Parental leave for the partner in a lesbian couple who hasn't given birth - anyone had any experience?

(10 Posts)
carriemumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 22-Aug-13 14:49:01

We were chatting to one of our lovely Family friendly members' HR folks yesterday and she was wondering if anyone on MN had had any experience of being offered parental leave when their partner had a baby and how it had been handled. She had been asked about it and just wondered if anyone had had experiences - good or bad - so she could learn from them.

Thanks

Goalie Thu 22-Aug-13 22:00:23

I'm in a civil partnership and took full paternity leave for both my boys. It was handled in the same way as a 'father' - fill out the forms, advise on expected due dates etc.

I believe it is now 'law' that as long as you are living together as an enduring family relationship, non civil partners are also entitled to take full paternity.

AppleLady Thu 22-Aug-13 22:49:36

Same as above. My wife got full paternity leave.

emilidoodle Thu 22-Aug-13 23:13:30

I got two weeks standard paternity leave without a problem...I don't even remember having to ask. (Government sector employed)

KashKari Sun 25-Aug-13 13:44:39

We had a woman at work who took both maternity leave and paternity leave. Once for the birth of her daughter, the other for the birth of her partners daughter. I'm not sure its any different to heterosexual couples.

Sky2012 Fri 13-Sep-13 13:40:53

I also took two weeks 'paternity leave' leave last Year. On reflection I would have probably used my annual leave as Statutory Paternity pay is not a lot!!! The gov website has lots of info

carriemumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 16-Sep-13 14:49:10

Thanks all for feedback - I'll pass it on!

Catsize Thu 19-Sep-13 03:30:03

My partner had paternity leave after I gave birth, and then 'additional parental leave' (where you split your maternity leave), which applies to heterosexual and same-sex couples alike. I am the main bread inner and self-employed so no decent maternity package. Now she is self-employed too, she qualifies for neither. sad

Catsize Thu 19-Sep-13 03:30:34

Bread Winner! Bread inner sounds tastier though. smile

kandle Mon 30-Sep-13 19:46:46

I work for the local council and got 2 weeks paternity leave on the birth of my daughter (wife gave birth). we also split the maternity leave, she took the first 9 months and I had the last 3.

My Wife is due to give birth to number 2 in about 5 weeks time and we will do the same again. We've had no problems apart from HR not knowing which forms to fill out!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now