Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Nexplanon implant thing - how I regret that!

(134 Posts)
Alwaysworthchecking Thu 18-Aug-11 16:55:00

Had the implant put in just before travelling abroad (two and half weeks ago) and how I hate the thing! I bleed constanty - enough, initially, to just need pantyliners but for a week and a half now, enough to need the Mooncup. I feel grumpy quite a lot of the time and, much as I can't have sex what with all the bleeding, I don't fancy it all! The one time we managed, it was really uncomfortable. I also hate that I can feel it in my arm, although that is obviously a minor concern.

So, as a contraceptive, it's pretty effective, but it's not what I had in mind.

I can't take oestrogen-based contaceptives, I got pregnant and then miscarried on micronor and I'm not going for the Mirena - not risking messing my hormones about like this again. Want it out and then go back to condoms - never had any problems with them.

If I could take it out myself with the paring knife in the kitchen, I think I would.

Is it likely to settle down, do you think? Also, what are my chances of getting it removed when I get back home in a week or so?

trixie1983 Fri 26-Jul-13 23:03:14

I'VE BEEN ON NEXPLANON FOR OVER TWO YEARS, I'M REGRETING IT AS I'M GETTING BRUISING AND ITCHINESS WHERE THE IMPLANT IS I'M NOT SURE IF THIS IS BAD OR JUST NORMAL BUT NOT SURE IF THEY WILL REMOVE IT EVEN DEBATED ON TRYING TO TAKE THE THING OUT MYSELF.

MrsGSR Fri 26-Jul-13 23:21:16

trixe are you in the UK? Why wouldn't they take it out? Go to your GP and they will arrange for it to be removed.

smudge3985 Sun 28-Jul-13 19:56:10

i initially had the implanon since 2006 and have just recently got the nexplanon (dec 12)
Personally to compare the two, they are pretty similar. For me the first year i got absolutely no bleeding (on the implanon) however the nexplanon i have had irregular bleeding (for around 4 days every 3 months) which is what i got for the other 2 years of the implanon.
As for the weight gain.. well when i first got the implant I was a size 8 (at the age of 17.. I am now 25 and a size 12/14.. It is very hard to loose weight but as to gaining weight .. i'm not sure.. slowing down my metabolism i'll admit to. Due to my job (Military) i have a very active lifestyle i just cant loose anything.

Not sure what to think.
I seem to be one of the only people (out of the posts i have seen) that has had this in for more than a few years.
I believe i have given it a proper chance and well my verdict would be it doesn't MAKE you gain weight.. It just slows down your metabolism.

hollad123 Mon 29-Jul-13 18:21:03

has anyone experienced hair loss with nexplanion? and if yes how severe was it? and did it stop after removing the nexplanion? I have had hair loss with it I had it in 5 months. hair suddenly started falling out one day and I took it out two weeks after that. it has been two weeks since I have had it removed and I am wondering if it will stop or not.

smudge3985 Thu 01-Aug-13 10:52:22

How much hair loss is it? Initally For me .. I didn't get too much.. As in.. I'd go in the shower and i'd get a little more than normal coming out or when i was brushing it. Lasted a few weeks but i'm not sure if it had anything to do with Implanon/nexplanon

lmarie25 Fri 02-Aug-13 20:23:26

I have had my Nexplanon implant for over a year, have experienced weight gain, mood swings, headaches as well At first I hated the thing but now its OK... except for the fact that i just felt it break in my arm. I tried to call my doctor, but they cant give me a straight answer if it is still effective, or should be removed, anyone experience this? thanks

Becca1986 Fri 02-Aug-13 20:32:49

I've just joined because I feel the need to have a say n I've no idea what to do!!
I have tried everything apart from the coil for contraception (I don't have a child) and nothing seems to be working!! I started with microgynon and it caused spots, I tried Yasmin n was on it for 5 years then had to stop because I ended up with severe migraines every day!! I then tried the mini pill cos I could no longer have anything with oestrogen in n I ended up having a period all the time!! I then moved onto depo injection for 6 months which was brill for no periods but made me put a stone on so had to come off that!! I had the implant put in in June this year as a last resort n so far I've gone nearly a month and a half with no period but I started spotting last week and it hasn't stopped since!! I don't know whether to keep it in longer n see how I go cos it's gettin like the mini pill n I was always bleeding with that!! May have implant taken out if this bleeding carries on!!

