Shift work +childcare- how??

(3 Posts)
Jessicas429 Thu 03-Mar-16 09:48:10

I've just been offered a new role with a police force (not as a police officer). However, it will mean I need to work shifts for the first year at least. This would be 2 days, 2 nights then 4 days off.
I have a 3.5 year old and 1.5 year old.
I've thought and thought about different childcare options but I'm really confused. Are there childminders happy to work flexible hours/days?
Interested to hear other people's experiences who do shift work and any solutions you've come up with.
My husband is self employed and works funny hours so can't help, neither can parents.
Any ideas/experiences much appreciated! X

Whatthefreakinwhatnow Thu 03-Mar-16 09:51:14

There are definitely CM's who accommodate shifts and overnights, I'd contact all the local ones in your area,outline your shift pattern and see what they come up with.

I work in the prison service and my shift working colleagues use CMS

Von1982 Mon 16-May-16 13:25:27

I am a Nurse and work two 12hr shifts a week (days and nights) I have two daughters 5&3. Since I had my second daughter, childcare has been a constant struggle. They both went to a private nursery one day a week, so at least one day was covered and I tried to work more weekends but my boss isn't very accommodating and always gives me shifts that don't suit. It has been a constant battle. For two and a half yrs I have been doing nightshift at least once a week and not sleeping afterwards. It is now making me ill. You have to have set days with nurserys and they are only open to 6pm. It is so hard. A nurse I work with has a nanny who was recommended to her and she watches her wee boy for the full 12hrs that she's working. Hope you sort something out. My youngest is now in private nursery two full days (still not getting to work those days though) I just keep telling myself once the youngest is at school it will be a bit easier.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now