Just went and cleared out my nan's house yesterday

(6 Posts)
mixedmamameansbusiness Sun 25-Nov-12 13:22:03

I now have loads of pictures and brith certificates and various very interesting things. So exciting. Now to name and date and place then=m all.

mirry2 Sun 25-Nov-12 16:21:19

How exciting. I love finding out about my family.

Crikeyblimey Sun 25-Nov-12 16:24:21

We are in the process of doing the same with my mum's house. So far, for our archive, we have photos, birth / death certificates and "artefacts" going back about 6 generations. It is fascinating and likely to take us ages to sort.

mirry2 Sun 25-Nov-12 16:32:40

I have found storing them is the main problem and have started scanning them into my computer so that I can put the originals away safely. I plan to put the scanned images into a photobook - but it could take me a long time!

KellyMarieTunstall Sun 25-Nov-12 16:36:03

I love this sort of thing.

I put all of our family artifacts into a loose leaf binder with each item in a separate pocket with a label on the front of each pocket. Makes it so much easier to see where everything is.Plus when other family members want to look they dont have to touch the fragile paper.

Every item was also scanned and saved onto an external hard drive for safety.

Good luck and happy archiving.grin

Crikeyblimey Sun 25-Nov-12 16:40:35

We also found the very old tin trunk that was my great great uncle's. Thus has now been designated "home of the family archive". My sister has volunteered to scan everything scannable and list everything. She'll still be at it next Christmas!

Luckily my mum had written notes in things, so it's helping identify people and stuff.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now