Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Taking the mini pill? Weigh over 11 stone? Read this...

(22 Posts)
WhatYouLookingAt Tue 11-Sep-12 12:12:56

I'm not far past 11 stone and I do have a mini-pill baby.

NatashaBee Sun 09-Sep-12 20:36:25

I was told about this as I have always hovered around the 11 stone mark.

brettgirl2 Sun 09-Sep-12 20:23:07

I was told it only applies if you are overweight (I was 5'10 and about 11 stone and was worried).

vodkaanddietirnbru Wed 29-Aug-12 18:52:26

netdoctor says this:

Also, if you're significantly overweight, it's possible that the POP may not be effective enough for you, though there is some dispute about this.
If you are severely overweight but are determined to try the POP, then in my view Cerazette would probably be your best choice. Alternatively, a few doctors are willing to prescribe two mini-Pills per day for larger women.

p.s. I am very overweight and used cerazette for a few years with no problems.

NoComet Wed 29-Aug-12 00:21:07

Likewise, I've taken the mini pill for 11 years, DD2 doesn't have any younger siblings do I'm
Not going to worry (12stone -12 stone 8ish)

Northernlurkerisonholiday Wed 29-Aug-12 00:16:48

I used the mini pill for 9 years for contraception without problems. I was (amd am still) considerably over 11 stone. I know it was an effective method of contraception for us as when dh and I wanted ttc we did so first month of no pill. I used to take neogest. It's very odd as by everything I've read since I should have been on a double dose - but I never was. Glad dh has had the snip now though!

Clockless Wed 29-Aug-12 00:12:55

other than cerazette? So is cerazette ok then? (sorry should have read your post properly!)

Clockless Wed 29-Aug-12 00:11:50

Just been prescribed this, and the gp didn't aske me my weight. I'm 12 stones, so not massively over but now not sure about switching.

TheLaineyWayIsEssex Wed 29-Aug-12 00:06:13

I have heard this too. AFAIK all mini pills other than cerazette you should double dose if you are over 11stone.

Clockless Tue 28-Aug-12 23:58:37

Cripes! Is this true?

Bearslikehoneyintheirtummy Thu 05-May-11 21:41:48

Gosh I would have to take 3!

Goodness. So does that mean I should be taking double the dose of folic acid too? <panicking now>

TotalChaos Thu 05-May-11 21:07:32

It's true BooBoo, was told 4 years ago (and have read) that mini-pills other than Cerazette are less effective if you are over 11 stone so, I was prescribed Cerazette for this reason (rather than double dose of Micronor).

largeginandtonic Thu 05-May-11 20:56:32

I was taking the mini pill and was just bleeding the whole fecking time.

I went back to the doctor who said, as he scratched his head, "Perhaps you don't have enough in your system, take 2 pills a day MrsGinny".

"Ummmm does that mean i don't have enough hormone in my system to stop me geting pregnant?"

"Possibly, possibly" he said in a very complacent manor.

I doubled dose immediately. I was 10 and half stone and am 5'3.

Good to know eh?!

fartingfran Thu 05-May-11 20:52:13

BooBoo drug dosages are calculated on weight. Mostly there's a wide enough dose range for a single dose to be effective for all but in some cases that's not the case so I can quite believe this.

Earthdog Thu 05-May-11 20:50:43

It is true, if over 11 stone the dose should be doubled. The relative size of the woman doesnt matter just the overall weight.

That's true. If I see the same midwife next time I shall ask!

BooBooGlass Thu 05-May-11 12:08:05

But 11 stone as a catch all term is ridiculous. a 4 foot 8 woman and a 6 foot woman would obviously be built very differently at 11 stone. It's just not that simple. And imagine the lawsuits if that were true.

I an significantly overweight. And I thought it was odd too but she was adamant, and is a family planning counsellor as well as a midwife so I assumed she knew what she was talking about.

I know a couple of overweight pregnant women who have been told they need to take double the dose of folic acid for the same reason.

BooBooGlass Thu 05-May-11 12:03:05

Not unless you're significantly overweight I mean, but even then I doubt they'd prescribe the pill anyway would they? Your midwife shouldn't tell you such rubbish.

BooBooGlass Thu 05-May-11 11:59:28

Nah, I don't believe that. Sorry.

I found out today that if you weigh over 11 stone when you're using the mini pill as a contraceptive, you need to take 2 pills per day instead of just 1. Otherwise it doesn't work.

I found this out at a meeting with my midwife as I'm 8 weeks pregnant, despite taking the mini pill! Now I know why... confused

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now