Marriage and birth cert confusion - any ideas?

(8 Posts)
Lavenderhoney Tue 03-Sep-13 15:42:08

I have the marriage cert of my grandparents. My gd was born in essex, but there is no record of any births of anyone of his name in Essex! I am using ancestry.

There is a possible of him being born Berkshire, mainly as someone of his name was born there at the right time- as his parents are from there, but why would it be different on his marriage cert and census?

Any ideas welcome, its very confusing!

TakeItAsRed Tue 03-Sep-13 15:52:12

I would suspect that he actually arrived in the world in Berkshire, but moved when he was a few months old (possibly even weeks) and as far as he was concerned - he was an Essex boy from the outset.
Its possible his mother even returned home to her mum, to have the baby? and then went home after a couple of weeks?

As he was the one filling in the details for the marriage certificate he would just have put what he understood to be fact.

Lavenderhoney Tue 03-Sep-13 17:30:51

Thank you! I think you are right, but wouldn't he have had to have shown a birth cert in the 1920's? I assume he would have, but I don't really know.

Betty3boys Sat 07-Sep-13 15:10:05

Hello, I had a similar puzzle once with a grandfather who swore he'd always been a 'local boy' and stated as such on his wedding certificate, however it transpired that his mother had actually gone into a workhouse for two weeks to give birth, miles away in a totally different county to have him. Therefore his birth (I now have the certificate) was registered in a very unexpected county. I'm not sure he ever even knew this himself! Women did used to 'go away' to have babies often. We also had a riddle which turned out to be an adoption. Family research often leads to more questions than answers! Oh and it's common for spelling mistakes by the transcribers so always worth a check variations of surname and forename too. Good luck...

Lavenderhoney Fri 13-Sep-13 14:45:07

That's interesting Betty. I suppose if I got his birth cert it might help, but seeing as I am struggling to find out who my ggf married - there are two possibles! He seems to have married when he was about 20 to one woman then another 10 years later of the same first name. I just don't know. I think I need to spend a lot more time on it.

Does findmypast bring up different stuff to ancestry? Even freebmd has new stuff for me.

I have just discovered my MGM had another baby she gave up for adoption and he could be anywhere.

I also discovered my dm was dumped in a children's home when her adopted mother died. The family didnt want her and she was left with nothing at 14.

I can see them on ancestry and they don't mention my dm at all. They all grew up with her though. Its quite painful. I haven't told my dmsad

ivykaty44 Sun 29-Sep-13 20:24:49

a marriage certificate does not give place of birth - it gives the parish where the groom was living at the time he got married.

So for example you may be born in berkshire and move to essex when you where 16 and then if you got married you would put down your address as essex and of the parish of where ever in essex

Lavenderhoney Mon 07-Oct-13 18:25:34

Could this get more confusing!

I have just looked at the christening records of my gf and although his father is who I think it is, it is showing a competent different name for mother, who also happens ( if they are the right family) to have the same name as his 3 year old sister.

I wish I hadn't started this, its so complicated.

Lavenderhoney Mon 07-Oct-13 18:26:47

Oh, and he was christened several months before his birth date. He has an unusual name and there are no other births of that name and father name that year.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now