Gymnastics - Move up a level or stay with friends?

(18 Posts)
stickygotstuck Wed 16-Nov-16 12:18:45

DD does recreational gymnastics, 2 hours a week in 2 different clubs. She has only been going to lessons for 6 months (just a few weeks in club no. 2).

Her coach from the newer club us says that she is progressing quickly and should move up a level (she just moved up to the level above in her original club too).

When I told DD she was pleased with herself that she is doing well, but she said that she wants to stay with her friends in club number 2.

What would you do? Move her up, or keep her where she is?

If it makes a difference, she already knew a friend from outside gym, and the other girls are school friends of this friend.

dodobookends Wed 16-Nov-16 12:24:40

How old is she?

stickygotstuck Wed 16-Nov-16 12:25:36

She is almost 8

mouldycheesefan Wed 16-Nov-16 12:37:08

Very surprised they let you go to two different clubs.

stickygotstuck Wed 16-Nov-16 12:53:22

Is it really, mouldy?

DD is very keen and I asked if she could do an extra hour (same level) in the original club, but it was full. So we were luckyh to find one that is more local to us, I explained the situation and the coach said that she didn't need to pay the BG subscription twice, but there were no issues.

I guess eventually we'll need to pick one, which is why I was pleased that she is also doing well in the more convenient, 2nd club.

ReallyTired Wed 16-Nov-16 14:12:11

I don't think club's mind if recreational children attend two clubs. I think you should move her up. She will make friends in the new group quick enough.

TreehouseTales Wed 16-Nov-16 14:17:19

ONce she's not rec you wont be allowed to attend a different club. You also tend to sign to say you will attend all training (so miss parties/school discos etc). It's a big deal.

Do they mean moving from beginners to intermediates in a recreational class? Or is it age based - up to the next age? If she's enjoying it and wants to stay with friends I'd do that - she could move up later?

stickygotstuck Wed 16-Nov-16 14:24:52

Thanks, ReallyTired, that was my initial thought.

Treehouse, yes, they mean moving to an intermediate class within rec. It is age-based, so she'll be with slightly older girls and some younger but slightly more able ones.

Do they have to stop being recreational? How does that happen? I am not sure I want to get into a life of gym for breakfast, lunch and dinner! Not sure DD would either.

Thanks both. Still torn! I said I'd reply within the next couple of days. I wonder if she can go up for a while, have a go, then move down again if she is not settling?

TreehouseTales Wed 16-Nov-16 14:30:29

I'd say if she's started at 8 it's highly unlikely she'd stop being rec - the squads here pretty much "harvested" from the 3-4-5 age groups and trained them and kept those that didn't drop out!

It depends why she's doing it. If she loves it and wants to go up and learn more then do that. If she's enjoying the class, seeing friends and getting exercise I'd probably leave it at that personally, and she could go up later.

My duaghter used to be development squad, then rec but stopped enjoying it but probably would if she was with friends. My perspectives changed! Some things she does as she wants to develop and progress the fastest and some things it's fun to enjoy with friends.

ReallyTired Wed 16-Nov-16 14:37:38

The majority of children who do gym are never serious gymnasts. Possibly some secondary school aged children do gymnastics grades. Often children branch out sideways into related disciplines like trampolining, dance, synchro swimming, diving.

My daughter is in an intermediate gymnastics group. She is happy with that level of gymnastics. She does more interesting stuff than the children in the novice class. She would not be happy in a squad as her sense of safety is far too strong to do scary gymnastics.

stickygotstuck Wed 16-Nov-16 15:10:18

Thanks again both.

Treehouse, she does enjoy the learning and trying new stuff. Myself, I like that it keeps her fit but also the sense of achievement it gives her. (DD can have quite a negative view of her abilities, which is worrying as she is generally quite able, and that's one of the main reasons to take her to gym. She simply lacked the confidence when she was younger, and then it took us a year to find a space in a class by the way).

ReallyTired, I think my DD sounds like yours. She did say she was getting a bit bored in the lower level in her original class, so it's good that she's moved up. But she is quite cautious by nature.

The friend being in her newer class was accidental. If she hadn't happened to be there, DD would be more than happy to move up.

TreehouseTales Wed 16-Nov-16 16:33:20

They certainly do more interesting stuff in intermediate but it's not worth putting her up if she doesn't want to!

CreamCrackerundertheSettee Wed 16-Nov-16 16:42:06

The recreational classes my dds go to do grades. My dds are only 5 and 7.

My older dd was given a higher group when they changed the groups around in the summer and I asked for her to stay with her friends in the lower group. She isn't squad material, she just enjoys it so I don't see the issue with her staying where she is. Luckily the coaches agreed.

stickygotstuck Wed 16-Nov-16 17:41:45

Thanks Treehouse and CreamCracker.

I may have a quick chat with the coach, explain that DD is happy with her group and ask whether she really thinks DD could be squad material or anything like that. The disruption would not be worth it if not.

Come to think of it, I am not sure whether the club have an actual squad or not. Time to find out...

ReallyTired Thu 17-Nov-16 02:54:52

You might find that the friends move up together.

stickygotstuck Thu 17-Nov-16 11:35:09

That is a good point, ReallyTired.

Even so, DD says she'd rather stay in her current class purely because of her friends. It's shame she won't get to do more interesting stuff, but it's also important that she is happy. She seems to really like these girls (I only know the original friend).

I've emailed the coach asking where she sees DD heading and, unless we are talking about something really spectacular (highly unlikely!) I think she'll stay where she is.

finova Sat 26-Nov-16 08:28:32

Just a thought....her friends may move up, would they decline the chance too?

lola111 Sat 26-Nov-16 18:34:41

I'd say if she's started at 8 it's highly unlikely she'd stop being rec - the squads here pretty much "harvested" from the 3-4-5 age groups and trained them and kept those that didn't drop out!

Absolutely not true of most clubs! I don't think Beth Tweddle started til she was 8 and we have a girl on regional grades who didn't start until she was 12. They can't even compete ti the year they turn 8 and a motivated girl especially with the right physical attributes can catch up in a few months easily (level 3 artistic coach)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now