Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Cerazette - is it making me fat?

(11 Posts)
Lorenz Thu 30-Jun-11 11:15:26

This is a difficult one -

I started taking cerazette 2 months ago. First month was fine, I didn't put on any weight, had a normal period etc etc

Im coming towards the end of my second month and I've suddenly realised a weight increase of 6lbs. This seemed to come on over the space of 2 weeks. Now to be fair I have been eating loads of junk. The thing is, I'm one of those lucky people that CAN eat junk and NOT put on weight so I've not been eating that much more than I normally "get away with" iyswim?

Anyway I thought "fairs fair" and I put myself on a diet. I'm also one of those lucky people who loses weight without fail once on a diet. This time however, it's not shifting.

I started the pill at 10st 6lbs. Last week I weighed 10st 12lbs. I've had a really good week, eating healthy etc and I stand on the scales this morning expecting to be around 10st 10lbs (which would normally happen with me) and I'm mortified to see the scales telling me I'm 10st 11lbs and 3/4!!!

I can only assume it's the pill?? or has my years of unhealthy eating finally caught up with me?

QueenStromba Thu 30-Jun-11 18:31:33

Any sort of hormonal contraceptive can make you put on weight and quite often the side effects of them creep up on you over time so that you are fine when you first start taking them but over the course of a few months you slowly gain weight, lose your sex drive or turn into a crazy psycho bitch from hell and may not even realise it's the pill causing it. I had terrible side effects within a few days from the implant and judging from internet forums and my GP and contraceptive nurse's reactions when I told them I'd only lasted 24 days before having it out (I had it out at a family planning clinic because I couldn't wait a week for an appointment) I was a very special case for having such a bad reaction so quickly.

kalidasa Fri 01-Jul-11 08:25:54

I think in those circs I'd come off it for a couple of months and see if the weight comes off again. If it doesn't then prob it's not the hormones and you could reconsider the pill. Personally I don't do hormonal contraception at all but those that do say that all the pills are different so you might get on better with a different one.

nellie02 Fri 01-Jul-11 08:31:56

I put on lots of weight on cerazette despite having been the type who could eat lots without worrying. On the plus side, it made me much healthier in my eating habits which makes me feel much better, but the weight still hadn't shifted despite having been off it for five months (i was on it for two years).

hope it works out for you x

noir Fri 01-Jul-11 08:38:11

My doctor said that research shows contraceptive pills do not change your metabolism or make you put on/ lose weight, what they do do is change your appetite. If you're eating more and don't like the outcome recognise that you're eat more and take control of it.

Im on depo injection and its having the opposite effect, has put me off my food sad

da1s4ku Thu 11-Aug-11 14:19:49

ive taken it 3 months im sure ive put on weight- any idea how long it takes to get back to nornal once you stop?

paddingtonbear1 Thu 11-Aug-11 14:31:57

It took about 6 months for my extra weight to go after stopping the pill. I took a few different ones over the years - put on weight with all of them, but cerazette was the worst. I changed pill again after only 3 months on that!

Madmammy12 Tue 16-Aug-11 11:46:14

I've been discovering, after 3 months on the Cilest pill (I wonder is it like Cerazette), that I have gradually put on a stone weight. And yes I havent exactly been 'watching' the diet but I havent been stuffing myself, I run 20 miles a week and after DD2 was born I lost 4stone and have kept it well off over the last 2 years with the running......but in the last five weeks I've just found my weight has been going up and up......so after this cycle I'm def coming off the pill, I worked so hard to get off this weight theres no way I'm going back to that again over the pill....

Loispmx Thu 31-Oct-13 15:57:02

Hi everyone I have now been on cerazette for about a year now n I've have gained around 3stone I have gone from a size 8/10 to 12/14 and I'm convinced it's because of this pill. Prior to taking cerazette I was on Yasmin which I was fine on however I wanted my periods to stop so the doctor recommended cerazette. I've gained so much weight and have acne now it's making me depressed can anyone recommend a pill which u don't have periods on and don't gain weight?

SecretLimonadeDrinker Sun 10-Nov-13 23:52:09

Lois, femulen was my holy grail of pills skin was much better and no weight gain but the b*stards have discontinued it. Am currently on noriday and so far it sucks hmm giving it another month before I go back to ask for a different one.

Lonelybunny Thu 05-Dec-13 19:53:31

I gained weight on cerezette as well , I've been on it years and have been stuck between 14&15 stone for about 3 years yet IMO I don't think I actually eat that bad and I have 2 physical jobs and 3 kids. When I had my third baby I weighed less after giving birth then I did when I fell pregnant , breastfed and went back on cerezette low and behold I gained 2 stone back sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now