Best free educational apps?

(7 Posts)
Chocwocdoodah Tue 18-Oct-16 13:41:36

Hello. I've got a 2yr (nearly 3 yr old) and 6 yr old. I'd really like some good educational games for them to play on my android phone - especially English and maths based. Any recs, please?

TheFirie Wed 19-Oct-16 04:19:59

The less screen you give your nearly 3y old, the best advantage he will have on the educational front. For your 6y try Dragonbox , fantastic for developing algebra thinking. Sorry, it is not free, but worth it.

Chocwocdoodah Wed 19-Oct-16 10:52:03

Yes, appreciate that lots of screen time isn't great for a 3 yr old but I'm trying to teach him to recognise numbers and letters and not getting anywhere so I thought an interactive game would help.

Thanks for the Dragonbox rec.

MadelineOnCode Mon 24-Oct-16 10:45:29

How about these fun FREE projects for your 6 year old:

scratch.mit.edu/
www.gethopscotch.com/ (you can download this from the App Store)
code.org/learn

These games/projects will help your child to learn the basics of computer coding and create their own games along the way!

For your younger tots you may want to try out an activity/colouring-in-book which engages children with the keywords and concepts of HTML and CSS coding (without the need of a screen). You just need colouring pencils and you are set!

www.amazon.co.uk/Super-Duper-CSS-Coloring-Book/dp/099339812X/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1477299511&sr=1-1

Code clubs and home schools use this technique to add context to lines of code. The first 3 links above are free resources so you can trial if computer coding is a good fit for your 6 year old. Good Luck!

irvineoneohone Mon 24-Oct-16 18:53:41

Ah, this may not be good idea for some, but my ds learned to read by just exposing him to subtitles on tv since he was a baby. (This wasn't intentional.) You see the word all the time while listening to it. No apps needed.
For numbers, it's actually everywhere you go. House numbers, number plates, counting while going up stairs, etc.

attheendoftheday Mon 24-Oct-16 21:28:14

For the 3yo the alphablocks game on the cbeebies app is good.

For the 6yo dragon box is an algebra game and lightbot is a programming game, both are excellent.

iPost Mon 24-Oct-16 21:34:49

Tiny tap

You can download games, but it's more fun to use it to make your own and show them how to do it (with your help). Then they can star (image/video) in their own learning creations. grin

The range of activities means it'll grow with them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now