Anyone else tracing Irish ancestors?

(8 Posts)
somewherewest Sat 27-Apr-13 15:45:11

I've just started on this and was wondering if anyone else wanted to compare notes. So far I've just trawled through free online resources (1901/1911 censuses, Griffith's Valuation, Tithe applotments) and talked to my grandparents, although I do have an exciting day's gravestone viewing booked in next time I'm home in Ireland (I sure know how to have fun grin). I've just forked out for an ancestry.com subscription but am vaguely terrified by the amount of records on offer.

I've also got a PhD in early 20th Irish history, so might be able to answer any questions about the wider Irish context.

happychappy Mon 02-Dec-13 01:55:52

My family are Irish, it's been an interesting trip so far.

AnythingNotEverything Mon 02-Dec-13 02:57:17

I have family ancestry in Galway and Laois but was under the impression there were very few records, particularly in Galway. Is that true?

happychappy Mon 02-Dec-13 12:50:38

There are just generally less records available and harder and more costly to access

Moln Wed 05-Feb-14 19:14:28

I'm a bit late replying to this but I came in to here to start my own post and saw this!!

A lot of the records were destroyed sadly. Anything prior to 1901 which is a great pity.

One thing to bear in mind is the ages are frequently wrong on the census (especially the 1911 one for the older generation!)

Also there are a good few grave yards that have been recorded online!!! I can find my great grandparents headstone on the internet - and there's a picture!!! I can also find my great great grandfather's and grand uncles from the other branch of a treat and a totally different county

AnAdventureInCakeAndWine Wed 05-Feb-14 19:17:31

I'm completely failing to trace Irish ancestors, if that's any help? grin

Moln Wed 05-Feb-14 19:24:36

It's difficult to start!!! You really do need to know names of siblings and there whereabouts to start off!!!!

If you have a frequently occurring surname it's practically impossible!!!

JennySense Wed 19-Feb-14 22:58:03

I've found this tough. My ancestor family migrated to Lancashire between 1841-1870 to work on the reservoir creation.

They have quite an unusual name but it took until the 1911 census to find out my GG grandmother was born in Newry. Her brother was born in Belfast.

And now I'm stuck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now