Wanting to start a new career, some advice on being a teaching assistant

(4 Posts)

Hi

I'm hoping to start a course to become a teaching assistant in a primary school (5-11)
So first question is does anyone have any advice on which home learning course is good?
I'm at present looking at the following two courses:-
childcarecollege
or openstudycollege

So any advice for me?

TIA

Grockle Thu 06-Mar-14 20:47:37

If you haven't already, try to do some volunteering in a primary school.

Hi

Thank you. I've been volunteering for about 5 years now and just wanted to get a qualification for helping out. I've always done between 2-4 hours each week.

bearleftmonkeyright Fri 07-Mar-14 21:22:59

Hello! I am currently studying Cache Level three, Supporting Teaching and Learning in Schools. My course expects you to do at least a full day in a school as part of the course, where we are observed in class by thecollege supporting children in the setting. Look at your local college to see what options are available to you. I wouldn't recommend distance learning. Funding is available via 24+ Loans Scheme via the Student Loans Company. Good luck OP, I am really enjoying my course and now feel confident to start applying for jobs. Sounds like you have loads of experience volunteering already. But make sure when you start your course that your time is planned into the lesson and that you know what is expected of you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now