Oboists being made to play Cor

(5 Posts)
pugsandseals Sun 18-Sep-16 15:37:52

DD is working towards grade 8 oboe & before this week has only once been asked to play Cor & she refused. Is she perfectly right to continue to stand her ground & refuse? School tend to push it on her when they need a player without warning & make her use whichever dodgy 2nd hand reed is in the case. It upsets her (if she knew beforehand she would at least make sure she has her own reed) & me to be honest! Any advice? TIA x

howabout Sun 18-Sep-16 18:56:23

DD2 was disappointed as the orchestra cor was in the repair shop so she didn't get to play it last year - so she would say she was missing out by not taking the opportunity offered! If germs / quality are a concern with reeds would she consider keeping a cor reed in her reed box just in case?

Balletgirlmum Mon 19-Sep-16 22:56:24

If she wants to play in an orchestra be it school or youth then surely as an oboe plate vague should be prepared to play cor in the same way as a flautist is expected to play piccolo.

She is limiting herself by refusing.

colleysmill Sun 25-Sep-16 09:10:58

I'm always in awe of some the amateur and professional musicians I've played who can switch between instruments with ease. I wouldn't underestimate how useful versality can be. I certainly wish I'd taken up opportunities when I was younger!

hapsburg Sun 25-Sep-16 10:00:31

Completely agree with balletgirlmum as an oboist she should be prepared to play cor when required. Same as flute/piccolo and bassoon/contra (contra is not DD's favourite thing, but if needed she does it). In fact if school have a cor your DD can use she is really lucky and should grab the oppportunity - get reeds, take it home and play it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now