Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Nexplanon implant thing - how I regret that!

(135 Posts)
Alwaysworthchecking Thu 18-Aug-11 16:55:00

Had the implant put in just before travelling abroad (two and half weeks ago) and how I hate the thing! I bleed constanty - enough, initially, to just need pantyliners but for a week and a half now, enough to need the Mooncup. I feel grumpy quite a lot of the time and, much as I can't have sex what with all the bleeding, I don't fancy it all! The one time we managed, it was really uncomfortable. I also hate that I can feel it in my arm, although that is obviously a minor concern.

So, as a contraceptive, it's pretty effective, but it's not what I had in mind.

I can't take oestrogen-based contaceptives, I got pregnant and then miscarried on micronor and I'm not going for the Mirena - not risking messing my hormones about like this again. Want it out and then go back to condoms - never had any problems with them.

If I could take it out myself with the paring knife in the kitchen, I think I would.

Is it likely to settle down, do you think? Also, what are my chances of getting it removed when I get back home in a week or so?

anee90 Thu 07-Mar-13 12:11:20

Hi guys, I found this thread and have joined to share and have a rant!

I had my Nexplanon inserted in September 2013 I was told I would probably experience some side effect in the first 3 months. I really wish this was the case. I have not stopped bleeding since then! Initially I had spotting (just a panty liner) then full blown bleeding as in i'm on my period for eternity. Its distressing because Ive been experiencing cramps, swelling and even clotting.

So I went to my GP after the 3 months who sent me to the clinic who gave me some pills to counteract the bleeding etc. THIS DID NOT WORK I have just finished a 3 month cycle of pills bleeding all the way through. I may have had 2 weeks all together of days in the whole 6 months since I was implanted.

Nevermind the spots! I have never had spots always clear skin. spots everywhere leaving bloody scars as well. Absolutely awful, I do have a sex drive occasionally not that my boyfriend can touch me because I'm too scared of something awful happening and being eternally mortified. So indeed i wont be having any babies, but no fun either.

Mood wise I'm up and down and have been experiencing some quite low moments and crying at cartoons or anything really.
Im really annoyed as I was so excited to be protected for 2/3 years but now its all gone to pot.

I will be going to get it removed as soon as I can! Im slightly worried because I had it implanted during an operation so I didn't feel the pain. How much will it hurt????

AudiAmy Sun 10-Mar-13 18:29:31

Hello
My arm did not hurt at all when I had it removed (because the local anesthetic they give you really works). You just need to be patient because it can take about 10 minutes to come out. My arm did not bruise at all and looks like any scar will be very tiny indeed.
Good luck!

majormoo Thu 14-Mar-13 14:28:06

I've had mine for two months and bleed constantly. I'm also getting horrible sweating from it (well assume the hot flushes are from that). I want the thing out. Having had cervical abnormalities in the past I cannot be doing with crazy bleeding incase it masks something more sinister. Unfortunately keep getting fobbed off by gp when I ask to get it removed. They were delighted to put the evil thing in.

ohmentalnessisme Fri 15-Mar-13 10:57:04

Woohoo at long last its out! It took 2 minutes and I didn't feel a thing. So so relieved to finally be rid of the thing, its awful how long they make you wait to have it taken out. I had to tell my doctor I would take it out myself if he didn't refer me and I still had to wait over 2 weeks! It's not right that women can have an unwanted foreign object in their body thats causing them harm and they get fobbed off by doctors and made to keep it in longer angry aren't we supposed to have autonomy over our bodies?

Brownhotsugar Sat 16-Mar-13 11:05:40

majormoo-i have been getting hot flushes too!! ive had implant in for just over a month now,, and ive had a period for the last 14 days,, fortunately not heavy.. waiting for the two months mark to see whether it should be removed or if all will have settled.

Jojohamm1976 Wed 20-Mar-13 19:17:08

Hi, please bear with me, I am new to this! I have had 2 implanon implants and had my 3rd implant nexplanon at the end of jan. I had no problems with implanon and loved it, however nexplanon is something different! Last 2 weeks have felt tired, had headaches, complete lack of interest in sex. Went to Dr to test for diabetes or thyroid all negative. I'm now thinking its the nexplanon. What do people think? Really stsrting to grt me down, luckily have a fab hubby. Any ideas for alternative contraception. Please help and confirm I'm not loosing the plot!!!!!!

ohmentalnessisme Sat 23-Mar-13 13:46:19

Jojo my symptoms were very similar and I feel like a different person since getting my implant taken out! From my experience I would say its very likely to be your implant causing your problems.

lilydee Sun 31-Mar-13 21:19:04

I actually feel really lucky, I've had nexplanon since June last year and I haven't had any bleeding for five months the first few months were a bit annoying my cycle got shorter but they were the same as before the implant was put in so it was fine..

