What's the etiquette when someone on GenesReunited asks for access to your family tree?

(9 Posts)
SingleMan25b Tue 18-Oct-11 00:29:55

Normally, before letting them view my tree, I ask which person in my tree there interested in and how they think there related.

Then I judge what to do by their reply.

said Wed 21-Sep-11 21:11:19

No, it doesn't feel right to just share your whole tree to a stranger, to me I'll just send a message, if I can be bothered.

ForYourDreamsAreChina Wed 21-Sep-11 07:50:47

I think the point that you have your tree on GR sort of precludes any preciousness about privacy.

What exactly are they going to discover? That I had 485 great-rellies all called Enoch who are all dead, because you put living relatives down as "living relative" (ie anonymous) don't you?

HappyAsASandboy Wed 21-Sep-11 07:45:06

I would definitely keep using the message facility to work out whether they are actually talking about the same person.

If they are the same person, I think I'd make another copy of my tree (if there's no copy facility, save as an external file, open a new account and import the tree) and delete all living people and people who are not related to the enquirer.

But that's just what I would do. It is difficult to know what to do with other people's information.

exoticfruits Wed 21-Sep-11 07:29:02

Definitely get more information from them first.

said Tue 20-Sep-11 23:45:52

Thanks schroeder and exoticfruits. It's re a distant relative who I have very vague info on so might not even be same person. I would be intrigued if thought it was more certain. Think I may just email back that the details she might need (not many of them and everyone long dead)

exoticfruits Tue 20-Sep-11 22:04:08

Get them to give you access to theirs first.

schroeder Tue 20-Sep-11 21:51:13

Someone approached me; said he knew my Auntie and so on. I just told him to contact her then.

I suppose I'm suspicious and grouchy, but my 1st reaction to requests for personal info on the internet is NO.

said Tue 20-Sep-11 19:12:31

I don't mind in principle but then realised it gives access to all of the other half of my family. Can you hide parts without deleting?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now