If your child has been in a professional show for a short period

(33 Posts)
2014newme Thu 15-Sep-16 14:23:11

My child wants to audition for a professional show coming to our town, the show is only here a couple weeks. I don't think realistically my child would be successful, they are unlikely to be selected but I want to be prepared in case.
If your child has done this, how did they manage going out to the theatre every night? Mine goes to bed at 7.30 normally and doesn't cope well with tiredness. On the other hand can sleep anywhere so could nap in car. How did they manage school as well? How did you manage as a family ferrying them to and fro theatre, was there an impact on siblings?
We are not a theatrical family, we like watching but we aren't performers,so don't know any kids who have done this. As I say it's only fir a short time.
Thanks

dodobookends Thu 15-Sep-16 14:26:17

If the show is a two-week run, then young cast members will not be in every performance, and there are strict rules about the number of hours, days and times they are allowed to work.

How old is your dc?

2014newme Thu 15-Sep-16 14:27:25

They will be in every show.
Dc is 9

gillybeanz Thu 15-Sep-16 14:29:33

Mine has done this in theatre and music, but we ended up H.ed in the end as her diary got so full.
i wouldn't worry, they cope on drinking lots of coke and their adrenaline keeps them going.
It's fine for a couple of weeks and they'll soon catch up sleep.
For longer runs they come out of school and have a tutor and are chaperoned to the theatre.

2014newme Thu 15-Sep-16 14:30:18

Ah no, it says all dates mandatory perhaps that means you have to be available for every show but won't actually do every sho. That would be better.
Thanks

Katymac Thu 15-Sep-16 14:30:58

That wouldn't be allowed & you wouldn't get a license for it (in the UK)

They have teams of characters - so usually 3 Billys or 3 Matildas

Katymac Thu 15-Sep-16 14:32:06

That's so they can go on in an emergency - so your child would be one of the team

2014newme Thu 15-Sep-16 14:36:43

Brilliant thanks I don't think dc will be successful but if they are it won't be every night then, thanks.
Katymac I follow your posts about your dd so I am honoured you replied to my thread! 😀

HannahLily2014 Thu 15-Sep-16 14:40:45

My daughter is currently in the middle of a 2 week run of a musical in our town. She is in every show we were told she would be at audition stage (sounds similar to what you have been told in regards of needing to be available for every date), she has been granted a licence by our council and gets one day off per week, I think there are about 16 shows over 12 days, she only has a very small part so not sure if that effects how much she can work.

She is coping very well considering she isn't getting to bed until 11pm 6 nights a week and still getting up for school the next day. She is having the time of her life and learning so much, the chaperones take such good care of the children and the main cast have been so lovely to them all smile

She is a little older though and as a rule doesn't go to sleep until about 9pm some of her friends doing the production are a similar age to your child and seem to be coping very well with it all, hope that helps and good luck

ImAMorningPerson Thu 15-Sep-16 14:50:15

I'm so sorry OP, this is just heartbreaking to read.

He's made his choice it seems but you still deserve and we'd answers. He needs to be specific. Not clicking isn't good enough.
What's not clicking? How longs he felt this way? What's changed?

And not that it matters right now but me. Very very seldom make decisions like this unless they have someone else to go to. Men are petulant and need attention and if he isn't getting it from you then he's fulfilling it elsewhere.

Please please do not grovel.
Keep a cool head.
Be calm and be practical.
Don't be accessible to him and go to your mums for a good rest and cry, cry it all out and think logically what the next step will be.

Good luck. Thinking of you. flowers

2014newme Thu 15-Sep-16 14:52:55

Thanks Hannahlily that's good to hear. Have you found it a drag ferrying her around?

HannahLily2014 Thu 15-Sep-16 14:58:08

We were lucky in that a few kids from her dance school were cast so we've been sharing lifts with the ones who live near to us. If that wasn't the case it would be a bit of a pain, as a rule for matinee days the have to be at the theatre for 1pm and picked up at 10pm and for days with just an evening show its 6:30pm drop off and 10pm pick up.

The show my daughter is in is touring all round the uk wonder if it's the same one wink

Katymac Thu 15-Sep-16 14:58:37

DD didn't 'catch' Performing until she was in yr9 far too old for child appearances - so I was never in your position

But some of her younger friends from school did smile It's fun, exciting, hard work, not great money and the best thing they have every done

2014newme Thu 15-Sep-16 15:14:33

Thanks I actually have 2 dcs auditioning but one has a better chance than the other which could be tricky to man. How i would guess hundreds will be there and realistically I dont think either of mine will make the cut. They have also never been to an audition before.

2014newme Thu 15-Sep-16 15:15:05

Tricky to manage

2014newme Thu 15-Sep-16 15:38:06

Also do they give you tickets so young watch your economic one evening?

MrsJayy Thu 15-Sep-16 15:40:56

Dd has but she was 15 and in full production and rehersals will school let your dc off

MrsJayy Thu 15-Sep-16 15:42:22

You need to buy tickets any show dd has been in you bought tickets

2014newme Thu 15-Sep-16 15:45:53

Really? Wow I thought you would at least get a pair of tickets! given how much cash production companies make on some shows

dodobookends Thu 15-Sep-16 16:37:54

The production company won't get all the money from ticket sales, the theatre does. The theatre books the production, and pays the production company a set fee or a percentage of sales less the costs of advertising, front-of-house staff, admin etc.

MrsJayy Thu 15-Sep-16 16:59:06

Sorry i meant you might need to buy tickets

Witchend Thu 15-Sep-16 18:29:07

Mine have all been in runs, mostly amateur, but occasionally professional.

The amateur ones they've done they have sometimes been every night-but that's been when it's just one week. They have also been in teams.

I'd say it doesn't make that much difference while they're doing it as the adrenalin carries them through. However the let down can be pretty bad. grin

Although I remember the first year dd1 did panto (1 week). She was 5yo and they had a cast part after the last performance. She came home at midnight and talked non-stop for about 45 minutes and fell asleep in the middle of a sentence.

Wonderful time had by all anyway.

I've never had free tickets from any of them-although if they're not sold out in some theatres you can sneak into the back. The one dd2 is doing this weekend is free to watch, but we will get expenses back.

dodobookends Thu 15-Sep-16 18:31:47

One of the reasons theatres hold productions with youngsters in them is that they know it will boost box office sales, as family and friends will want to see the show. So it doesn't make economic sense for them to give away complimentary tickets.

I had to fork out £120 on tickets fairly recently <grimaces>

Witchend Thu 15-Sep-16 18:44:11

Yes dodo I remember the year when we had panto (all three), Annie (dd1), G&S production (dd1 and dd2), Bugsy (with dd1 as Blousey), and a couple of smaller ones as well.

At tickets not less than £8 a head, and some up to £15, and all the grandparents wanting to see, and the rest of our family, there were times I had tickets to the value of over £200 in the house... and then an envelope of them went missing...

My chaperone's qualification got well used though.

2014newme Thu 15-Sep-16 19:18:40

It usually costs about £30-50 each for a decent seat and we will go anyway even if dcs are not in it.
Wouldn't invite any other family members we aren't that kind of family that adults go to kids events.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now