Facebook is random as fuck?

(46 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

Mintyy Fri 24-Jul-15 22:01:03

ianbu

am I?

MistletoeBUTNOwine Fri 24-Jul-15 22:02:00

Are you very bored ?
What are you referring to in particular?

YouTheCat Fri 24-Jul-15 22:03:02

It's a total bugger when you've been scrolling down for 5 minutes to catch up and then realise the bloody, stupid arsing thing has set itself to 'top sodding stories' again.

GemmaTeller Fri 24-Jul-15 22:05:21

No, its getting on my nerves at the moment.

I have to keep resetting to 'most recent'.

Someone started a conversation in a fb group I'm in and her post didn't show up in general on the fb page for two days smile

scarlets Fri 24-Jul-15 22:05:56

Bloody advertisements! They drive me crazy. Weird newsfeed too - I missed an old schoolfriend's pregnancy announcement. i know these are first world gripes though.

FarFromAnyRoad Fri 24-Jul-15 22:07:07

I hate FB at the moment too. I reserve special contempt and loathing for this new thing where every single thing liked, looked at or posted on by a friend has to be shown to me as if I give a shiny shit.
I so wish there was an alternative.

Mintyy Fri 24-Jul-15 22:17:58

Mistletoe - what am I referring to in particular?

Well, 1. On my news feed today I've had a notification that a friend of mine liked a mutual friend's photo from 10 days ago. I didn't "like" the original photo btw.

No 2. A friend of a friend (so very definitely NOT my friend, I have no idea who this person is) thanking everyone for her HB wishes. I have seen this because my F commented on her F's timeline.

BUT if it were the case that you could see everything on your newsfeed that a fof liked or commented on, then you would see hundreds or thousands of status per day? I only have a tiny amount of friends (70 something) but if I could see ALL that they all liked or commented on then I would be swamped surely?

So why do we see some and not all the others?

Its fucking RANDOM I tell you.

milliemanzi Fri 24-Jul-15 22:21:21

I remember when this whole seeing non-friends photos/statuses that your fiends had liked in your newsfeed started and it really freaked me out, now it's just the norm, scary how quickly I acclimatised, it's INCREDIBLY annoying though.

YouTheCat Fri 24-Jul-15 22:21:30

You see some things from fofs because they have got crap security settings.

honeysucklejasmine Fri 24-Jul-15 22:21:33

Anyone use the app and know how to set it to most recent? Mine seems to be mostly "crap someone liked three weeks ago". I'm on Android Lollipop, if it matters

emwithme Fri 24-Jul-15 22:30:55

All I want from FB is what my friends (or those pages I've liked) have posted. In chronological order. Without any hiding of messages or adverts sponsored posts or shit like that.

Just baby pics and stealth boasts and cats, all in a row row row.

MsAdorabelleDearheartVonLipwig Fri 24-Jul-15 22:42:08

I reserve special contempt and loathing for this new thing where every single thing liked, looked at or posted on by a friend has to be shown to me as if I give a shiny shit.

Oh good god, soooo this. hmm

velouria Fri 24-Jul-15 22:45:05

Ahh is the having things people have liked show up in your news feedback new thing? Thought it was, is very annoying

cardibach Fri 24-Jul-15 22:49:51

honeysuckle - click on 'more' at bottom right and there's an option on that page for most recent.

FarFromAnyRoad Fri 24-Jul-15 22:52:32

It's awful isn't it Ms - I don't even know what the point is. The absolute worst thing about Facebook is the certain knowledge that they hold their users in absolute contempt. That I really hate.

Elledouble Fri 24-Jul-15 22:57:08

I'd noticed I'd been getting a lot more stuff people I know have liked or conversations they're having with people I don't know. Does not make me want to use FB.

honeysucklejasmine Fri 24-Jul-15 23:02:44

Cardi I'm sorry, I don't get it. I don't have any buttons at the bottom. I tried to look through the settings menu and didn't see anything more there either.

Just going to check it doesn't need updating. Maybe it'll pop up. smile

Samcro Fri 24-Jul-15 23:04:00

did you know
mn has a fb topic?

MsAdorabelleDearheartVonLipwig Fri 24-Jul-15 23:04:10

You spend more time flicking past the random crap liked by your friends than you do reading the stuff you're actually interested in.

honeysucklejasmine Fri 24-Jul-15 23:05:24

Nope, all up to date. sad

Thank you for your help though. smile

Gymbob Fri 24-Jul-15 23:10:54

I don't get when someone posts their grandma has died and people 'like' it. I hate Facebook.

I'm just a silhouette on it, but still people find me and send friend requests. I accept out of politeness, but have never posted anything. I don't want anyone knowing my business.

EthelDurant123 Fri 24-Jul-15 23:21:39

It's fudging terrible and no longer cool. The kids have moved to pastures new. I now use it for the messaging with colleagues (Can you swap a shift?) or to keep in touch with the more mature members of the family (aunts, uncles, older cousins my mother etc). Sometimes if an aunt hasn't posted for a while she is quietly dropped from my friends list sad. The ads get on my tits, the constant scrolling for something interesting to read does my head in, and all those fudging game requests angry. It's a necessary evil.

EthelDurant123 Fri 24-Jul-15 23:24:36

I asked Mum to use Twitter. I don't understand Twitter she replies.

Exactly.

BathtimeFunkster Fri 24-Jul-15 23:27:25

It's anything but random.

But the latest feed algorithm is very clunky.

Kitsandkids Fri 24-Jul-15 23:28:11

What annoys me is when I look through the most recent posts on my news feed and there's ones telling me about stuff going on that has already happened. So there's a post, for example, telling me about a fun day in the local park , which my kids would have loved, and FB says it was posted 12 hours ago, but it's only just shown up on my feed and so we missed it! What's that all about?!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now