photo sharing

(27 Posts)
IneedAyoniNickname Wed 15-May-13 20:11:25

I've got my settings on fb set to 'friends only'
My ex mil and a friend of mine keep sharing ky photos and videos. Can I change the settings anywhere so they can't do this? Or do my friends only settings mean they won't actually show up? I shared a friends status, and it didn't show up to my friends as he was set to friends only.

Hope that makes sense! I'm rubbish at this fb malarkey!

IneedAyoniNickname Wed 15-May-13 20:11:59

my photos not ky!

Dorange Wed 15-May-13 20:15:03

I want to know the same.

LeoTheLateBloomer Wed 15-May-13 20:15:30

Either tell them not to or adjust your settings so that the people sharing can't see the photos you're posting.

AvrilPoisson Wed 15-May-13 20:17:24

Defriend her!

IneedAyoniNickname Wed 15-May-13 20:48:15

Shame theres no option to make it so people can't share! Might hide future updates from her then.

Any ideas on whether people I'm not friends with can see them once they've been shared? Surely my friends only setting should still apply?

Dorange Sat 18-May-13 21:14:17

I have just sent a FB message to my MIL regarding this issue.
She shares/post photos of DD and I don't say nothing, she posted photos of me in the past when I didn't have FB and I said nothing because I didn't know since I didn't have a account.
I have my FB account only few months old, highest privacy settings and very few friends...just opened my FB today to find she shared one of my photos with the whole wide FB world as she has no one privacy setting what so ever
Grrrrrr
I was fuming and sent her a message straight away asking her to delete and to never do it again...
I can't understand how people can have their FB so open and why they share other people's photos either....
Weirdos

Dorange Sat 18-May-13 21:16:05

oh
and I don't know about your second question but I think once they share it, their friends can see it too, otherwise what would be the point?
and remember they can easily copy any photo to their computer anyway...
scary

Lioninthesun Sat 18-May-13 21:27:34

There is a way as a friend of mine has her albums so you can't even comment on them...I don't know how though, sorry!

Dorange Sat 18-May-13 22:19:17

Oh lioninthesun, can you not ask your friend and tell us please?

lborolass Sat 18-May-13 22:23:02

When you originally post the photos you can set who can see them so could you exclude your ex MIL from seeing them in the first place?

If you set her as just an acquaintance you can exclude her from seeing the photos as well

Dorange Sat 18-May-13 23:15:48

not ex MIL here, current MIL
I don't mind the very few people in my list seeing my photos
I don't want them to share it on their timeline to her friends and the whole wide world since they have no privacy settings

Lioninthesun Sun 19-May-13 00:52:14

Sorry, only just seen your message!
Just had a look at my albums on fb and if you go to Edit you can click Customise to edit who sees them. I assume my friend also did something in here to stop people commenting, but it may be under your account tab - when you set up who sees (mine is Friends, for eg), you can also put friends of friends and click a button about people sharing/commenting, I think?

Lioninthesun Sun 19-May-13 00:52:54

Go to Edit in the actual album I meant, just to clarify.

Tee2072 Sun 19-May-13 08:16:25

You can edit who sees them, but if someone can see them, they can share them. That's sort of the point of FB, really.

So probably best not to let her see them if you don't want them to be shared.

And, to answer the 'weirdo' bit...I find people who use FB without actually learning how it works to be the weirdos, not the ones who use it as it is intended, which is as a sharing site. If you don't want to share, don't use FB.

IneedAyoniNickname Sun 19-May-13 18:38:33

Thanks. I don't actually have a problem with her sharing them per say, its kinda hard to explain though. It bothers me but I can't explain why. Maybe because I
assume she shares them so her son (my ex) can see the., but wouldnt share his photos of the dc with me. Actually if he wasn't so childish that he'd blocked me he'd be able to see them anyway.

tee is that really why facebook was set up? I thought the ability to share other people's stuff was fairly new?

Lioninthesun Sun 19-May-13 21:32:25

Ah yes, I can see why you would be annoyed - does he not see your DC much and rely on FB to feel he is actually 'keeping in touch'? I think that would annoy me too...
Could you post something about not sharing your pictures as you don't know other people's friends and who in turn could see them? Without being specific? Surely she would understand that you don't need all of her friends seeing your DC who in turn could then share, etc etc?

IneedAyoniNickname Sun 19-May-13 21:41:40

He sees them every week. Mind you, ex mil is just weird lol!

I was thinking I might try a general 'please don't share my photos l, unless your in them' kinda thing.

Dorange Mon 20-May-13 13:33:20

oh tee are you calling me a weirdo?
I don't think I am one.
By the way I took part jn this thread to find out if there was a new FB feature I'm not aware of and there isn't, so I learnt nothing new. I know perfectly how FB works atm.
I really don't think it is weird for you to want ppl on your list just to see but not share your pictures with their friends or the whole FB population if they have open settings.
But you are right, maybe I'm not your average FB sharer so shouldn't be there.

It's a shame that the majority of family and all my old friends don't even use email anymore, it's all through FB now...so weirdo me is trying to make easier keeping in contact......

Tee2072 Mon 20-May-13 13:57:48

And I don't think it's weird to share your pictures, Dorange, even with strangers.

So how about we agree weirdo is an insulting term and you apologize for using it first?

Ineed actually it was set up for a University to use, but sharing has always been a part of it. They've just made it easier lately.

Dorange Mon 20-May-13 15:17:31

Whatever

Tee2072 Mon 20-May-13 15:18:50

Brilliant argument! I am dazzled by your wit and wisdom.

lborolass Mon 20-May-13 15:19:00

I'm not a FB expert but I remember a previous thread where there was an expert posting who said that whilst your friends can share your photos the share will only go as far as mutual friends as long as you set the original limit to "friends only"

I don't know if this is still the case but it seemed to be generally accepted at that time.

Ineed - are the photos tagged? I've noticed recently that tagging seems to "spread" photos further than it used to.

Dorange Mon 20-May-13 15:22:36

I don't have the energy to argue with someone who already think they are right and besides I have better things to do.

Dorange Mon 20-May-13 15:25:27

lborolass that is what I call a useful non judgemental post.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now