Contacting living but v. distant relatives

(8 Posts)
IAmSheWhoMustBeObeyed Sun 17-Mar-13 12:54:18

hi, I have one branch of my tree back to Germany through my 3xgreat grandfather. The name is very rare and therefore anyone of that name will be a connection albeit from over 150 years ago. Is there any point in contacting a German stranger found ont internet. I have a compulsion to do so but not sure what it would achieve. I suppose if someone contacted me I would be interested and share info on ancestors but..........would it be weird?

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

IAmSheWhoMustBeObeyed Sun 17-Mar-13 19:51:05

Nope. So will leave it I guess.

MusicalEndorphins Thu 21-Mar-13 03:25:33

Then again, what have you got to loose?
Here is some advise.
I think a written letter would be better than an e-mail if you have the mailing address. Include a stamped, self addressed envelope. Good luck should you decide to go ahead after all.

MusicalEndorphins Thu 21-Mar-13 03:25:54

*advice

IAmSheWhoMustBeObeyed Thu 21-Mar-13 07:51:21

Great advice there. Thanks.

RockinD Sun 24-Mar-13 11:34:10

SAE won't work if they are in Germany. Can you still buy International Reply Coupons from the Post Office?

Someone contacted me out of the blue about 4 years ago - ended up coming over from Oz and staying with us for a week.

If you don't try, you won't know, and you could get very lucky. No reason why you shouldn't give it a go.

specialsubject Mon 10-Jun-13 19:59:43

I've done this several times. It has resulted in meeting some lovely people. Twice it has resulted in no further contact. I sent both of those one more email, and then left it.

Their desire to be left in peace outweighs my thirst for knowledge.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now