Loulou888 Tue 06-Aug-13 17:33:44

I'm having it removed on Thursday! Yay! I haven't suffered much withdrawal bleeding but have put on over a stone I have tried to shift the extra weight with slimming world, weightwatchers and exercise where the odd pound has come off but then I put it straight back on. Also find that I break out in spots rather embarrassing now I'm in my 30s. I'm also quite tired a lot. Hope to return to some normality smile

melaneerose Tue 06-Aug-13 19:26:12

well ive had the nexplon since march I believe and ive had no problems with it, well I had itching In the area a month ago but it went away. and ive had no bleeding maybe a spotting here and there. but yesterday I just noticed I have spots on my arm now just near the implant and after reading this talked to my boyfriend and he says I have gotten depressed randomly. but has any one else had spots on their arm?

Hannijt Mon 19-Aug-13 20:15:10

Wow! As like what everyone else is saying, I can't believe how many other people are also feeling the same as me and I can't believe it's taken me 2years to realise this!

I had the nexplanon fitted in July 2011 after having my son in the January and until the last week I thought it was the best thing since free babysitters!

Thought it was an easy ordeal to be fitted with, wasn't too sore and to be completely honest didn't think I had any side effects really. I was having periods every 4-6months, extremely light too, not even really worth the wear of a light tampon!! Fantastic!! But they, like others I've read last around 2wks, but I couldn't complain too much. Unlike my other half - partner of nearly 7years!! grin every few months we'd drift apart and I could see it coming all the time, we'd become abit more distant and then the arguing would start, he's feeling like I don't love/fancy him anymore, I tell him it's really nothing he's done but I couldn't answer him myself when he asked what's wrong but I just really could not be bothered to even think about having sex, let alone making what felt to be such an effort to have sex!! We have never been like that, always had a fantastic active sex life, even up to really late in my pregnancy. Now i could probably count on my 2 hands how many times we've had sex this year!! sad I honestly thought it was just down to the daily struggle of life in general, work, and having a young child. Now, for sure I think it's this damn implant!! And when I think about it, it has all stemmed from when I had it fitted. I'm always suffering from headaches and am constantly tired allll the time!!

I'm so glad I found this forum and others like it, I definitely plan on having it removed and trying something else and hopefully getting my libido back, she sure has been missed!! Will update when I've been to consult about removal.

Hannijt Mon 19-Aug-13 20:17:51

Forgot to mention that I didn't gain any weight or have any mood swings, well no more than a usual woman would. wink I definitely reckon as others have said its a fantastic contraceptive, just as long as you don't mind changing in yourself and not or the better....

wendy42 Wed 21-Aug-13 21:13:29

Omg had the implant 3 months ago. Thank you mumsnet I thought I was going mad. Mood swings,light periods that last 2 weeks, now having heavy periods that last 2 weeks (at least something is consistent) sex life just about surviving! I have a very patient fella! It was his idea to see what side effects were. I have also started a period within 3 hours of having sex. I've had in the past 3 months period pains that last a week then nothing ,then another week goes by and then I get a period oh did I mention reoccurring thrush. I'm going back to gp to have it removed I can't live like this. I think your right its the best contraceptive in the world because my sex life is sinking fast

Hannijt Thu 29-Aug-13 09:38:15

So I went to see the clinic about having the implant out as the only reason I could give as my problem with it was lack of libido. They have given me the ovranette pill to take on top as is supposed to be good for libido. So am willing to trial it for 3 months to see how I get on with it. Then will decide what I want to do.

Sorry haven't had time to read the whole thread but I had nexplanon put in Nov 2012. I've had no problems with bleeding or anything, however about 2 weeks ago my boobs started getting really sensitive, like when I was pregnant. Has anyone else had this problem and has it got better?

