26-Jan-15 22:15:38

I, like others on this thread, had the implanon, my first implant, for three years and had absolutely no problems with it whatsoever. The odd mood swing and a little bit of weight gain here and there (mainly my boobs) but nothing major. It was actually wonderful for my usually terrible and painful periods. I, also like others, recommended it to friends. 20 months ago, my implanon needed changing and I was given the nexplanon. I was totally willing to try it because they told me it was exactly the same but little did I know the hell it would put me through.

It was only last week that I realised it was the cause of my severe anxiety and depression when I broke down, as I felt at my absoulte lowest, to my boyfriend and he asked me to think of when the exact time was it all started ( he has always known of my suffering but it has never been as bad as it has recently). It was then I figured out that it was just after insertion of my new implant. After googling and looking at other peoples stories of anxiety and depression while on the implant as well as speaking to people around me and asking if they have noticed changes since me getting the nexplanon, I am convinced it is this that is causing me so much pain.

I won't go into huge detail because I could be here all night but for nearly two years, my depression and anxiety has got progressively worse until it became unmanageable last week and I totally cracked. i literally cried for three days straight and for no real reason. I feel so conned. My doctor never warned me of these side effects and from what I have read it appears to be more common than most would think, certainly common enough to warrant a warning when getting the implant fitted. It literally makes me so mad and what makes me madder is I can't get the damn thing out for three weeks because of the long waiting list! I feel like I am in total turmoil. I just want this to stop and from what I have read it seems people still experience these side effects for months after! I regret ever getting this, I regret recommending it and I feel like I need to share my story to warn people of the effects this devil stick can have on someones mental well being.

aprill342 Sat 17-Jan-15 10:45:04

Iv got it and it's coming out next month and on pill and lately I'm always feeling bloated and feel fat I don't want eat not nice plus feels like movements but no it can't be, dont no what it's is as never had this on the implant before dint no what to do it comes out in couple of weeks as times up on it as iv got a 3 year old just hate feeling fat atm lol

abcart123 Thu 15-Jan-15 05:11:21

While my experience is a little different I thought I would at least comment. I was previously on the Depo shots when my doctor told me that they do not recommend staying on the shots for as long as I was at the time. When I made an appointment with the doctor and saw her, the only form of birth control she would really give me was the Nexplanon because it is so much like the shots. In fact, she said it's the number one recommended form of birth control for people looking to switch after being on Depo.

Being that my periods had already stopped on the shots, I have yet to experience any form of bleeding whatsoever now that I have the Nexplanon implant. I never really had acne before I was put on the Depo shots. Maybe one bump on my chin every two months. However, I had terrible acne once I was put on the shots. It was so bad. My whole entire chin would constantly have pimples on it. Plus, the other random bumps that would spontaneously pop up over all over my face. I even got acne on my chest and back. It had got so bad that not the acne face wash you can buy the store would not help anymore. Now that I'm on Nexplanon I have notice a huge difference. I have maybe one or two pimples on my chin, and even that seems to be getting better as time goes on.

Another difference I have noticed while having Nexplanon is weight gain. I gained 45 pounds on the shots. It increases your appetite. However, I have noticed a HUGE difference in my appetite as early as the second day after having the Nexplanon inserted. My weight has started to drop. Hopefully I'll go back down to my normal weight but even if I just lose half of what I have gained I would be happy. I do sometimes notice a light "pinching" feeling where the implant is in my arm. Sometime I feel it when I move my arm a certain way but from what I have read so far on the internet that is pretty normal as long as it is not red or swollen.

As you can probably tell, I LOVE Nexplanon. It is a far better experience for me than the Depo shots were, though everyone is different. I thought I would post my experience with Nexplanon to show that there are some people out there who have not had any negative side effects and love it.

Even though I personally love it, I would feel bad if I didn't ask anyone who is interested to make sure they look up how the implant is inserted. I went into the doctors knowing nothing because I thought I would be put on something different. My doctor lied to me and told me that there would be no pain even after insertion (it was so sore for a week afterwards & I felt it being inserted even after the numbing shots because she did not wait long enough for shots to go into effect), didn't mention that it could possibly scar until after I had it already put in, and never mentioned anything about bruising (the bruising for me was a very dark purple, worse than any bruise I had ever had before, and I even had bruising outside of the compression bandage less than 12 hours after insertion!). For me, it was pretty gruesome and honestly I couldn’t believe that I had actually damaged my body so bad for something as simple as birth control. If I had known ahead of time what I know now about the insertion, I'm not sure I would have even had it put in.

