1939 Register - has anyone had any luck?

(8 Posts)
Twowrongsdontmakearight Wed 04-Nov-15 21:47:34

Just that really. I've been really looking forward to it as a way to find information but the names I've put in don't come up with anything!

chocaholic73 Mon 09-Nov-15 14:08:56

Mixed results here. I haven't gone past the free search at the moment and I have found some family members but my grandparents are completely absent (and I have a lot of background information on them so know my facts are correct). Have you read about "closed" entries - there is a whole section on it - if the person would now be less than 100 years and 1 month, their entry is closed. If you know they have died and can provide evidence they will open the entry. I am going to look at this more thoroughly when I have a bit more time (and money!)

Twowrongsdontmakearight Mon 09-Nov-15 18:57:16

Thanks chocoholic. I've just read it. I know my estranged grandfather is dead so I might try it!!

daffsntulips Tue 08-Dec-15 22:08:05

I have found both of my grandparents on there, it doesn't seem to list children.

Oh, I didn't know this was available.

It was amazing just seeing my grandparents names.

Thankyou for drawing my attention to it flowers

BestIsWest Tue 08-Dec-15 22:36:52

I have found my grandparents in there although my grandfather's name is wrong. I wonder if you can get it corrected.

Twowrongsdontmakearight Wed 20-Jan-16 21:41:34

I'm wondering if anyone has managed to get one of the sealed/ redacted records opened and how easy it was.

I'm interested in finding out more about my grandfather who was a bit of a rogue. I think he died in the late 1990s but my rough search made it look like his record wasn't available.

Has anyone done this yet and if so do you have any tips?

mummytime Sat 02-Apr-16 22:32:01

The most interesting thing I discovered was this record was still being used until quite recently by the NHS. Which is why it had the married names of both my mother and aunt attached to their record as children. (They died early enough to be "open".)
To get records opened I think it is easier if you have a findmypast membership that month.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now