MousyMouse Sun 08-Sep-13 22:15:30

do you know that you can report the side effects to the mhra yellow card scheme ?

trinitybleu Sun 08-Sep-13 22:18:30

Just to say I've had Implanon for 3 years and loved it. No bleeding at all for 2.5 years, no obvious weight gain (was fat already) and no loss of libido. Had it changed for Nexplanon a month ago and no bleeding since. The Implanon was pretty deep so difficult to remove (still healing now) and the Nexplanon is nearer the surface so can feel it more, but no problem. No loss of libido on this one either grin.

lizzyc89 Tue 10-Sep-13 11:11:31

I joined Mumsnet specifically to comment on this thread - I got the implant about 4 months ago, and immediately afterwards searched for side effects online when a friend suggested that the doctor might have played them down. I found this and panicked completely, but decided to stick with it. I've come back to say that I feel extremely lucky, and that not every experience is bad! About 2 weeks after having Nexplanon fitted I had a period lasting about 20 days, which, thankfully, then stopped and settled into my usual 5-6 days, lighter than before, in the following months. The only other side effects I've had are slightly greasier skin and hair, but I have taken these happily after seeing what some of you have been through. I'm glad I stuck with it because it seems to be working for me, but am also glad I now know what to look out for in future, just in case. The doctor definitely did play the side effects down! 'Some people experience changes that might be unacceptable to you', nice and general. My advice to anyone considering it would be research the side effects yourself, then try it and see - everyone is different.

In case it helps, I was on Yasmin for contraception and to control heavy periods for about 3 years before I tried Nexplanon, and had no side effects (I just got busier and started forgetting to take it).

kayt52 Wed 11-Sep-13 11:12:02

Hi from a very upset mum. My 24 year old daughter had the Nexplanon inserted in April, on Mon 9 September she went to the doctor and was told she is 10 weeks pregnant. We are distraught. No periods with the implant so we had no idea and now it's late for a medical solution, apparently. We don't understand why the doctor wouldn't take it out immediately.

Kahliahstar Thu 12-Sep-13 08:52:48

I have just read all of these comments and what I have to say is the nexplanon is a demon. I had it inserted in February 2013 and I bled non stop for about 2 months. I also have had very bad mood swings and multiple cysts on my ovaries, it has caused me to break out and get very oily. I have headaches and lower abdominal pain almost everyday. I'm constantly hungry yet have gained no weight instead I've lost weight. I have come to the point where I want to cut it out myself! My boyfriend and I were talking about having a baby in may and I am really regretting this thing! I have talked to my doctor and they say to give it more time and the side effects will go away but what they my doctor doesn't understand is not only am I having all these issues with it but I'm ready for a baby! I am going to find any place that will take this out for me and if nobody will, then I'll do it myself!

donnas1984 Thu 12-Sep-13 11:04:28

Hi,
I had my nexplanon removed 1 week ago after almost 2 years of crazyness!
Has anyone else had it removed and suffered what i can only describe as withdrawl symptoms - Pounding headaches, upset stomach, sore boobs? Still no period or spotting... it took 2 years of ttc my dd so im hoping it not as long this time!
Any advice greatly recieved! xx

nightcircus Fri 13-Sep-13 19:57:30

Had mine out 2 weeks ago. Had it for 6 months but it caused me to feel depressed/angry.
Feel much happier already. Glad I didn't wait any longer to get rid.

Concerned27 Fri 27-Sep-13 13:53:29

Hi there
I'm worried about my daughter, she's 21 and has had Nexplanon for just over a year and she has become a different person, with depression, mood swings, insecurity, angry outbursts, etc...(as well as continuous bleeding for the first 9 months). She is having the implant out in 10 days, what I am wondering is if anyone who had similar symptoms and then had the implant taken out could tell me if they are feeling better now, and how long that took. I am worried that it is ruining her relationship with her boyfriend, as well as hurting her. Of course I love her to bits and it is so painful to see what this thing has done to her, and our relationship as well being pushed to the limit because she feels I dont try to understand her!! It would help to have an idea of how easy it may be for her to get back to normal.. Thanks in advance to anyone who may reply.

