Thinking of starting new pre-school saturday class.... opinions please :)

(5 Posts)
west173 Sun 30-Oct-16 18:02:44

Hi,
I am a qualified teacher working within the EYFS and am considering starting my own learning based pre-school group.
I would initially aim to run the group for 35 minute sessions on a Saturday morning offering a 2-3 year old class and a 3-4 year old class.

I live in a commuter town and as a working parent myself, I have noticed the lack of local classes and groups running during the weekend.

The sessions would run with the same structure every week -
1- intro song and dance.
2 - activity 1
3 - activity 2
4 - story and close.

My activities would be planned to match the Development Matters guidance and for each activity parents would receive an outline of what that activity was designed to do for their childs development and why.

e.g. Decorating an animal mask - developing early mark making and pencil grip. Encouraging creative thinking and using colours for particular purposes.

The idea is that the classes would allow the parents to get involved in their childs learning and development.

I'm looking for advice as to whether or not you feel this would take off?
I cant find anything like it so am unsure as to why it has not been done before - am I missing something?

Many thanks,
Christina

BackforGood Sun 30-Oct-16 20:41:02

Well, I can't speak for others in your town, but it wouldn't have interested me when mine were little.
If there is a SAHP (or one working PT), then there's the chance to do all this at Stay and Plays, Playgroups, Libraries, etc during the week. If both parents work FT, then time is very precious at the weekend, and I'd assume childcare were doing these sorts of things with them during the week.

idontlikealdi Sun 30-Oct-16 20:43:13

I agree - I wouldn't be looking for it at the weekend.

AidingAndAbetting Sun 30-Oct-16 20:53:30

Sorry but I wouldn't be interested for the same reasons outlined above. When I was a SAHP I did those kinds of activities during the week or attended toddler groups that did. When I went back to work, my nursery/childminder did those things with my DC as a matter of course. Weekends were for chilling out and relaxing.

Maryann1975 Sun 06-Nov-16 00:15:33

I'm a childminder and have my own school aged DC. I don't think any of my parents would be interested in this kind of thing. They know their DC are doing this type of thing with me and they are generally busy at the weekends, shopping, visiting family, catching up and just relaxing at home. When mine were little and I only worked part time, I would have done a group like yours during the week on my days off (or while working with my mindees). sorry but I can't see you having a massive group of interested parents.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now