Recommendations for professional genealogy help in NE?

(8 Posts)
Marmiteisyummy Sat 24-Nov-12 20:27:01

My DH has been using Ancestry for several months and really done well, but he's hit the point of needing some professional assistance and I've said I'll pay for that as a Christmas present. Does seem to be a bit of a minefield out there though and just wondered if anyone could recommend a national company or someone in the northeast?
Thanks!

ivykaty44 Sun 25-Nov-12 22:04:04

where abouts in the NE?

Marmiteisyummy Mon 26-Nov-12 06:43:28

Newcastle. Thanks for replying!

ivykaty44 Mon 26-Nov-12 12:29:13

www.twmuseums.org.uk/tyne-and-wear-archives/services/research-service.html

would ask for one hour first off, at 30 which is the going rate for most prof archive research. see what they come up with and take it from there

Marmiteisyummy Mon 26-Nov-12 18:22:16

Thank you, but unfortunately they only seem to cover enquires relating to Newcastle and surrounds and the bit we're stuck on relates to someone moving to the south coast. Will keep looking. Thanks again for taking the time to respond.

ivykaty44 Mon 26-Nov-12 21:01:45

I would then contact the archive there and ask if they know of someone or another office that would cover this area that you require.

Alternatively go and post your query on rootschat and see if the members there can help you with the bit you are stuck on - it is a message board much like here but just for family history stuff and the people are very helpful.

Someone did a lookup for me in Dover 200 miles away as they had the microfich at home - so within 12 hours I had the answer to my question grin hey have better smilies to...

DragonDrawers Thu 29-Nov-12 13:19:17

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Marmiteisyummy Thu 29-Nov-12 16:51:53

Thanks dragon. Trouble is there's a family story of an ancestor, about 1800, changing name as he deserted from navy to army. What DH has found so far seems to agree with this, but he needs help with confirming which will probably need some guidance. Will look at the ancestry forums. Thanks again.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now