My only complainant is that it digs into my arm and can be quite painful if I'm doing anything that really involves my biceps. I may have mood swings but I wouldn't really notice I get them with my anti seizure medication anyway.

I would and have recommended it as it's really been worth it and my doc said I can have it out whenever I like smile

Gabriella777 Tue 02-Apr-13 21:53:17

Hi, I'm 30 Year old .. My first implant I had for three years and in November 2011 I change it for new implant ..Nexplanon. I had two months of bleeding while being on my first implant and when I had it inserted this one I had period for SIX MONTHS then stop for two months then Three months !!!! I'm 5'7" and I was weighting 8,5-9stone till last year .. Now I'm still same height hahaaha and weight 11stone 4 pounds!
I never had problems with weight or loosing weight but now its seems to be very difficult... Apart from putting loads of weight while being on Nexplanon all is great and Have no issues with it. I was moody and angry now I'm relax and more happy...Nexplanon calm me down a lot and if not the weight thing I would never consider to taking it out. But I'm fed up being fat and I want to be slim again.
So only weight gain in my case but it did calm me down and my mood for sex is bigger then before...I become more active and fun as my boyfriend would say.

ninavetnurse Wed 10-Apr-13 12:48:30

My name is Maya im 21, and Yes!
I am so happy that i am not the only one that has this issue.
I have had the old implanion for 3 years it was amazing, no period no nothing even if my moods were off sometimes i use to control it.
Now I have had put the new nexplanion on feb 2nd. And until NOW i still have my period!! on and off, its horrible!! sad
I am emotional, im senstive, so bad! Im over. Im bloated, i have bought so much pads, its horrible. If i have shower, or anything i keep thinking it'll stop, but No no it has its own mind...

I am so mad!

My ex before, actually he has suffered when i have had the implanion (even if it was good but yes it has had its bad times) I treated him badly, moods, angry, no sex, ........ We have had sex but it was nasty or im having sex then it comes... its a turn off....

Tomorrow i am going to the gp to take it out!!

I dont have a sex drive, even if im aroused its worse....

I actually don't know what other contraceptive that might work...sad

I am so worried about how this messes my body up.

My step mum knows how badly i want this out....

I just wish to feel a bit balanced...

ePalma Wed 01-May-13 06:59:19

I thought I'd add to this forum as I found it very useful when trying to decide what to do with my implant, so my experience may help others. I had the implant for a total of five years.

I decided to go for Implanon due to its convenience (I frequently travel long distance with work so for example taking a pill at the same time each day was not going to be easy, and I was terrified by the thought of having a child). As soon as I had it implanted I started to gain weight and got increased acne. Sex drive reduced and I was more irritable and I felt less energy to do things. Despite this I was so terrified of motherhood that I continued with the implant.

I am 6 foot tall (180cm), so when I had the implant I weighed a steady (3 years) 72kg which was below the weight limit for the implant to be successful. With the weight gain I went up to 78kg which is above the limit. I started running to keep the weight down, and so ran half an hour 5 times a week which kept the weight from creeping up at 75kg (the weight limit!). Despite this, at 2.5 years I decided to get it replaced as I didn't want to risk the hormones running out (whether that was possible I don't know but as I said, I was terrified of pregnancy so erred on the side of caution).

I had Implanon replaced with Nexplanon, and the symptoms and side effects continued. With both I had no periods for the first 6 months, then almost constant trickle there after. I had bad acne and at this point had scarring. With work stress I couldn't exercise so much so my weight went up to 80kg, and I was generally miserable. Sex drive low, acne, weight gain, mood swings.

Then when I turned 30, after 5 years on the implant, I was no longer terrified about pregnancy. Knowing that I could deal with it if it happened, and that I would even be excited (although a little scared) by the prospect. I decided to have the implant removed. My husband of 7 years and I have decided to use the non hormonal contraception - tracking charts, condoms etc.

