struggling with Jones

(3 Posts)
MusicalEndorphins Sun 17-Mar-13 07:09:47

www.familytreedna.com/genetic-genealogy-tutorials.aspx
We used this company, after I asked around on a few genealogy news lists of which company to go for. My brother submitted the DNA, we have only done the test for the male side so far, but have hundreds of matches, and have corresponded with some of them. I can't wait to upgrade to test our maternal, side as well.

MusicalEndorphins Sun 17-Mar-13 07:06:22

It sounds like it is likely to be a match.
You could do a DNA test. Is this your maternal or paternal side?

Anomaly Sat 16-Mar-13 23:06:59

My Great Grandad was Frederick David Jones born c1868 and I think he was born in London. I can find him on the census married in 1901 and 1911. I've a copy of his marriage certificate which gives me his fathers name as Frederick David Jones and occupation Tailor.

I've bought two birth certificates one for a Frederick David Jones born in 1869 in Hampshire and another for a Frederic David Jones born in 1867 in Shoreditch. The first one is definitely not him, the second still isn't that definitive

It gives his father as Frederick George Jones and his occupation as a Tailor. His mother is given as Jane Jones, late Hull formerly Pringle. I can find them on the 1871 census. The birth certificate gives the impression that his parents are married while its clear from the census that they aren't. The census also names a younger brother Henry W Hull. On the marriage certificate for my Great Grandad a witness is Henry W Jones.

Is this a match?

Is there anything else I can do to confirm it?

If it is a match it's great because I can find both his parents parents but with such a common surname and the missing 1881 and 1891 census I feel its a bit dodgy.

Any help would really be appreciated.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now