My BOSS has sent a friend request on FB. WWYD?

(41 Posts)
Spidermama Fri 12-Apr-13 15:05:49

She's my editor. I don't want to be FB friends with her because I'll lack the <relavitve> freedom I feel when posting at the moment.
Nor do I want to snub her and I do notice three of my other colleagues are her FB friends.
Isn't it a bit weird to be FB friends with your boss?

Coconutty Fri 12-Apr-13 15:06:28

Ignore it. Play dumb.

OrangeFootedScrubfowl Fri 12-Apr-13 15:07:01

I only friend work people when I leave. It's a sensible rule!

Beechview Fri 12-Apr-13 15:07:23

I would ignore then just make out that you're not really a fb user if she brings it up - its what I do.

CajaDeLaMemoria Fri 12-Apr-13 15:07:40

Ignore. She'll never know.

If she ever asks, say that you don't use FB often/didn't get the request. FB is full of glitches. She's unlikely to ever mention it, though.

Adding your boss on FB is just asking for trouble.

Pancakeflipper Fri 12-Apr-13 15:07:49

No. Not a good idea.

Or set up an account just for work colleagues and have posts like "I hate weekends, it means I am not with amazing boss."

Spidermama Fri 12-Apr-13 15:15:29

Just what I wanted to hear. Thanks I will ignore and play dumb.

LoopaDaLoopa Fri 12-Apr-13 15:42:24

Are you friends with other colleagues?

Trills Fri 12-Apr-13 15:43:20

"I hate weekends, it means I am not with amazing boss."

Snigger

Def ignore.

WTAF?? ?

Naughty boss.

Greydog Fri 12-Apr-13 15:53:23

ignore it. I'd never have any FB friends from work, unless you're sure that these people are utterly trustworthy. I've seen too many people caught out by FB "Friends" who have reported so called negative comments about their work place.

usualsuspect Fri 12-Apr-13 15:55:16

You could add her and restrict what she sees. Or just ignore.

Just ignore it. I think it's perfectly acceptable to do this with work colleague FB requests. I only have a couple of work friends on FB and they're the ones I would go drinking with anyway, so they already know the worst of me.

Tortington Fri 12-Apr-13 16:02:17

you set up a seperate online identity like me spidermama.

or just tell her you prefer to keep professional and personal seperate - that's what i say.

What an odd thing to do, I would never be fb friends with people I manage.

MewlingQuim Fri 12-Apr-13 16:13:17

I am friends with my boss on fb.

I like her though and I wouldn't complain about work on fb anyway, I only post about once every 6 months and its usually about my DD or my DDog.

needs to get a life

add her as restricted

MewlingQuim Fri 12-Apr-13 16:18:04

I'd rather be friends with my boss than my brother. He keeps sending me friend requests and messages, I tell him I don't have a fb account and it must be someone with the same name as me. It's not a common name so its obvious that I'm lying but I don't care, he is a twat. grin

EuroShaggleton Fri 12-Apr-13 16:19:12

I won't add anyone from the office. There are a few requests in my inbox. I just leave them there.

k12345678 Fri 12-Apr-13 16:29:13

I would accept them, but put them into my 'restricted' friends group. by putting them into the restricted friend settings they can see virtually no more than non friends, they won't see your wall posts or photos. they'll then just assume you don't use fb much. I do this to clients, or people I barely know who request to fb friend me!

twentythirteen Fri 12-Apr-13 16:34:25

Just say you don't 'friend' colleagues. If you ignore it, as I did, it can keep popping up. They'll wonder, feel rejected, just say it and get it over with, maybe then invite them for a coffee duirng work time if you're worried the rejection feels too harsh.

AssamAndDarjeeling Fri 12-Apr-13 16:37:08

Add her, and then immediately put her on 'limited profile'.

She'll think you just have an exceptionally boring Internet life and be none the wiser!

how do you put in limited?

Withalittlesparkle Sat 13-Apr-13 09:39:16

My husband won't friend his staff on FB he says he knows what they think about work but he'd rather see it written down!!

Stillcluelessat40 Sat 13-Apr-13 10:00:38

Good to hear about the restricted info thing. Not my boss that's my issue, but my mum!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now