I was then worried about infertility, which I had read about, however I decided not to worry about this as there was nothing I could do about it. Work was very busy and this also helped keep my mind off it.

After two weeks of having it removed I had significantly reduced acne - few new eruptions, just scars remaining. My weight stayed the same. My energy increased and my husband says I became a nicer person (fewer mood swings).

In the 3/4th week I started to feel an extremely strong sex drive and extremely sore breasts and then around two weeks later I got my period. I've since had a second period (again around a five week cycle, however I expect it will settle in its own time).

My weight has remained... I heard that the body doesn't shift it on it's own, but needs to be dropped through diet and exercise (sigh!) but I find I'm not so ravenous now, and have picked up on my running and started some HIIT so hopefully soon I will be back to my pre-implant weight.

Anyway, I thought I'd share this as when I was looking for help I couldn't find many who'd kept this in long term like I had. Especially how long it took for periods to return to normal. I hope it is helpful to others smile

lifewithoutsexisnolifeatall Thu 23-May-13 12:36:19

so happy i found this!!
was meant to get implant (nexplanon) on june 11th but after reading this, i guess it's pills for me!!
what a relief it is to know that i won't have to get it removed!!
THANKYOU!!! smile

areynolds09 Wed 29-May-13 02:43:39

I got my implanon replaced due to the 3 years being up and my Dr put in nexplanon. I have had nothing but arm pains, burning feeling, soreness, and extream itiching since I got it placed on may 22. Oh and it feels like half the rod is comming up to the skin surface. I'm calling him tomorrow to ask what do to. The only time I get relief is by placing pressure on the site.

dibdab76 Thu 06-Jun-13 10:24:03

got implanon after 3rd baby in 2008 then got it replaced with nexa in 2011. im into my final year on NEXA and iv hated it. No periods or issues with IMPLANON but bleed heavy every month with mexa and get bad cramps and sore breasts. ZERO sex drive, very low and moody and aggressive. I HATE IT. lately iv been getting stomach and digestive issues, wind pains, back pains. feel like my body isnt my own. bad acne. moods terrible lately. always down. No energy. Is it the NEXA. i want it out. My body needs a break after almost 6 years with this stuff running through me. anyone else feel like this or am i losing it.xxxx

iklboo Thu 06-Jun-13 10:35:05

After 6 years of no bleeds with implananon, now I've started with the whole cramps, mood swings, bloating and bleeds with NEXA. I'm not a very happy bunny.

mousical Mon 17-Jun-13 12:17:25

Yep I agree...I had implanon for 3 years, no periods for the first 8 months, then regualr 'normal periods' towards the very end I started to have much longer periods, but my GP advised that is was beacuse the implant was at the end of the cycle so I pushed on. I am now 2 years into my Nexplanon implant and I hate it. I bleed for 4 weeks at a time - it is hell.

I am at the end of my tether and have booked an appointment to hopefully have it removed. Has anyone found an alternative?

Smurfella Mon 17-Jun-13 21:15:19

Hi everyone, just joined Mumsnet after reading a link about Nexplanon. I've had an implant since last September, and initially things were going well, my periods stopped and I thought great no bleeding, and no having to remeber to take a pill.
But then after an examination in December I was sent for a scan and this revealed I have fibroids. I am also nearly 47 and suffering menopausal symptoms. In April this year I then had a period which lasted 16 days, (it was light), then I had about 4 weeks free and started again on the 22nd May and I am still bleeding now!
I have spoken with my doctor and she wants to take implant out tomorrow, but feeling very confused, as I don't know whether its the implant , menopause or fribroids causing the prolonged bleeding and I was happy with the implant until this last couple of months.
Don't know what to do as I don't fancy the alternatives. Doctor suggested a coil, but I really don't like that idea and apparently I have a fibroid right where the coil is supposed to sit. Has anyone got any advice please?

Smurfella Mon 17-Jun-13 21:19:28

Forgot to say I have put around 2 stones in weight on whilst being on the implant, am constantly hungry and tired all the time. I hate exercise and find it difficult to fit in with my work, under a lot of stress at the moment also, Help!

BambieBabe Wed 19-Jun-13 20:59:09

I'm on the implant and looking at all the messages I can't believe that it's the implant causing me all these problems. I've had so many side effects from this "Nexplanon" it's unreal.