donnas1984 Fri 27-Sep-13 15:03:13

concerned 27 Hi. I have had kt implants out for 3 weeks and I must admit for the first week I felt awful I had headaches stomach cramps and backache. now I feel fine and im just waiting for mt periods to cone back so I can start trying for another babysmile
I had implanon before nexplanon and I have found them to be very different. also they do say you are fertile almost as soon as its removed so take extra care if you're not wanting grandkids!
hope this helps xx

spacecdt Mon 07-Oct-13 14:10:50

Hi,

I was searching through the internet for advice on side effects on nexplanon because I have had a horrendous time on it and have been trying to rationalize how much of what I've experienced is the nexplanon. After reading all these posts, I registered so I can share my experience maybe it will help someone else.

17 weeks ago now, I went to the dr because i was getting some numbness in my right arm and on the cheek of my face. As i was on a combination pill i was told there was a good chance it was due to that and i should change to the mini pill cerazete. Id been on various combination pills for 16 years with no problems, but the Dr advised the change, so i went with it.

A month later i went back as i had been experiencing constant heavy bleeding and clotting and the numbness hadn't changed. I was then advised to switch to the nexplanon implant as they weren't keen to let me have a combination pill whilst i was still getting this numbness thing. A friend of mine had been on nexplanon with no problems at all so I switched. They also kept me on the cerazete at the same time to try and stop the bleeding as they both work with the same hormone.

If the consistent heavy bleeding / clotting wasn't enough, it was at this point my real problems kicked in, for the next 3 months the bleeding / clotting continued, and I started to get ringing in my ears, and a pulsating noise (both are apparently related to tinnitus) , headaches , seriously greasy skin, dizziness and my hair is coming out, which is making me stress even more and I've been spoken to in work about how i seem to have lost my compassion to those around me, my libido has completely left the building and my poor partner has been left with what feels like a shell of a person, because despite how wonderful and patient and kind he has been though all this, i just feel emotionless, which is odd because the words coming out to those around me are kinda cold and angry but inside what i feel doesn't match what i'm saying.

I went back to my doctor and to be honest they just wanted me to 'stick with it' , I had to go back a few times and eventually they agreed to take it out because the original numbness i went there with was still there. They finally decided not because i was going through hell with this nexplanon but because they wanted to rule out the hormones being the cause of the numbness that i was allowed to have it out. I wasn't going to complain, it was coming out!

When i had it out the nurse practitioner wasn't very happy with me and her and her assistant kept making comments about the cost to the NHS, I'd love to see how much they cared about the cost the the NHS after months of the crap i've just been through.

It's been almost a week now and although the bleeding hasn't stopped (im hopping it's because my body doesn't know its own cycle yet as this is the first time in 16 years i've been on nothing) already i feel more like my self, the headaches have got a lot better, i've not had dizziness in days and just knowing that thing is out, feels like a weight has been lifted off my shoulders. I've been told i'm coming across a lot less cold/angry to the people around me as well smile

When i was put on nexplanon i was told it was the bees knees in contraception and that the only side effects i would need to look out for were possible oily skin as that was common and that my periods might stop. I think they missed a few warnings off the list there, if i had any idea this may happen, I'd have just opted for condoms in the first place.

As for the numbness, i have a neurology appointment in 2 weeks, they now think i might have a pinched artery or something reducing the blood flow to my arm / face.

I feel that if the NHS is going to put the pressure on GPs to NOT take this thing out because of cost then they should do a better job at fully informing there patients about ALL the possible side effects. I'm not completly free of this mess yet, but reading posts were people have been forced to keep it in for a year or more being fobbed off with just wait a little longer or this is normal. I feel that despite my experience so far, i'm one of the lucky ones, because at least it's out now and i can concentrate on trying to be me again.

thehiddenpaw Tue 22-Oct-13 21:02:56

Thanks mousy mouse, I did not know about the Mhra scheme to report side effects so just went and did it. I still have implant, completed my marathon, weighing more than ever before. Off to drs soon to present evidence and get removed. Husband vasectomy later in month

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now