At what point is it ok to delete your dead friend?!

(6 Posts)
NulliusInBlurba Tue 27-Nov-12 15:47:36

We have that problem right now with a family member who committed suicide last year. Actually I have no idea how to delete the account, and no other family member is closer than us, so nobody else is going to delete it either. Presumably Facebook would - rightly - demand all sorts of proof of identity before deleting, and we constantly have bigger issues to deal with.

What really upset me was getting a mail from his e-mail account months after his death - presumably somebody had hijacked the account, it was some sort of junk advertising sent out to all the addresses in his address book.

threesocksmorgan Tue 27-Nov-12 15:44:45

I have friend on fb that died, doubt if I will ever delete her though.
could you just hide her?

Khaterine Tue 27-Nov-12 15:42:31

I think it isn’t nice to delete the profile or the number immediately, but after a while it is recommended. First because they will always be in the memory of loved ones and you can have photos with them in your personal archive and secondly because it would be weird that people who do not know them and don’t know the situation could write comments. The loyalty issue is not affected by the fact you keep the telephone number or if you have them as friend on facebook.

McPhee Mon 12-Nov-12 03:21:47

It took me 2 years. Weirdly I used to go back and check his page in case he'd left a message hmm

He had a lot of issues and took his own life

Do what feels right to you. I know my friend would have thought me a bit of a knob for keeping him on my list blush

bananaistheanswer Mon 12-Nov-12 02:45:45

I think it's time but it will be hard no matter when you do it. I had a similar issue with a cousin who died and it felt disloyal to delete her mobile number. It felt too final for me. But I did it as it was painful seeing her name knowing she'd never text or phone again.

TheCatInTheHairnet Mon 12-Nov-12 01:59:14

My very good friend died in very tragic circumstances 4 years ago. Her husband kept the profile, as it was where the vast outpouring of public grief went. He hated it and has now deleted the entire account down to just photos.

I want to delete her off my friends, as it now feels a bit weird, but it also seems a horribly disloyal thing to do.

Ideas?!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now