Does anyone work in University admissions? Is it a family-friendly job?

(4 Posts)
pickledsiblings Wed 10-Jul-13 17:28:11

Anyone else?

pickledsiblings Wed 10-Jul-13 14:34:30

Thanks Harriet, I'll go and see if I can find the university's policy.

HarrietSchulenberg Wed 10-Jul-13 14:04:22

As with any job, it depends on the company's (University's) Working from Home policy. I don't work in Admissions but I do work at a University in a job that could easily be done from home in part. BUT, we have a policy that allows only senior management to work from home and then only using University equipment and with prior agreement.

I queried it once and was told it was all to do with insurance. If I fall off my chair and break my arm while working at home the University thinks I could be able to sue them hmm].

I suspect it's because we are all about "presenteeism": if you're not SEEN to be at your desk then you cannot be working. Never mind that I have spent countless hours doing absolutely fuck all (due to lack of work not lack of effort on my part) but being paid for it, all's well as long I am seen to have my arse on a chair behind my desk.

pickledsiblings Wed 10-Jul-13 13:55:54

There is a research officer position that sounds interesting (to me, DH thinks it sounds boring) and I was wondering if anyone who does that kind of job could comment on whether or not they are able to work from home some of the time.

Also, do you love it and why? I know there are some people on here who work in admissions, hopefully you'll stumble on this and convince me to go for it. It's full time and I currently work part time.

Thanks!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now