Famous Relatives (or infamous!) - just for fun

(144 Posts)
mumnosbest Thu 16-Oct-08 14:11:18

Researching my family tree, I was surprised to find I'm related to Florence Nightingale and Brian Blessed. Who'd have put those to in the same tree? grin Any of you discovered any little surprises?

somewherewest Sat 27-Apr-13 16:04:58

My great great grandfather is from the same Irish county as Barack Obama's great x lots grandfather, so obviously we are related. I'm genuinely related to a few mildly famous-in-Ireland people. The main one is my grandmother's first cousin, who is considered one of the best players ever in the Irish sport of hurling. He's even been on a stamp...the excitement grin.

RockinD Fri 26-Apr-13 13:45:25

A friend of mine is quite closely related to Dr Shipman - you could do a lot worse than be related to my friend.

DrCoconut Sat 06-Apr-13 17:03:31

We have no proof yet but our research suggests that there may be a link between us and the infamous Dr Shipman. Not my first choice for famous relative.

Cocodale Sun 24-Feb-13 03:03:25

Lady Godiva !

HollyBerryBush Sun 24-Feb-13 01:26:43

27th G/grand daughter of Edward III. Actually I can now take it back past William the Conquerer to Rollo of Normandy b. 846, before that it all goes a bit wishy-washy in Norse legand.

Muminwestlondon Thu 14-Feb-13 12:52:30

I think we are distant cousins as I am also descended from Joan. We dropped out of the royal tree after Edward 111 - my ancestor is Richard 111 bro the Duke of Clarence via his daughter St Margaret Pole - both judicially murdered in the Tower. Elizabeth Woodville the mother of the two murdered princes is also my ancestor via her first marriage. Brian Boru is also my ancestor via Inchiquin - one of many unpleasant ancestors. I also have a genocidal Irish ancestor who allegedly has the epitaph - England's honour. Scotland's wonder, Ireland's terror lies here under. Nice. Also have Fitzgeralds, strongbow etc. Therefore related to most UK and Irish posh titled families.

There are some claims that the Spanish royals were descended from Muhammad via North African nobles, which if true would also make him my ancestor and probably yours.

DH and I are distantly related both descend from siblings of Boyle (boyles law). I am related to the current royals in various ways but unfortunately have not been able to shape shift - still trying.

I think we are all related much more closely than we imagine!

Sunnymeg Wed 06-Feb-13 14:30:37

My 27th great grandfather is William the Conqueror, so through him I'm related to oodles of royals,including St Margaret who was Queen of Scotland. Bit odd to be descended from a saint!
We dropped out of the line of succession in Edward I's time as I am descended from his daughter Joan of Acre.

monsterchild Wed 29-Aug-12 01:29:37

Elephants, my DH did his research through an online database, Ancestry, I think?

And you look them all up, each one, and wiggle around trying to verify (if someone hasn't already) if that Elizabeth Hughes is your great great grandma or not.

monsterchild Wed 29-Aug-12 01:27:07

I'm not related to anyone remotely famous. But DH is related to Willie Nelson, Pocahontas and a Lord Mayor of London.

perceptionreality Wed 29-Aug-12 01:26:33

How do you all find this stuff out? It's fascinating.

NeverSayNoToDessert Wed 29-Aug-12 01:21:53

I'm related to a spy for China against the US? Does that count? I'm also related to a guy who discovered Syrian hamsters. They have wiki pages- hamster guy and the closest to James Bond in my family

kendallmintcake Thu 23-Aug-12 10:18:45

My ancestors were largely landowners, vicars and naval officers. Am also descended from the 1st Bishop of Bombay.

Lara2 Fri 17-Aug-12 10:05:08

My granny's first cousin was Margaret Lockwood the British film star. Her real name was Davey not Lockwood.

HairyToedHopSkipAndJumpIt Mon 13-Aug-12 12:55:35

My great great grandfather was a bit of a cocklodger and abandoned his wife Mary and children to the workhouse. Both of them then went off having children with other people.

Mary's daughter became the great grandmother of Michael Sheen. Her estranged husband's daughter was my great granny. I think that makes the two girls step-sisters confused but Michael and I no relation whatsoever so not really sure why I posted it here grin

Anyway, it would have made for interesting threads if MN had been around in the 1880s...

Fcas Wed 25-Jul-12 23:22:49

Wow! Very jealous of you well connected people!
I would love to have found someone famous in my famy tree. Though mine seems to stop dead at my great great grandad!..
So.. I have decided in 100 years time I am going to be the 'famous' relative!! grin

Not sure on how it's going to happen yet though!

I find all this fascinating. Haven't researched my family tree (not sure how to go about it) but can I ask a probably thick question. How do you decide which line to follow? Say you look at your mums line, how do you choose whether to look at your grandfather or grandmother and then your great grandmother or greatgrandfather? Or do you do all of them?

saffronwblue Fri 22-Jun-12 05:26:41

Michael Faraday, the Boleyn family and the Spencers.
Someone who was the perpetrator of a massacre against Aborigines in New South Wales.

notcitrus Fri 22-Jun-12 05:08:38

My grandad's uncle discovered gold in Australia and has a mountain range and river named after him. That's as close as we get to famous ancestors. But he then ended up working for the state governor - who was DH's grandad's uncle and only famous relative.

Clearly we were fated to be together!

My dad's family were tenant farmers for the last 400 years, and all the rest of my mother's family were the Eastern European equivalent.

1944girl Fri 22-Jun-12 01:40:33

My DH distant ancestor married Lady Jane Grey's sister.He has the same surname, and was keeper of the Tower of London.

Thomas Percy, one of the Gunpowder Plotters. Several generations of Earls and Dukes of Northumberland, and William the Conqueror is my 27x great grandfather. I've traced a direct line to Alfred the Great and beyond.
All through a lucky break. My 4x great grandma was illegitimate but named her father on her marriage certificate. Landed gentry gets peasant chick up the duff shocker!

tb Tue 10-Jan-12 14:55:28

Oliver North is a second cousin (the shredder virtuoso in the US in the '80's)

Sarah Jennings (apparently) 1st duchess of Marlborough

an itinerant preacher called Charles Raspberry according to my late df

MarieFromStMoritz Tue 12-Apr-11 14:03:37

The man on the Quaker Oats box.

heynonnymice Tue 12-Apr-11 13:55:45

Marie Stopes
Barnes Wallis (of bouncing bomb creation)
A. V. Roe (of Avro early aviation fame)

My dad's family owned a quarry in what became Cape Town & there is a very posh suburb now named after them on teh quarry site. None of us can afford to live there anymore.

goodbyemrschips Sat 09-Apr-11 20:22:48

Sir John Arundell Admiral of the West to Henry the eighth.

Built Trerice House in Cornwall and lost the lot when he refused to convert to the church of england faith.

ByThePowerOfGreyskull Mon 15-Nov-10 13:12:10

not famous in the grand scheme of things but my greatgrandad ran the first cinema's in Manchester and his sons used to ride round on bicycles taking the rolls of films from cinema to cinema.
He was also at the inaugural dinner of 20th century fox smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now