Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Does the mirena coil mess with your mind?!

(19 Posts)
footballmum Sat 06-Aug-11 10:31:04

I've been reading with interest some of the stories on here about the effects if the mirena coil and am starting to believe that mine may have caused me a lot of problems over the last few years.

I had mine fitted 4.5 years ago for contraception but also because I was suffering with dreadful hormonal headaches, made worse by the pill. After about 6 months my periods and headaches stopped altogether so for the first couple of years I was over the moon with it.

However, there has been a gradual change in my moods. I've tracked them and I think they are at a PMT time in my cycle but it's hard to tell when you have no periods at all and I never had a very regular cycle to start with! 

At these times I become a totally different person. I find myself having these imaginary arguments in my head with people who have done something to annoy me. If it's DH I regularly imagine myself leaving him. I've even looked at rental properties and worked out the custody arrangements! I've never actually told him as he'd be devastated but the effect is that I end up seething with rage and no one knows why! 

When the mood has passed and I'm "better" I cannot believe I got myself into such a state.

The other big problem is the weight thing. For me I'll call it weight control because I haven't put on masses of weight like some people have. I've probably gained about a stone but I've really had to fight hard to stop it being more. At the moment, I'm running about 15 miles a week and I'm just maintaining my weight. I don't eat rubbish and don't drink excessively. I've tried several different diets and slimming clubs and nothing works.

So I suppose what I'm asking is whether anyone else has had similar experiences? I can't quite convince myself that it's all down to the coil as it's all been quite subtle and gradual and many of the stories report an instant effect when their coil was fitted.  I think the only way I'll definitely know is if I have it out and see whether things improved but I'm worried my headaches will return and I'll replace one problem with another.

QueenStromba Sat 06-Aug-11 14:34:44

I know you're talking about the mirena, but have a read of this thread about the implant. It's full of stories exactly like yours, women who had an acute reaction are definitely in the minority. You're more likely to hear from the women who were affected immediately because they're more likely to realise it's the hormones in their coil/implant that are doing it than if the side effects started some time after. You also mention how happy you were in the start because it stopped your headaches and period so it's possible that you would have been more inclined to ignore any bad side effects in the beginning.

mischiefmummy Sat 06-Aug-11 14:41:24

Totally messed with my mind, I was having out of body experiences, crazy rages, loss of libido and couldn't shift the baby weight. I had it for 3 months and then had it taken out - a week later I was fine smile.
Someone posted an interesting link to an american website where women are listing their side-effects. Looks like it could involve lawsuits.
A lot of GPs push them on women and don't like taking them out as they cost £120 each.
Go for a normal IUD.

footballmum Sat 06-Aug-11 16:23:30

Thanks for the replies and the link. It's a relief to know I'm not alone. I suppose my biggest fear is having it removed and these symptoms not going away. What then? Do I have to face the fact that something more serious, such as depression, is going on?

footballmum Sat 06-Aug-11 16:25:07

Mischief-when you had yours out did you lose weight? Did you have to make an effort to do it or did it fall off naturally?

QueenStromba Sat 06-Aug-11 18:53:16

I'd suggest having it taken out, you're almost to the five years anyway so you shouldn't have too much hassle getting your GP to do it. I had my implant out at the family planning clinic without any problems so try that if you get no joy from your doctor.

I'd be very surprised if it wasn't the coil that was doing this since it sounds exactly like women's stories about the implant. I felt better within a few days of having my implant out but I'd only had it for 24 days (I was one of the odd cases that had an acute reaction to it) so it might take a bit longer for you to get back to normal. I wouldn't worry about it being depression or something like that since you say it happens about once a month - that has to be hormonal.

xmyboys Sat 13-Aug-11 16:21:36

Mine is coming out Thursday - woohoo. Three half years, slight weight gain but definitely lost libido, always tired, bit moody. Looking forward to a change!

Lara2 Sun 14-Aug-11 12:43:00

I was reccommended a Mirena because of hormonal migraine. When I looked it up, it said it shouldn't be used for women who get migraine!!!!

marilyn66 Thu 06-Oct-11 03:16:12

I know this is an older post but I just had my Mirena removed on Monday.

footballmum, it sounds like you and I had the EXACT same experience on it. You said "When the mood has passed and I'm "better" I cannot believe I got myself into such a state." I was the exact same way but when I went to the doctor, I was always told that the severe mood swings couldn't be cause from the Mirena and I was prescribed Cipralex. The Cipralex didn't help and I felt anxious and sobbed uncontrollably all the time. I had the Mirena in for 9 months and didn't realize how depressed I was becoming because it was so gradual but it basically created a huge personality change in me and by the time I finally got it out, I was in such deep self loathing, I couldn't bear to be in my own skin.

I, too, had this fear:

"I suppose my biggest fear is having it removed and these symptoms not going away. What then? Do I have to face the fact that something more serious, such as depression, is going on?"

When I had the IUD taken out, I instantly felt happier for about two hours. I then became a bit depressed and anxious but nothing like the mood swings and rages I had been going through when I had the IUD in. It's now Wednesday and I can honestly say I'm seeing positive changes each day.

I just hope that any woman who is on Mirena who feels like she might be depressed go get it removed IMMEDIATELY. I almost lost the man I love because I had become such a different person while on this. But I'm looking forward to the future now that I no longer have this IUD!

footballmum Mon 10-Oct-11 22:22:31

Hi Marilyn. That's really encouraging to hear. I had mine out two weeks ago too! It's very hard to say whether I'm feeling better because I had it removed a week after I lost my darling mom sad

Obviously I'm feeling really sad at the moment but, so far, I've had no more of those awful irrational thoughts. I don't feel as removed or isolated from DH or my close friends as I did before. I strongly suspect that if I'd been experiencing this grief with my coil in, I would have pushed everyone away and would have been in danger of going to a really bad place.

