Christmas Presents and In Laws - any advice please?

(8 Posts)
user1471855186 Wed 12-Oct-16 14:44:12

Hi all,

I'm 6 months pregnant and will be spending Christmas 8.5 months pregnant at my mother in laws house with husband, his brother and girlfriend, his sister, and my mum. 7 in total. We are discussing what we do about Christmas presents.

The two options are - Secret Santa, £50 spent, everyone buys one present, everyone receives one present. This is my preferred option.

The option that is coming out as the favoured option is that everyone buys six presents for £20 each. Not least does that mean a ton of Christmas shopping when I can least be bothered to leave the house (I know, I can do it online!) ... I'll have to go with the majority but feel it's unfair on my poor mum to have to spend £120 on presents for people. She is just one extra on the day (and we all contribute to food and drink and she will be to) but for mum it is now SIX presents to buy.

AIBU to feel a bit uncomfortable with this plan?

Any suggestions as to how any of you ladies manage it?

Thanks!

NerrSnerr Wed 12-Oct-16 14:51:38

I would leave inlaws presents to your husband, especially if it is going to cause you stress.

Sierra259 Wed 12-Oct-16 14:56:55

Can you maybe spend £30 on everyone and that be from you, your DH and your mum? Won't your PIL give presents from both of them anyway? And BIL and his girlfriend?

Optimist3 Wed 12-Oct-16 14:57:13

I'd prefer the secret Santa too. A secret Santa with an Amazon wish list.

Just leave your husband to it, your mother can just buy a token gift for everyone and not a full £20 per person. Request in advance that they only get your mother something small as she's on a limited budget and won't be spending much.

user1471855186 Wed 12-Oct-16 14:58:53

Thanks NerrSnerr, I may just step out of it and let him deal with it. There is no reason for me to be involved other than that they've asked my opinion and I've given it!
Not sure where that leaves my mum with being bought presents (she actually couldn't care less about receiving anything and is v low maintenance) and buying presents (she is generous and could even just bring a family present and some chocolate!) - but at least I only have to worry about her and not everyone else if I take your approach.
Thanks! :-)

user1471855186 Wed 12-Oct-16 15:02:19

Sierra259 and Optimist3 thank you! Yes an Amazon Wish List would be ideal :-)
Good ideas - we could all chip in and buy together (husband and my mum) and also that they just get mum a token and her likewise for them.

Glad I asked :-)

leaveittothediva Wed 12-Oct-16 15:08:06

NerrSnerr. You beat me to it, I think that's a great plan. He know them best.

user1471855186 Wed 12-Oct-16 15:39:56

Thanks leaveittothediva - I'll leaveittothehusband!! I'm always one to wade in with my opinion and I think this might be the time to say "oh F it" it really doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now