Will I be able to find out my grandfather's war record?

(4 Posts)
headfairy Mon 06-Feb-12 17:45:53

My grandfather was born in Argentina of French descendents... when the Spanish civil war broke out he fought for the International Brigades against the fascists. When the war ended in '39 he went back to Argentina and then came back to the UK in 1940 or '41 (we're not quite sure) and then due to his French background joined the Free French, flying for the RAF under the flag of the Royal Canadian Airforce.

It's all a bit convoluted so I'm a bit clueless to where I should start. Can I get records sent to me or access them online or will I have to go to the National Archives?

Any help would be gratefully received.

EdithWeston Tue 07-Feb-12 13:18:25

It probably is one for the National Archives: try starting here, or you could also try via the RAF museum, who may well know where the relevant records are kept.

DoctorGilbertson Wed 05-Dec-12 21:39:37

Or maybe try some Anglo-Argentine community groups http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_Argentine ?

kuros Wed 05-Dec-12 21:55:29

See if he features on the "UK Incoming Passenger Lists, 1878-1960" dataset on www.ancestry.co.uk - you can get free access to any documents you find if you log on at your local library.

For general info on your grandfather try www.familysearch.org - see the Argentina collections - free of charge and many original documents available.

I´d like to know more (ie name! etc) to be able to give more ideas!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now