However, now that I do have it I absolutely love it! No other form of birth control has worked as well as Nexplanon. I hope I don't get attacked here, I just wanted to say that everyone's bodies are different and what may be bad for someone else doesn't mean that it's going to be bad for you.

nicolajayne42 Thu 25-Dec-14 18:58:32

I had the Implanon implant put in 6 yrs so have had it changed twice in that time and my periods just stopped which didn't bother me-they did start again earlier this year and I had a period every 2 months but my breasts got bigger and very lumpy(i've had 2 big lumps removed from my right breast and I've since found 2 in my left one but have been told they're fibroadenomas like the others)-Back in October of this year I had it changed to Nexplanon and my breasts have got even bigger from an 'E' to a 'HH' and they're so painful-I only have to knock them and the pain is awful,I get stabbing pains in them and they just feel bruised-I know it sounds awful but it's as if I've got melons in my bra-they're just so heavy yet I haven't put weight on anywhere else-I feel so miserable and self conscious about them!-My arm is also aching just below where the implant is too-I'm seriously considering having it removed-does anyone else have this problem with their breasts as I've only seen one or two on here that have?-I mentioned the lumps and pain to my nurse and said 'is it the implant causing it?' and she said 'no'

MadManx74 Tue 09-Dec-14 21:47:53

So, I went to the FPA yesterday expecting to be turned away to wait it out but I explained that this was so bad I was off work sick as I am literally crying 20 times a day and borderline hysterical and she said "can you come in to get it out on Friday" Guess what I did when she said that....I cried. I am so grateful the fabulous FPA nurse listened fully to my concerns. At first she said we recommend 3-6 months to allow it to settle. I told her I honestly believe my marriage could be over by then, I've said some terrible and completely out of character things and it was like I was powerless to stop myself. She has given me information on the coil and as I am not willing to ever put any more hormones in my body I am considering this.
So as I know someone who loves the implant and has no adverse affects I can't say steer clear as I know it can work. However from personal experience this has been the most hellishly unbalanced 2 months of my life and it's single-handedly enabled me to start dismantling 14 very happily married years.

nurseyt Tue 09-Dec-14 13:28:10

I got nexplanon fitted a few months into a relationship as I had previously used oral contraceptives but they caused me to constantly spot and my mood plummeted on them. After stopping the pill (cerazette) my mood instantly improved and my periods went back to normal, like they were 28 days like clockwork, never painful etc.
For a change and for the sake of convenience, I decided nexplanon would be the best option. I had it inserted for 6 months before getting it out and that day could not come quick enough. I had a constant period, I literally did not have a day where I wasn't menstruating. I also developed frightening panic attacks which I didn't link to the implant until I read this thread!
I am a very laid back and calm person so the panic attacks and low mood really came as a shock. I have found my concentration and memory to be awful, in turn making me think i'm going crazy and making the panics worse. I also cried more and had mood swings which are definitely not normal for me either, i'm a very happy and positive person but the implant definitely negatively impacted my mood.
I would never recommend nexplanon for anyone, it has made the last 6 months of my life absolutely awful.

MadManx74 Sat 06-Dec-14 22:15:45

I'm 40 and have had nexplanon fitted for 2 months. In my case no major issues with bleeding (although it's unpredictable) or libido but I've just made the link between starting to constantly criticise, pick at and cry hysterically in front of my husband and the time the implant was fitted. Have also had a crying meltdown at work and in front of strangers. I'm a pretty measured mellow patient woman with a super long fuse but for two months I've been anxious, depressed, sensitive to the extreme and have cried more in 2 months than probably the whole of the last decade. My husband is already at his wits end with not knowing how I'll react to anything.
Can anyone advise if the effect on your mood settles like they claim your periods do?
I'm already worried this could end my marriage.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now