Has anyone deleted their facebook account permanently and never looked back?

(24 Posts)
lovechoc Wed 26-Sep-12 13:42:20

2I like my private life to be private!"

That's exactly how I feel too, barb. smile

Yes.
Well, I only kept it one day.
I like my private life to be private!

MmBovary Wed 05-Sep-12 21:06:46

Really nice to hear your experiences. I've been thinking about deleting my FB account permanently for a very long time. I find FB intrusive, extremely hypocritical, addictive, a waste of time that only encourages people to behave in a very contrived, false manner. It turns everybody into self absorbed teenagers. To be honest, I can't find one single good thing to say about it, except that I was reunited with only ONE sincere friend from uni whom I lost touch with and we're now in touch by e-mail, anyway. The rest of the "reunions" were all fizz for two seconds and then all gone.

I'll definitely delete my account very soon. After all, whoever is a real friend will survive no matter what.

Sorry for the rant, but I needed to get it out of my chest so badly....

lovechoc Wed 29-Aug-12 12:32:28

Hi there, just returning to say I had my account permanently deleted on 3rd June and have not looked back since. Life much better without it! I do not miss it.

Idlegirl83 Sat 14-Jul-12 21:51:04

I've been Facebook-Sober for 9 days now! The constant need to reactivate my account has passed and I'm not missing it at all, although my text messaging has increased! And my Mumsnet usage! smile

ParkbenchSociety Fri 22-Jun-12 23:55:31

I can't believe how many people include their full names, birthdates, relatives names etc. and then don't bother making the details private. Easy for criminals to get Date of birth and mothers maiden name - two of the most often asked security questions.
Two of my kids have FB accounts but don't use their proper names and not quite their correct birth date, it might be a little paranoid but better safe than sorry smile

ParkbenchSociety Fri 22-Jun-12 23:49:27

Deleted mine a while ago, mostly because of security issues. When I lived abroad it was fab for sharing photos with my family but other than that I don't have much use for it. ...... And it is a bit creepy how it stores all you data....

Guava Fri 22-Jun-12 23:29:55

I've never used it and don't intend to. Getting sucked in to the routine of checking it and feeling you have to comment to all your friends to appear "sociable" all sounds too much!

Gunznroses Tue 05-Jun-12 17:40:54

Lovechoc - ditto!

I deleted mine a couple of weeks ago, I couldn't understand why I was part of something that annoyed me so much.

I was getting particularly fed up with a couple of people on there and the perfect children displays which I dutifully 'liked' all the time.

I do miss it for a support group that is linked to my medical condition but they moaned a lot too.

lovechoc Tue 05-Jun-12 17:30:44

I think it's more meaningful to meet up in person with friends. Facebook has a falseness to it. I'd rather meet up with friends in person, go out for lunch, etc. It means a lot more to me than posting pictures of my life on a social networking site. For all the time I used it, I didn't post much about my personal life. I really feel it's not necessary for everyone to know the mundane stuff!

I don't mind not deleting what little photos I uploaded on the account as I've got them on my PC anyway.

I have found a couple of old friends from the past through FB but to be perfectly honest we have hardly sent emails via FB so I don't really see the meaning of it. It's not like I meet up with these people. It really is all about being 'nosey' (although several people will not admit it!).

I originally joined FB in 2007 but after a few months I deleted the account, I just didn't see how it was improving my life. Then in 2010 a few of my closest friends were having children, getting married, etc, and were asking 'why don't you use FB?' so I caved in and joined again. This time I'm standing firm though. It really sucks up your free time.

Gunznroses Tue 05-Jun-12 17:27:50

Princessdiva - i know what you mean, i found it so intrusive, i know there's all this security etc but to be honest its just so easy to "slip up" and post information for all the wrong people to see. I was shocked at the amount of peronal info i gathered about people whom i hadnt seen in over 20 yrs! Where they worked, Pics of their children, school they attended, recent holidays, where they lived, ( info that i know these people wouldnt voluntarily share wih me in rl) i think people just get soooo carried away, i find it all too much, i don't post on it anymore, it just doesnt feel safe.

Princessdivaaa Tue 05-Jun-12 16:49:14

Oh I've just set up an account and immediately regretted it.. It is so intrusive..
My brother had posted all of my wedding pics on there for the world to see.

I was feeling rather lonely as I live abroad and wanted to see what my old friends were getting upto.. I never post / comment..

I think I'm billy no mates in FB terms as "friends" have hundreds of friends.. I have 25!! And some of those I've not spoken to for 20 odd years..

Maybe I will delete..

maples Tue 05-Jun-12 16:40:53

Maybe deleting will become the new cool grin

alemci Tue 05-Jun-12 16:38:27

I'm tempted. I never post anything either. I have found old friends on there though which is useful.

lovechoc Tue 05-Jun-12 16:35:36

maples good for you and long may it stay that way. seems so many of us (myself included!!) have been sucked in by it, and I am now regretting it terribly.

Friends Reunited was a fad, I've not checked that in years!!

Gunznroses Tue 05-Jun-12 16:35:36

I did! I went on it to try and find some old friends, i found them, we exchanged numbers and emails and i lost interest in the rest. One "friend" constantly updated everyone on how brilliant her 5 yr old was, lots of little quips etc t was tiring, i didnt enjoy shring peronal details with "friends" in rl some friends i like to share certain detail with and some i dont.

In the end i just deleted it......but i did look back wink just to nose around, i never post anything on it though, its almost redundant.

YouGoonie Tue 05-Jun-12 16:34:44

My account was permanently deleted yesterday and I haven't missed facebook for the last 14 days and I was on it constantly
Friends do tell me what has been put on there but I'm not particularly interested.
I think delete because you still have 14 days to change your mind. Just make sure you take any pictures that you want to keep.

maples Tue 05-Jun-12 16:33:13

I've never had one - I'm still hoping it's a fad like friends reunited was.

lovechoc Tue 05-Jun-12 16:32:58

The only concern I have is where does all the info go after your account is deleted, and is it really deleted?? I'm going to search Google to find out a bit more....

Lovefruitsandvegs Tue 05-Jun-12 16:30:02

I might delete it too. I do not really enjoy it. FB keeps many people together but some of myfriends discuss things which distract me. I think time goes by so fast that wasting time without bringing any benefit to your family is almost like a crime. I have always wanted to do something creative but no time due to spending my free time on Internet.

lovechoc Tue 05-Jun-12 11:37:51

Thanks for responding smile I have been thinking about it for about a month now and did it yesterday at last and have no regrets. I haven't even attempted to log in all yesterday and today. It takes 14 days before your account goes forever which is good news.

I have an email account if anyone wants to get in touch, or telephone, or text messages (I hardly text either!). I think I'm going to enjoy my life more by not having FB in my life, IYKWIM. Cannot believe I got sucked in by it all!

I have a couple of friends who have never set up a FB account and have no intentions to, I see them as very wise (none of their details are floating around out there in cyberspace for all and sundry).

I don't want to live my life through FB (wasn't really good at it as I hardly posted 'status updates'). It just isn't for me!

Lovefruitsandvegs Tue 05-Jun-12 10:25:55

I have just posted a similar question. I feel like deleting it but not sure yet. I do have emails of people on my Facebook account but FB just distructs me and I do not like it.

lovechoc Mon 04-Jun-12 18:53:25

Joined in 2010 and surprised I have lasted this long! anyone else glad to have deleted their account?

I just realised last week what a time I was wasting each day using FB and have decided to do other stuff like (more) reading instead.

Wonder how we all did before FB!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now