How much does a clarinet cost?

(8 Posts)
MrsCurly Tue 13-Sep-16 13:20:52

A neighbour has a clarinet to sell - suitable for a beginner and nothing fancy. Have no idea what these things cost and how much I should expect to pay. Can anyone offer any advice??

Thank you!

akkakk Tue 13-Sep-16 13:39:13

look on ebay for similar - you can filter your search on sold items to show how much they go for... you can get a beginner clarinet brand new for about £100

£2-400 for something more reasonable...

bear in mind that if it is old / not been used for a while / wooden / etc. it might need work doing to it... If old it could also be of the old style with a different fingering etc.

unless it has been used recently I would be wary about buying it...

talk to the folks at a good music store local to you for more advice (or www.johnpacker.co.uk is a good online / offline store)

Ferguson Tue 13-Sep-16 20:23:03

You wouldn't get much decent for £100 I wouldn't have thought?

Yamaha 'student' model is £460.

Fleurdelise Tue 13-Sep-16 22:29:59

What model is it? The beginner's preferred model seems to be Buffet B12 (there is an Yamaha also on a similar price bracket). We were lucky to mention that we were looking for one to someone we knew and got one for £120 only used for 3 months. We didn't suggest the price, told the seller to give us their price and accepted what they asked for as it is around £350 brand new.

AnyTheWiser Tue 13-Sep-16 22:46:13

It depends on age and condition too. The plastic boosey & hawkes my DS is using is probably worth about £5 (most of which is the new reed). DD's clarinet model costs about £1300 brand new.
Have a look in a music shop, if you have one near you, to get a feel of second hand costs.

MrsCurly Wed 14-Sep-16 21:38:35

Thanks very much for this!

Lonecatwithkitten Thu 15-Sep-16 16:24:15

Buffet B12 new £460, good second hand just serviced £280. Watch out a service can set you back £60-80.
I ended up buying new for DD, because when we went and tried the clarinets the sound she made with the new buffet B12 was considerably better than a new Yamaha or any of the second hand ones. It can be a horses for courses situation.

SE13Mummy Mon 19-Sep-16 19:31:27

I'd advise talking to your child's teacher and maybe negotiating loan of your neighbour's clarinet so the teacher can have a look. There's nothing worse than a child's first experience of an instrument being ruined by an instrument that needs to be serviced and is hard to get a decent sound from. If your child has lessons at a state school or is involved with music service activities, you should be able to buy a new instrument minus VAT thanks to the Assisted Instrument Purchase scheme - it saved us hundreds when DD1 needed an upgrade on her trumpet!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now