I generally feel more positive and "lighter" than I did before. I'm definitely more focused. Plus the weight is starting to shift too which I think is a direct result of the more positive focused attitude.

I think if you've had a really extreme reaction to the mirena then by having it removed you'll feel a more dramatic change but for people like us it's probably more subtle.

I'm also prepared to accept there may be a placebo effect going on and I'm only feeling a bit better because I expected to. Who knows? But at this point I'm inclined to believe I'm better off without it than with it!!

Hope you continue to feel better. Keep me posted!

Jp1988 Thu 16-Oct-14 21:12:06

Hi could do with help. I have recently split up with my girlfriend. We had a great relationship together and were very much in love with eachother. She had the mirena coil put in at the end of august this year and through September showed signs of distancing herself from me, wanting her own space and next to no sex drive she was also tired all the time and just all round acting like a completely different person. This culminated in 3 weeks a go her telling me that she was completely emotionless towards me and didn't think we should be together anymore. I was heartbroken it was like the love of my life has had a brain transplant. If only when I had questioned her through September whether the mirena was at fault for her feeling differently. Since we've split I have tried talking to her about so many people who are experiencing these symptoms on the mirena but she is not convinced. She is going to see her doctor next month and mention it but I have been told that no doctor will attribute it to the mirena.

bealos Sat 18-Oct-14 13:12:37

Following... I had the Mirena fitted about a month ago.

I've felt tired all the time - though possibly also felt like this beforehand - I have an 8 year old and a 20 month old, still bfing (the younger one!). It's hard to gauge.

I've had a bleeding on and off for the last month and - sorry tmi - constipation which, which I strain, seems to make fresh blood come out of my vagina, which is worrying (why would straining to go the loo put pressure on the Mirena, so much it makes my womb bleed?).

bealos Sat 18-Oct-14 13:13:17

I was looking forward to "worry-free" sex, but I've been bleeding and crampy so much and had no sex drive. sad

Geegee1234 Thu 30-Oct-14 09:31:49

I've just had mirena removed yesterday after just 6 wks. It was great at the start - just very light spotting and no period but around week 4 I started getting really bad anxiety. (I had post natal anxiety 5 yrs ago and had counselling and had been fine so it was such a shock to have it back again and 100 times worse) none of my strategies worked and I started being woke in the night with panick attacks which I'd never had before. It was awful. I thought I was going mad. Suddenly I thought it might be mirena and googled it - well the amount of info was amazing and a lot of people said it started around wk 4 as well. Looked up the little leaflet i got and it said a side effect was "nervousness" Went first thing yesterday morn to get it out. Got the usual story that the hormone shouldn't be in ur system- should just be in ur womb but I insisted and got it out. Well I slept thru the night last night for first time in over a wk- feel a little shaky today but so much better. I'm never trying hormones again- soo scary

Sothisishowitfeels Tue 04-Nov-14 17:32:55

oh my god i literally just posted this - that will teach me to read a few threads before posting!

But I have the same problem with mirena and have had it 2.5 years.

carlsonrichards Tue 04-Nov-14 17:39:37

All this 'you need to wait for it to settle'. You'd never say that to men.

Robbie40 Thu 28-Apr-16 04:47:43

Distraught husband here, my wife just recently had the Mirena coil fitted and it's like she's had a personality transplant, she is not the same person she was.I now feel like a stranger and she seems distant all the time, she feels like an imposter posing as my wife!
Please avoid to save it ruining your marriage, relationship

BillyJo16 Fri 15-Jul-16 23:03:48

Wow! I know this is an old thread (Barr ur post Robbie) but I'm so glad I've found this. I've had it in for 3 years & can relate to so much. ive had it in for 3 years. Although I did not relate it at the time, the first symptom I had was severe hunger. I am still hungry all the time. My appatite is insatiable. I have gained almost 5 stone in 3 years! I have suffered with anxiety for the past year, possibly longer if I thought into it. I didn't associate this until I read this post. We had a fantastic sex life. I now have no sex drive at all & I DO mean ZERO!!! For the past couple of months I can only describe myself as in sane!! Crying all the time for little or no reason. I actually feel removed from reality. I was such a nice person. Now, the only ppl I actually give a toss about are my kids. Even at that, I'm extremely irritable, short tempered & have no energy for them (the jury is still out on weather the lack of energy is the coil, the weight, my anti-epileptic drugs or a 3.5year old who only started sleeping 2 months ago) Prob a combination tbh but until I read this I did not include the coil in that combination. I am honestly starting to think this IUD is responsible for more than I have realised! I cannot believe someone else has actually visualised themselves leaving the marital home, looked up ToLets etc. I too have done this many times. Then when I regain normality I think "what am I actually doing" Here is a man who worships us (me plus 3 age 10, 6 & 3) All he does is for us yet I still have crazy imaginary arguments with him in my head.
Robbie, ur comment has just described exactly how I feel I treat my husband. We were best friends, had a fantastic relationship & now I can't b bothered speaking to him. Think this device has to go!!! 😱 x

debs43 Fri 02-Sep-16 21:50:17

Lo i fink I'm experiencing same effects had mirina coil for 3 half years. Last few months I ve put on weight on my belly and legs. I'm fed up all the time crying. Short tempered don't want to speak or communicate much. Just withdrawn from life.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now