A list of something's:-

Breast enlargement (from C - G)
Weight gain (2 stone)
Awful mood swings
Serious loss/ change of personality (even I've noticed)
Snappiness, coldness and lack of compassion towards people I love.
Short tempered and emotional
Difficulty concentrating
Makes me so stressed and anxious.
Diarrhoea, joint pain, insomnia.
Unpredictable bleeding that can last an entire fortnight and don't even mention sex!

It has caused me so many problems, and I've only just realised this is to blame. I've had it since February 2012 and it's been slowly wrecking my life without me even realising till recently. My relationship with my boyfriend is on the rocks, I've struggled unnecessarily with my A-levels need I go on...angry
It's good in the sense it stops you from getting pregnant, bravo Nexplanon, but it also destroys you as a person. No exaggeration. In a sense it's the best and worst form of contraception out there.

P.S also heard it increases chances of breast cancer, didn't remember the lady responsible for putting it in saying that! She also didn't put enough numbing in my arm so it was painful on insertion.

BambieBabe Wed 19-Jun-13 21:02:14

Forgot to mention. I'm getting rid of it ASAP!! Have no advice for those who want to keep it but are experiencing side effects other than, get rid of it.

Worried about getting a new form of conception that will prevent me from getting pregnant. I'm only 19 and I'm not ready for a baby, so frightened of it happening accidentally due to contraception failure.

hannahlaw Thu 20-Jun-13 18:13:12

I just have to say my bit. I had a Nexa implant put in over a year ago. I've not had a single problem. No bleeding, no mood swings etc. I've only had one period (which was about 10 days but very light) when I reached the one year mark.
It's sad that so many people have had problems with the implant but people react differently to medications (which this is). It works perfectly for me as I'm really bad at remembering to take medication and the pill gave me such horrendous headaches and PMS and really heavy periods that I had to change.
Nexa is worth a try because you may find it's perfect for you, but you might not. Definitely worth bringing up the practitioner inserting the implant that you're worried that it won't suit you and you should be able to book an appointment for like 8 weeks in advance so they know that you will make a decision about keeping it in/taking it out at that date. I'm defo getting mine replaced! My best friend grin

Tubemole1 Mon 24-Jun-13 21:42:44

I bled constantly on this for six months, husband also steered clear and caused as huge problem in our marriage.

I go to my sexual health clinic at my local hospital. I kick up a huge stink every time I go there as they keep offering me contraception that doesn't suit me. Go along to yours and demand all the facts. I am convinced drug companies sponsor these places and not all the options are discussed. Take along your own evidence based studies from the web and demand better information.

I wish you wellwine .

lucymillsX Sat 29-Jun-13 03:50:17

Got the nexplanon in december 2012 and my period stopped for a month then came back and I was then on for a month, and now I have my period every second week. My boyfriend say I get angry and frustrated alot and we fall out a lot, we nearly broke up. I also cry for no reason or over something silly (I never use to be like this) going to the doctors in two weeks to see what they can do!!

thehiddenpaw Tue 09-Jul-13 22:04:00

A few months ago I was happy with nexplannon. Until I realised I have put on 2 stone. I have 3 children. I am over 40. I didn't want my husband to have a vasectomy if I could mange with another means. I tried the coil. It fell out. They recommended the implant. The Dr. Was open about bleeding issues. I Have very few spotting. A few irregular months but nothing significant. Thought it was great. Went in feb for a check up about 15 months in. Dr comment about weight gain. I said oh well last year was training for marathon so no surprise. 10lb ish gain normal. Bit more than that she said. Is it a possible side effect, I asked. No she said. Oh well, better train for another marathon then. I am now up to 25 ish miles a week. I do at least one long (13+) miles a week. I have put on another 4 lbs. I like my food but have increased my exercise so this increase is illogical. I have looked online and weight gain occurs to one in ten women. It is ridiculous that even training for a marathon the weight is not calming down. My husband is going to get a vasectomy. Everyone is different. Maybe if you are younger and slimmer this weight gain could be managed. I also can now see my moodiness and rages are not just related to having new baby(now 2) buts could be the implant.not suggesting you don't have it. Until I started the long runs, I was sure I could cope. Now I am shocked that even with the training, the implant has such an impact.

hollad123 Mon 22-Jul-13 20:29:46

Has anyone had extreme hair fall from this and if yes did it stop after getting rid of it?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now